What is your format?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I have seen many wedding videos over the years, my favorite have been those shot by inebriated family members that were given to me years later to “fix.” The format I work with now involves capturing everything the bride doesn’t get to see first and then grabbing some general b-roll of the event to set the stage. After that, I cut right into the ceremony, then go into more nice cutaways for another quick video and right into the reception we go! Somewhere mixed in are the toasts, first dance, cake cutting, tossing of everything & crazy dancing! I also include a slideshow of pics takenat theevent as a seperate special feature. This has been a winning formula for me recently and it’s an easy non-headache inducing cutting process that really allows me to focus on the beauty of the event.

Inactive

Depending on the length of the day, mine may be one DVD or 2. Usually the Greek Weddings are pretty long, whose ceremony lasts around 1 hour & 20min, and Reception lasts 5 or 6 hours. This is usually 2 DVD’s.

A normal wedding will be on one DVD.

HOW IS IT LAID OUT?

The first DVD is always the Ceremony and all related events and videos.

I always include a (documentary style) Full Ceremony video Edited with 3 camera angles.

I always include a musical synopsis of the ceremony, which includes pickup shots of the venue, flowers, alter, people, etc.

If the Bride and Groom do comments to each other, I include this.

Bridal Prep

Video of the pictures

Reception DVD

I usually make this DVD (or section of the single DVD) as a full video (I used to do individual clips but people said they liked to click play and let it go with options to pick a starting place). I create a menu to choose a starting place. I put the Reception in order of occurance.

I add a musical synopsis of the reception.

For each traditional moment, I’ll usually artsy it up and make it look nice, but it is usually chronologically correct.

I add a synopsis of all the good dancing.

Everyone really seems to like that format.

===========

Normally my Single DVD videos run about 2 hours.

Depending on what extra stuff I film, such as the rehearsal dinner, rehearsal, etc, it can be a bit longer.

If it is a Double DVD where the Ceremony and Reception are on different DVD’s then it can be upwards of 3 hours.

Inactive

wow, that sounds like a lot of work? Do you give them an option of choosing between a single & double DVD in terms of a price package?

Inactive

First off, to clarify, I don’t use Dual-Layer disks. Although I may start.

No. I usually only add the second DVD if what I’m doing does not fit onto 1.

Such as the example I gave with the Greek weddings which last upwards of 1 hour & 20 min. That takes much of the time on the DVD. After adding that much video, there is only enough room left for a couple short clips (comments from Bride/Groom and a musical synopsis). So then I add the second DVD with all of the Reception stuff.

If I didn’t add the 2nd DVD they would have no Reception.

Typically though, the ceremonies are only about 30mins. I can, then, fit everything onto one disk. Usually it ends up being about 2 hours or less worth of video.

I am presently in the process of altering my approach to shooting and producing wedding video. I’m in the outlining and resource generation stage and it will be a bit before I’m ready to commit on web site and promotional literature – brochures, flyers, etc. That being said…

…this is what I HAVE been doing for the past couple of years, and where I am going with it in the very near future.

Pre-change – general style is journalistic/documentary, shooting lite (say 3, or less, MiniDV tapes per camera – usually a portion of 3rd tape), and capturing the “meat and potatoes” of the event. This includes ALL the ceremony (one camera continuous, 2nd unit run & gun, pick & choose) from procession to recession, a few seconds of establishing shots, cutaways, and guest shots pre-staged (set up, directed & shot prior to ceremony whenever possible); lite shooting of guests during transition between recessional & reception (wine & cheese, portrait session, etc.) or a few shots outside the ceremony venue.

Pre-change – Two-camera shots (one wide, run & gun on monopod, one tight & steady on tripod) of bridal party introductions & main dances: B&G, B&D, G&M, bridal party & exhibition dance if any. Some two-camera of toasts for cuts to reactions – main cam on persons giving the toasts. Two cam on garter & bouquet toss (one on couple or B or G); one cam on cake cutting.

I use an arsenal (currently 4) of Zoom H2 recorders for primary audio; wireless on one camera during vows & rings; ambient sound on second camera (during ceremony) and during any other portion of shooting that camera produces. I incorporate these sources in the best way to improve or maintain audio quality & value.

I rarely remain for the send-off, rice, rose petals and will usually never shoot more than three party dances per camera, alternating dances and sometimes if the dance is particularly visual and fun, both cameras will go – one medium, one tight.

This will be pretty much the same process when I make the change, but shooting will be even MORE selective and tighter, keeping to two tapes or less, and new fees will change from a basic, all-encompassing $1,500 starter & six hours coverage, to a three-level range starting at $1k, $2k, $3k. $1k will be live vows/rings, everything else highlighted with music montage treatments and maximum length will be 30 minutes or less.

The $2k increases to 4 hours & additional shots; the $3k increases up to 7 hours & additional coverage. These two levels will break out of the music/montage treatment and utilize primarily native audio for the events captured or represented.

These will average 1 hour, maybe 1.5 hours, and have NO embellishments, special FX, beauty shots, etc. They will simply include more of what happened, heavier photo session representation. All gigs include two cameras, while the $2k & $3k will include two cameras and two operators.

Another category will also include three levels, with focus and emphasis on beauty shots, beauty passes, broad cinematic strokes, specific sequences obtained and B&G cooperation solicited to generate special footage for SFX, bridal elegance and related production. It will be referred to as “cinematic” production, and include 2, 5 and 8 hours. Price will start at $2,500, going to $3,800 & $5k for a highliy treated production that includes the intensely edited and treated “cinematic” production and what will essentially be a documentary production on a separate dVD.

I do not intend for the base cinematic production to go longer than 45 minutes; the second tier to go longer than one hour; or the combination extended top level to exceed two hours.

All this is based on standard definition acquisition & delivery. High Definition production steps in the last quarter of ’09, and prices may or may not change.

Being a broadly and highly diversified production company I am not all that worried whether or not I do ANY weddings, but this will be what I offer, what I charge, and what I do – no negotiation beyond establishing acceptable payment plans for folks who want it but cannot afford to go there without breaking their payments up into smaller chunks. Like the old layaway formula, they do not get the product until the outstanding balance has been paid in full.

ours is a highlight of the entire day between 45 minutes -1:00 hours long..it set to music and the only audio are from the vows and speeches and (the odd funny lines)
      i think part of the reason no one watches their wedding video more than 3x is the length they have to put aside to actually watch it…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best stock video sites — 2021

Stock video sometimes gets a bad wrap in the filmmaking community. In reality, however, we see stock video used every day in any number of applications. Below, you'll find our selections for the best places to look for stock...
homicide-bootstrap