What PC configuration?

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I just got my canon VIXIA HF S100 and am now looking for a new PC to allow HD editing and burning to blue ray. Any suggestions as to what configuration of hardware I should have?

Grand,

Depends upfront on whether you want a PC or Mac computer. Lots of choices in config with either but for working with AVCHD video files you’ll want a system with a minimum of:

Dual or Quadcore CPU 2.2+ or better

4GB RAM or more depending on your system motherboard

A Graphics Card w/500MB RAM or better that also has DVI and/or HDMI interfaces to hook up to an HDTV

A Blu-Ray player/burner

An HD compatible computer monitor.

You can get those basics from most companies that sell computers. Price and overall quality issues vary between the different brands but they’re all using the same parts these days for the most part. With PC’s you can choose between an Intel based CPU or AMD. Both are quite good and have their strengths and weaknesses. AMD’s tend to run slightly less expensive than Intel’s and now that most of the popular programs are compatible with them it’s a toss up. Mac’s run only with Intel’s (and much better mind you.)

Concerning which OS to go with truly depends on where you are and what your comfort zone is (i.e. if you’re comfortable with one OS or if you don’t mind using something else.) Either is fine and again have their strengths and weaknesses. On the short end price favors PC’s but the more powerful and elaborate you get both systems end up in the same neighborhood pricewise. Lastly, if you’re just a hobbyist and go with PC, the Home version will be just fine. If you’re more serious and need more control over your computer, the Pro version is excellent. Ultimate has more ‘bells and whistles’ with stuff you may or may not need or use.

Participant

Thanx for the advice. As I am already comfortable with PCs I’ll stick with them. Probably it is better for me to go at least a little above the minimum requirements. But as always price is a consideration. Now I can figure out the ordering.

Grand,

Glad to have been of help. If you’re looking for straight up workstations take a look at Tiger Direct’s Systemax line of built to order (BTO) desk and laptop computers. They have a good selection of parts and if you call you should be able to order specific parts.

Prices are really good and you’ll be able to select your flavor of Vista or Win7. If you go with a workstation my suggestion is the pro version of either (I mention vista as it will shave a few bucks off the price and you can option for an upgrade.)

There are many other good BTO outfits, but I have the most experience with TD and their gear to recommend them with confidence. If nothing else, fooling around with configurations will give you a good idea of what you want to get from another company.

Happy Hunting.

I built my machine with parts purchased from newegg.com. Overall, I feel like I got a good deal and I learned a bit in the process. I have a pretty advanced understanding of computers, though, and a friend to help me if I got stuck. But in the end, the machine runs my Adobe Premiere with my Sony HD files quite well. It does not stutter showing the files in Media Player. It’s 64 bit, for what that’s worth.

Like you, I am more familiar with PC’s so I stuck with that despite lots of problems in the past. Now, however, it appears to work fine and I’m glad I stayed with the PC.

Building a PC is not for everyone, but it gave me the extra experience to troubleshoot little issues that come up here and there. The more technical knowledge you have, the better off you’ll be in my opinion.

For specs, I agree with composite1 ahead. Big question will be your operating system–I use 64 bit Vista and I’m not sure it’s best but it supports my 8 GB of RAM. XP won’t, but I really like XP. Do some research on Windows 7; from what I hear, it’s pretty good.

Good luck!

Pseudo,

I forgot to mention New Egg. I bought parts from them for my last build and they gave top notch service at affordable prices. And you’re correct, building is not for the faint of heart or easily discouraged. I personally, think it’s quite fun even when doing it on a deadline (the hair pulling troubleshooting and QA sessions I could pass on.) But there’s not much like that moment when everything is in place and you throw the power switch and it comes to life (around the shop there’s a dollar penalty to anyone who shouts, “IT LIVES!”)

64 bit Vista is pretty good (turn off the UAC if you want to use Adobe Products in peace.) But I’m hearing Win 7 is much better which is saying something. I’m an old XP fan, but I’m not putting it on anymore machines.

Inactive

Just thought I’d add my two-cents. I am running Windows 7 64-bit on an Intel Quad-Core with 4Gb of RAM. Running Vegas Pro 9, I am able to edit everything from SD up to 1080p, and even 2k and 4k RED footage. I purchased all the parts from Newegg for about $500. I already had a case, so you might be looking at around $600 to get a decent computer to edit HD. (Possibly a little higher if you get a really good graphics card, which is indespensible, especially if you’ll do a lot of color grading or effects.)

Also, Windows 7 is fabulous. Stable and fast.

Jeremy

Film,

Sounds like you’ve got something to work with. First chance you get, add onto your RAM. Our latest machine uses 8GB and in concert with two linked graphics cards render times are now actually pleasant. I’m not surprised that Win 7 is getting so many good nods. Vista 64 bit has been great since SP1 and SP2 has made it better. Since Win 7 got rid of UAC and some of the things people didn’t like in Vista, I figured it would be a winner.

Now my next question is why isn’t Win 7 like Snow Leopard when it comes to max RAM capacity?

Inactive

Good question. I know Apple claims that Snow Leapord can handle up to 16 TB of RAM, while from what ‘ve heard, 64-bit Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate can handle up to 192 GB. But, seriously, I’m not quite ready to hit the 192 GB mark yet, so I don’t think that’s a concern. (The interesting thing is that 64-bit Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium only support 8 and 16 GB respectively. That’s one thing I still think Microsoft has yet to figure out: to forsake the idea of constantly producing so many versions of its software!)

Film,

As an technician/business person I get what MS is doing. The tech in me sees the value of giving consumers limited RAM capabilities as most ‘out of the box’ consumers barely know what RAM is, let alone what it does for their computer. It’s overkill to sell consumers the Business version because either a builder or an outfit with IT techs will be handling the advanced capabilities of the OS. Where I get weirded out is with Ulitmate. Definitely overkill to sell to consumers and unless you’re planning to use your system as a high-end media center, kiosk, etc. there’s no need for all the bells and whistles that comes with it. I wouldn’t put it on a machine intended as an NLE, but I would for a system intended for a screening room. Bottom line is money. MS charges more the higher up the ‘OS Food Chain’ you go with their software. Apple just charges an arm and a foot across the board.

Inactive

composite,

I agree for the most part. However, I think that Microsoft could accomplish that goal with only two versions targeted toward consumers (i.e. a Home version and a Professional version). It seems slightly overkill to market four+ versions. Also, I think Apple’s marketing techniques over the last four years have been very effective in creating a type of “distaste” in most people’s minds for the “same old Microsoft smorgasboard” of OS choices. In the words of Mac (in the Mac v. PC commercials), “Mac’s just have one operating system with all the stuff you need.”

I think Microsoft would be doing itself a favor by making it possible for the average individual to easily see which version they should get, rather than have to pick from an assortment. In my ideal “Microsoft-utopia” there would be two version marketed to the public, Home and Professional, with other versions targeted toward businesses (Enterprise, etc.).

Just my thoughts.

I am looking to buy a Notebook core i7 for AVCHD editing.

The Toshiba Qosmio X500-014 sold here in Canadahas all the specs I want:

6gB RAM

core i7

2x 500 Gb hard drives (HOWEVER at 5400 rpm ???)

BD-ROM

display full HD 1080 p

Windows 7 Home

120 Watt power adaptor

Does anyone know if running hard drive at 5400 rpm matters or not for AVCHD editing?

Thank you,

Martin

Participant
      Inactive

hello, guys,

I knowalmost nothing about computers and I need help for a NLE desktop configuration.

What would you buy for yourself if you have to satisfy some demands like:

1. budget – 1500 usd (monitor, keyboard and mouse not included)

2. work with HD files (1920×1080)

3. editing with Edius Neo Booster for start but considering Edius 5

4. really big HD files (weddings)

5. wanting to do more than weddings

6. PC

So far as I know (reading from here and there) I need i7 CPU and a 64 bit OS (probably Windows 7)

The big problem is: what else ?

thank you for helping,

A. T.

Inactive

Hello!I am new to this community. I wanted to give my 2 cents on this topic. I currently purchased a Canon HG21 and I am saving to purchase a new computer. I am going the PC over MAC route. But what I am really scoping is the CyberPowerPC website. I won’t drop a link, in case that is a no no. It is easy to find with Google. But I humbly challenge someone to match their prices! For about $1000 you can get quite a system. But I am biding my time with them. They have specials all the time, and I will wait until I can get: an i7 quad core chip, 6 GB ram, 1 GB video card, 1 TB hard drive, Windows 7, and free shippingfor about $1000. I highly doubt TigerDirect or NewEgg can touch that. But this is all IMHO. I will look for people to give other suggestions, being that I am in the market..

Nice site btw.

Inactive

hello,

what do you think about this:

Body……………….Chieftec Smart series SH-01B-B-B black

Processor…………Intel Core i7 860 2.80GHz box

Motherboard……. Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

Hard disk………….2x Samsung 1 TB SATA-II 7200RPM 32MB PMR Spinpoint F3

Memory………… TeamGroup Team Xtreem 6GB DDR3 2000MHz CL9 triple channel kit

Blu Ray writer lightscribe………… LG BH08LS20 retail black

DVD Writer ………………………….LG GH22NS40 Bulk Black

Graphic card……………………….HP Quadro FX580 512MB DDR3 128-bit

Is this a good configuration for a dedicated HD video editing desktop?

Can you name for me a better graphic card within a range of 300 euro (approx 400 usd) ?

Inactive

sorry,I made a few mistakes

motherboard – Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3

memory – Team Xtreem 4GB DDR3 2000MHz CL9 dual channel kit Low Voltage P55 x2.

That machine should do it all, FilmareHD.

What OS are you gonna use?

Like composite1, I am hearing good things about Windows 7. I agree with him that I like XP too but it’s probably time to move on. Win7 goes 64 bit and handlesyour 6GB of ram, so I say go for it if you haven’t picked an OS yet.

Participant

I would recommend for those who are interested in building their own PCs to check out PC Perspective. Every week they speck out the best equipment for 4 different systems Dream system (i.e. if money were no object), the High end system (what most of us here will want), as well as a midrange and budget system. It is a good start, and you can then go up or down based on what your needs are.

http://www.pcper.com/hwlb.php

Safety,

Not a bad reference site. However, most of what I saw was for gaming rigs. My ‘dream rigs’ have max cores, max ram and the fastest single or dual SLI GPU’s (can’t afford to block more than two slots), baddest pro sound card and video capture/output card I can find.

Inactive

well, financial reasons lead me to this config with 4 HDD in raid10. the motherboard is this because it needs to be compatible with FireCoder Blu

Asus P6T Deluxe V2
      Model: P6T-DELUXE-V2
      Disponibilitate: Disponibil la comanda online

Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz skt 1366 Nehalem Box
      Model: BX80601920

HP Quadro FX580 512MB DDR3 128-bit
      Model: FY945AA
      Disponibilitate: Indisponibil momentan

LG GH22NS40 Bulk Black
      Model: GH22NS40

Samsung 500GB SATA-II 7200 rpm 16MB SpinPoint F3 x4
      Model: HD502HJ

Enermax MODU82+ 525W
      Model: EMD525AWT

Cooler Master HAF 922
      Model: RC-922M-KKN1-GP
      Disponibilitate: Stoc limitat

Mushkin 6GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Blue Essential Triple Channel Kit
      Model: 998659es
      Disponibilitate: Stoc limitat

Inactive

pseudosafari – indeed, W7 ultimate 64 bit

now I’m having headaches choosing a good monitor

my choice at this moment is Samsung XL2370 (led backlight)

but I’m also considering Samsung SM 240HD

juberg, i used laptops for years but switched to desktops (one at home, one at work). I am happy with this setup, but looking back I did some cool stuff on the notebooks, too. So, I think it’s just personal preference. The specs look good, and 5400 won’t make TOO much difference (that’s the problem with laptops, though, you can’t configure them like you can desktops!).

composite1, above you note that two linked graphics cards makes render times better. My BFG graphics card supports linking–is that something I should be looking at? I do AVCHD editing with Premiere Pro, and I’m starting my lengthy job. (8GB RAM, Vista 64 bit, quad core processor.) What areas does the extra card speed up? Just rendering?

Pseudo,

Off the top I know that Premiere Pro supports GPU acceleration. Whether it supports Dual GPU is another issue. I know AFX CS3 does (though unofficially) because we’ve noticed a major difference in rendering times with one card vs two. Like you, the system we use with AFX & Premeire has a quad core CPU, 8GB RAM. We’ve noticed bumps in speed since we switched over to 64 bit, put in faster RAM and finally with putting in the extra card. AFX and our 3D programs are the only ones we’ve noticed significant decreases in render time. Premiere and Vegas render quickly, but I do believe it’s because of the CPU and max RAM.

Far as what I’ve seen with Premiere pro, we can do some fairly complex edits with it but really we do all the ‘hard stuff’ in AFX. By the time we get to Premiere, we just use basic transitions and color correction. Since we’ve put int the extra hardware, Premiere does run well with only the odd program crash. Does it do so because we have 2 GPU’s? I don’t think so.

To be sure, check out Adobe’s Compatibility spec’s for Premiere CS4v.whatever. There you can find out whether it supports 2 GPU’s and get more info on how it will handle AVCHD footage.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap