what does “CG” mean?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m pretty new to video editing, and I am a subscriber to Videomaker. I always read about adding a CG or graphic to your video, or a CG Fireball. I’m guessing that CG is a special effects program..?? If it is, what do the C and G stand for? If I’m wrong please explain to me what CG is. Thanks.

Inactive

I don’t know for sure but I know it’s not a special effects program, at least not the name of one. And I think that CG stands for Composite Grahpics or something in that neighborhood.

Inactive

I think CG stands for Computer Generated. For example, the initials CGI, when used to refer to motion pictures, stands for Computer Generated Imagery. Examples: Spiderman, Jurassic Park. I believe CG may also used to mean Computer Graphics.

Participant

CG stands for Character Generation/Character Generator. It basically is refers to adding graphics like you mentioned to video programs. CG refers to the graphics that you see on videos or television and full page graphics as well as lower third graphics, Items used for naming the person talking on camera.

Some in the industry call the graphics by the following:

Name keys
      lower thirds
      CG
      or Supers (for naming folks)

other names are
      Info pages
      Full page
      CG (for full screen graphics)

In the past for video production you used to have to have a CG (a stand alone character generator device or machine) to produce graphics but that is no longer the case. Programs like Photoshop, an image editing program can make the graphics that the CG would normally make.

Some tv stations do still use CG’s, a seperate device that generates graphics. Many non-linear editing programs have Title Tools which are basically built in CG’s.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap