What happened to the good old MPG extension? m4v???

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing What happened to the good old MPG extension? m4v???

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

It is very annoying that in FCP and Compressor that there is no way to export a file as MPG. It’s either m2v or m4v. And unfortunately you MUST use quicktime to view these files.

So is it really MPG 1 – 2 – 4 then? Because I have always been able to view mpg files in all media players.

These files have limited viewer capabilities and I want as broad an audience as possible to be able to see my work… and without having to download a bunch of extra software. CLients do not like that.

Participant

That’s odd. I have the latest version of Compressor and exported mpeg2 with the normal extension the other day.

Inactive

As far as I know, Compresser also has an mpeg-1 export format, one which I’ve used on multiple occasions. It should be right in the formats folder, where you will find export settings for mpg-1, m2v, and mp4/m4v. My guess is that you are using either the DVD presets or Apple Devices Presets.

Hope that helps.

Participant

Interesting. How do you change them or create new settings? I am using the presets in the long list that pops up for mpg 1-2-4 (not DVD settings 120 min 150min 90min).

No matter which one I use it always comes out m2v or m4v or whichever.

Do I need to create a pre-set?

Inactive

Hmm… that is strange if the mpeg 1 preset is creating m2v or m4v.

It should be there, but well, there is a quick/dirty was to make an mpg-1 preset. What you want to do is create a new custom preset, in the mpeg-1 format. That should set the file extension automatically to mpg. After that, you can set your frame-rates/audio options to your convenience, but if you set it to mpeg-1 file format, that ought to do the trick. If that doesn’t work, then I’d contact apple, because I know that compressor can make mpeg-1 streams.

In addition, if you need any more assistance, just drop a post, as I know I can be a bit unclear at times.

Participant

The file extension of most video formats can vary – .m4v files are typically MPEG-4. Both MPEG and MPEG-2 can be named MPG, MPEG, MPE, MOD, TOD, MP2 (which is mostly MPG-2), MOV, etc. Just don’t misjudge a video file by its extension. My JVC Everio HDD camcorder records MOD (MPEG-2) files with my editing softare that imports and exports MPEG-2, but will not allow exporting MPEG-2 with the .MOD extension. Check the format you are exporting, not the file extension which your editing software is trying to name.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs for video — 2021

These are the best mirrorless cameras and DSLRs on the market today, organized by use case. All are worthy of your hard-earned dollar.
homicide-bootstrap