What editing software works with AVCHD?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Editing What editing software works with AVCHD?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

I’m about to purchase thePanasonic AG-HMC150. The only problem I see is that many editing programs don’t support the AVCHD and AVCCAM technology. Right now I use Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0. Can I use this program to edit AVCHD? If not what editing program would be a good program in general and one that would alsosupport this technology?

Participant

Pro X from Magix supports it. (LINK)

Participant

I think FCP supports AVCHD now.

Participant

Vegas Pro 8 – I’ve been editing native MTS files for a while now. If your computer is not up to the compression, VASST and NewBlueFX have a package called UpShift which will convert AVCHD tolightly compressed MPEG-2 – It’s not a bad deal and I may be going down that road myself (I just lost access to my Core 2 Duo box and am back on my Pentium 4 2.53ghz one).

Inactive

Yeah. I am with birdcat. I use Vegas Pro 8, and i edit the footage very smoothly.

GO VEGAS!

OH, and Adobe Premiere Pro SC4 also suports AVCHD natively.

Participant

Three votes for Sony Vegas 8 Pro.

After all, didn’t Sony start AVCHD? It works best with their software. Some people can’t figure it out, but it actually isn’t very hard. Vegas makes it easy. i warn you though, there is a learning curve.

Participant

If your computer is not up to the compression, VASST and NewBlueFX have a package called UpShift which will convert AVCHD tolightly compressed MPEG-2 – It’s not a bad deal and I may be going down that road myself (I just lost access to my Core 2 Duo box and am back on my Pentium 4 2.53ghz one).

OK – I found out the hard way – A Pentium IV running at 2.53Ghz and 2GB RAM is not powerful enough to edit AVCHD natively (the Core 2 Duo I had did it but I have that machine no more….). I did however pick up a copy of UpShift from VASST.com today and it works splendidly. Batch converts MTS files (highly compressed MP4) to M2T files (lightly compressed, high bitrate MPEG2) although it is taking forever to convert all the files I need for a project I am working on (series of five videos). Makes editing a breeze. Not bad pricing either at $49 and downloadable.

Actually, Sony AND Panasonic developed the format together – iMovie and the FCP family allow working with AVCHD files from the HMC-150, according to Panasonic literature and comments on various forums from users.

Participant

Nice! Thanks for the info EarlC. I’ll remember that.

Inactive

Hi there,i have been trying to make my AVCHDwork with Adobe Premiere Pro SC4 and but it doesn`t seem to work… could you give me a hint? … my camera is a AG-HMC70P Panasonic… I have tryied some editing programs but it has been imposible… thanks

Participant

Nobody here likes Cineform NeoScene, but for $129.00 is makes it so you can edit AVCHD on a slower computer. Just feed in the files through the Cineform interface, and you have (literally) Hollywood Quality .avi files with much better chroma.

People would rather buy new machines than spend $129.00 on a Hollywood quality format converter? I don’t get it….

Inactive

AVC-HD works on final cut express as well

Participant

I have a Panasonic AVC-HD format, model AG-HMC70P. I was told it would work with Final Cut Express 4. I am trying to use the Log and Transfer function and it works ok…right up to the point I try to import. That’s when I get a “no data” error message. I can view the clips and everything, just can’t import. Anybody got an idea?

Inactive

well, actually you can’t edit avchd video with adobe premiere element 4. Unless you use this plug-in: http://www.video-to-flash.com/flash_video_importer/

this plug-in software allows you to import flv and hd videos into adobe premiere. Hope will help you.

Participant

This link may help. The AVCHD format the 150 uses is not the typical AVCHD. Panasonic has a transcoder download that they state…

“This application software transforms AVCHD clips recorded by Panasonic camera such as AVCCAM into P2 DVCPRO HD format. This enables users to edit the clips on non-linear editors which do not support AVCHD but P2 DVCPRO HD.”

This may help you out.

https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/download.htm#avchd

Inactive

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT

AVCHD Converter for Mac converts AVCHD(MTS/MT2S/MOD/TOD) videos to all popular HD/Common videos suitable for different mobile devices.

AVCHD Converter for Mac can be used like MTS Converter, M2TS Converter, TS Converter, MOD Converter, TOD Converter, etc.

Note: This version is for Mac OS. If you are using Windows, please click here

Inactive

Note: This version is for Mac OS. If you are using Windows, please click here.

Tanbee AVCHD Converter for Mac is necessary for AVCHD camcorder users to convert and edit AVCHD videos in MTS, M2TS, TS, TP, MOD, TOD format on Mac OS X. the AVCHD converter helps you convert videos to popular mobile players such as iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, iRiver, Creative Zen, PSP, Blackberry, etc.

Import converted files to some popular applications like QuickTime, iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, etc. on Mac OS X. AVCHD Converter Lets you upload converted video to YouTube, Google, Yahoo, MySpace, etc. for sharing with others.

AVCHD Converter for Mac has powerful video editing function, such as video trimming, cropping and effect adjustment.

The AVCHD Converter for Mac can also extract and convert audio files, capture pictures from various videos, make videos out of pictures with JPG, BMP or PNG.

Only a few clicks to complete the conversion with previewing all the process on real time.

AVCHD Converter for Mac converts AVCHD(MTS/MT2S/MOD/TOD) videos to all popular HD/Common videos suitable for different mobile devices.

AVCHD Converter for Mac can be used like MTS Converter, M2TS Converter, TS Converter, MOD Converter, TOD Converter, etc.

This step-by-step guide will show you how to convert video files with this software.

Before you start, please download, install and launch
    Intel Version (9.00M)
    PowerPC Version (8.64M).

Step 1: Load video files

Click “Add Files” button to add video files you want. After video files are imported successfully, you will see all of them listed in the program:

Step 2: Select output format

Select one or more files in the file list, click “Profile” drop-down button, and select an output format for the selected files in the drop-down list that opens.

Step 3: Edit Video (Trim,Crop,Effect)

Select a video file in the file list, click “Trim”,”Crop”,”Effect” button to open window for edit.

Step 4: Convert

After the above settings, check the needed files to convert in the file list, and click “Convert” button on the window to start converting.

More info
    http://www.avchd.converter-for-mac.com

• Viewing 16 reply threads

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2020

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers...
    homicide-bootstrap