What software to buy?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

If you’re just starting out, why not use Magix Movie Edit Pro? It’s user-friendly software with a built-in disc authoring software VCD/SVCD/DVD and even mini DVD.
      It has also a one-key editing functions like T key for cut clip and you can switch between storyboard and timeline modes just by pressing the TAB key.

There’s a full free tutorial on Magix Movie Edit Pro at
      http://www.freevideoworkshop.com

Happy editing

Participant

I am looking for software suggestions. I don’t need anything fancy, I basically want to do the following:
      1. Capture video from my mini-DV camera
      2. Keep the sound track from that footage
      3. Insert an occasional still photo, with the sound still running

I am looking at Adobe Premiere Elements. Would that do the job, or should I look at something else?

Inactive

Yep.
      Adobe Elements will do it and then some if and when you are ready to move beyond the basics.

Inactive

If you want to look to the free side, I *believe* that Avid FreeDV can handle this.

Participant

Free sounds good. I don’t know much about this, but from a quick look at Avid Free DV, I did have a question. Does it write to DVD in the proper format for most DVD players?

Participant

You can download a 30 day free trial of Sony’s Vegas Movie Studio here:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/step2.asp?DID=736

This is a very full featured package for well under $100 and will do all that you ask and way more.

If you want to move up to the full Vegas+DVD suite, you can get that 30 day free trial here:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/step2.asp?DID=698

Inactive

rpbelize Wrote:

Does it write to DVD in the proper format for most DVD players?

Your NLE (editing) software is not your DVD mastering/creation software. They are two different beasts. Yes, some editing software has an option to burn a project to DVD, but usually this is just included as a convenience (and isn’t that good).

Participant

tonsofpcs Wrote:

Your NLE (editing) software is not your DVD mastering/creation software. They are two different beasts. Yes, some editing software has an option to burn a project to DVD, but usually this is just included as a convenience (and isn’t that good).

Actually the Vegas+DVD is a full blown suite with three tools – Vegas (NLE), DVD Architect (a very powerful DVD authoring tool) and a Dolby-certified AC-3 encoder (for Dolby 5.1 sound if you need that).

The Vegas Movie Studio product has an easy to use (but not as powerful) authoring tool included. There is also Roxio and Nero for doing simple one-touch authoring.

I can’t speak to the other products (Avid, Apple, Adobe, etc….) as I don’t use them.

Inactive

Yes, I know that, note that my reply was not directed at you and that Vegas+DVD is that, Vegas (NLE) + DVD creation software, they are two separate pieces of software simply packaged together (as they are designed to work together).

Participant

I too wasn’t directing my comments at you but at rpbelize who might not know about the tools available with each package.

I think for the price the Movie Studio version of the product is great for beginners with what it contains as well as the power it really has coupled with the simplicity of use.

Participant

Thanks for all the replies!

In regard to the editing software vs. writing software, I do have a DVD burning software, i guess my question was, do these programs all save to a format that can easily be burned to DVD?

Inactive

They all tend to export DV AVIs, or at least Uncompressed AVIs or MOVs. Some will export DVD-ready MPEG2s. DVDs are made in MPEG2 format, but your authoring software should convert many video formats to MPEG2 for you (some don’t, most do).

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Storage Buyer's Guide

The best digital storage for video editors — 2020

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap