What Pro level camcorder should I buy to film my companys training for new hires

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion What Pro level camcorder should I buy to film my companys training for new hires

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I was apporved to spend about1,000 to 1,200 on a pro level camcorder. What should I be looking for. I did see some good looking 1080 camcorders at Best Buy that looked good. Will they work? Or should I stick to the pro models

Inactive

I went on line and found this:

AG-DVC20
      1/6″ 3-CCD DV PROLINETM Shoulder-Mount Camcorder with IEEE 1394 Interface

Any thoughts on this camera?

Participant

Before youbuyacamera, youneedto decide what you wantandwhat youneedin acamera.Do you needtoshoot HD?Do youneedgood low lightcapabilities?Do you need manual controls forthingslike focus, audiolevels,etc? What formatdo you wantto record onto (tape, flash,HDD,etc)?

After you decide that lookfor cameraswithfeatures you need.Also, don’t spend yourentire budget on acamera.You’ll also want lights,an external mic (lavs would probably workiftheseare trainingvideos), a tripod, possibly a dolly, video editing software, etc.

You may want to consider getting quotes from localvideographers. Theymay even be able to doit cheaper than youcan film it. Another option istoconsiderrenting equipmentinstead.

Participant

I don’t think any camcorder that cost 1000 – 1200 is pro level. You’re just breakin into prosumer I think.

Inactive

Thanks for the quick reply ralck and robgrauert great points as wellBefore youbuyacamera, youneedto decide what you wantandwhat youneedin acamera.Do you needtoshoot HD?Do youneedgood low lightcapabilities?Do you need manual controls forthingslike focus, audiolevels,etc? What formatdo you wantto record onto (tape, flash,HDD,etc)?I need for the picture quality to be extremely good. I would also like to have control over audio so I can add an external wireless mike. I have heard miniDV is better to edit because it does not compress. I will be shooting inside in a normal office environment without windows. After you decide that lookfor cameraswithfeatures you need.Also, don’t spend yourentire budget on acamera.You’ll also want lights,an external mic (lavs would probably workiftheseare trainingvideos), a tripod, possibly a dolly, video editing software, etc.The cost above is just for the camera. I have also budgeted for a mike, tripod, and editing software (my company only allows flash format). I can edit on my Mac at home. What are Lavs?

Participant

Asfar as a good picture quality, 3 CCDcamswill give you agood image, butIfell that image qualityis more aboutsetting up theshotthanthecamera youuse.If youuse a good tripod, a good lightsetup, frame the subject well,etc, then the videocan lookgood from even a 1chipcamera.

Idon’thaveany experience withthe DVC20, butIthink itshould be abletodo what youneed.

Asfaras yourbudget, I noticed you didn’tmention lights.Yousaid you’ll befilmingin an office,sothis might not be very crucial, but you’llprobably wantat the veryleastsomebounce boards (big,white, sometimesshiny boards that helptobounce lightaround from places youcan’t puta light, or if youdon’t haveenough lights to put oneinthat spot,etc).I helpedout on a shoot at my school which wasfilmedin an officeand they ended up using 3 bounce boardsforfilming a guysitting at his desk!Thesecan bereally cheap-takea lookat a local craft storeand youcan pick upsome foamorposterboard thatshould work.

I’m not a guru on formats, but the wayI understanditis, MiniDV stilldoescompress, just notas muchand notthesame waythat othercamsdo. Formatslike HDDand DVDusean MPEG-2compression whichis kind of awkward for editing.I’m not sure about flashformats.

And alavis atypeof microphonethat normallyclips ontothe subjet’s shirt (greatfor picking up someone speaking).

Inactive

Thanks very good info. I will make sure I get some bounce boards.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap