What should be the budget for a camcorder and a starting wedding video maker?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Specialty Topics Wedding and Event Video What should be the budget for a camcorder and a starting wedding video maker?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi,

If you are expecting have at least one wedding a month.1- What should be the budget for a camera to be used for weddings video making?

I am intending to buy a not very expensive camera for wedding video making. I want to be able to connect the camera to my Macbook pro and capture with Final Cut Pro or sometimes with Sony Vegas. Final product would be HD video to burn on a DVD.
      2- What camera can you suggest?
      3- What camera have you got?

Could I add wireless micros to the suggested camera?

Armflo, while I’ve also posted links and articles on Videomaker Forums regarding areas of your questions and concerns, and there are also a huge number of related postings with GREAT responses regarding cameras, equipment, etc. for entering into the wedding (and other) video production business, please do take a moment to check out the following at my video production and marketing blog, E.C. Come, E.C. Go, http://www.eccomeecgo.blogspot.com especially the following:

March, 2009 – A Wedding Video Production Primer
      June, 2099 – Costing Entry Level Video Business
      June, 2009 – What’s it Cost to Produce Average Wedding?

Might be helpful.
      Earl

Participant

Earl “might be helpful” – I would say extremely helpful – and the previous writing experience definitely helps to digest all the details.

I think even very experienced producers could be reminded of ideas and concept to try.

Armflo – as to answer your question – I have used Sony’s HVR-V1U for 3 years in all conditions for commercials, events, documentaries and on and on. ITS GREAT!

It’s small (easy to throw around) – but very powerful image – and power efficient.
      and a bargain – I simply STILL don’t need to upgrade – and considering it has a Zeiss lens – I feel some newer models would be a downgrade. But these are just my opinions and only worth, well nothing, since no one pays me for them! πŸ™‚

Hope you have much success and if you enjoy yourself 1/2 as much as I do – you’ll be happy!—Bri

Participant

Just an observation but there is no way you can film a wedding tethered to a macbook or any other computer for that matter. If it was your wedding what would you think? How much would you spend?

Participant

I think you can do an outstanding job with some pretty inexpensive video cameras; however, if this is going to be a hobby/business that you intend to grow I suggest you spend a little more on your camera than you need. People who don’t know anything about what you are doing will make judgements based upon your cameras. An expensive camera draws attention and potential clients. People will give your tripods a wide berth if they see a professional camera on it. I also think you need two cameras. I’ve always shot with at least two. One gives me the long shot and my safety, then I’m free with my second camera to go for the “money shot”. Low light performance is very important. Some churches are poorly lit for video and they may be going by candlelight. Reception venues can be worse. Wireless? I’ve been on a lot of movie sets and they spend a ton on wireless, but they still don’t trust them so they back them up with wired mics. I have a wireless mic. I’ve used it a few times. I don’t trust it. Do you know what an Zoom H4 unit is? They are fantastic. You can use them as they are or add a shot gun to them. Basically you only need it for the vows anyways. I hope I didn’t scare you off. I know you’re going to have a great time. Realize that you probably can’t avoid making a few hardware mistakes, I’ve made my share. Gerry in Calgary

Participant

I spent about $11000 starting my wedding video business this year, with $6400 on cameras (2 Sony FX1000’s).

Don’t forget to include money you are going to spend on web design, printing fliers or business cards, or other advertising…! Not much use paying thousands of dollars on equipment if no one knows. Most of my success has come from referrals from friends with my business cards, but I think my website is essential even for those people to check me out first.

By the way, thanks geraldprost for the note about the Zoom H4 – I might get one of those to improve my audio!

Participant

Buy nothing at this point. Educate yourself by staffing at places until ready to freelance then rent as needed until ready to start you rown company.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap