What is a M2TS file?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Recently bought a Panasonic HDC-TM300 High Definition video camera. (Yes, it’s lovely.) Played with it shooting stuff on the street etc. Imported them to my computer and the played fine using an ordinary viewer. Now my computer doesn’t recognise these samefiles. Shot some more saving to an SD card. Can’t get the computer to play them nor the ones already imported THAT DID PLAY when I first imported them. Investigated and found they were M2TS files. Adobe Premiere Elements 7does accept them but plays them haltingly, seeming to jump several frames along as it bumbles through. Very puzzled that files that did run now don’t. They all play perfectly well if reviewed within the camera itself. I know little about the ins and outs of video file formats. Nor, I admit, about the technicalities of video recording itself. I would like to learn. All help very gratefully received.

Participant

I believe that is a type of MPEG2 file. You should convert those files to DV/NTSC to edit them.

Participant

Editiing DV-AVI will give you a smoother time with video editing, but if your ‘core’ (processor) can handle it, I would edit the MPEG-2 files as they are – you might have some renaming to do (.mpg will probably work fine).

I’d do an AVI conversion if the stuttering during editing/playback becomes unbearable. Just realize that DV-AVI is not a raw format – it uses compression too. Having MPEG-2 converted to DV-AVI, you’ll end up dealing with both types ofcompression schemes(noticeable information losses) of both formats. You probably won’t tell the difference, considering that one might exist.

Anyway, if MPEG-2 editing gets virtually impossible to work with, a DV-AVI conversion is your best bet. Have you looked at AVS Video Converter? Also, make sure your settings don’t kill quality of the end result. You might need to compare the converted and unconverted side-by-side in order to tell.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap