What happened to the good old MPG extension? m4v???

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing What happened to the good old MPG extension? m4v???

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

It is very annoying that in FCP and Compressor that there is no way to export a file as MPG. It’s either m2v or m4v. And unfortunately you MUST use quicktime to view these files.

So is it really MPG 1 – 2 – 4 then? Because I have always been able to view mpg files in all media players.

These files have limited viewer capabilities and I want as broad an audience as possible to be able to see my work… and without having to download a bunch of extra software. CLients do not like that.

Participant

That’s odd. I have the latest version of Compressor and exported mpeg2 with the normal extension the other day.

Inactive

As far as I know, Compresser also has an mpeg-1 export format, one which I’ve used on multiple occasions. It should be right in the formats folder, where you will find export settings for mpg-1, m2v, and mp4/m4v. My guess is that you are using either the DVD presets or Apple Devices Presets.

Hope that helps.

Participant

Interesting. How do you change them or create new settings? I am using the presets in the long list that pops up for mpg 1-2-4 (not DVD settings 120 min 150min 90min).

No matter which one I use it always comes out m2v or m4v or whichever.

Do I need to create a pre-set?

Inactive

Hmm… that is strange if the mpeg 1 preset is creating m2v or m4v.

It should be there, but well, there is a quick/dirty was to make an mpg-1 preset. What you want to do is create a new custom preset, in the mpeg-1 format. That should set the file extension automatically to mpg. After that, you can set your frame-rates/audio options to your convenience, but if you set it to mpeg-1 file format, that ought to do the trick. If that doesn’t work, then I’d contact apple, because I know that compressor can make mpeg-1 streams.

In addition, if you need any more assistance, just drop a post, as I know I can be a bit unclear at times.

Participant

The file extension of most video formats can vary – .m4v files are typically MPEG-4. Both MPEG and MPEG-2 can be named MPG, MPEG, MPE, MOD, TOD, MP2 (which is mostly MPG-2), MOV, etc. Just don’t misjudge a video file by its extension. My JVC Everio HDD camcorder records MOD (MPEG-2) files with my editing softare that imports and exports MPEG-2, but will not allow exporting MPEG-2 with the .MOD extension. Check the format you are exporting, not the file extension which your editing software is trying to name.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap