What do I need to use my Tiffen filter on my Canon XL2?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Production Gear What do I need to use my Tiffen filter on my Canon XL2?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I have a Canon XL2. I just picked up a Tiffen ND Grad filter, which is a gradient from CTO to neutral density 6, used for shooting the sky and the ground within your camera’s lattitude. The problem is that I don’t have the type of filters that screw on to my lens, it is the type that is a thick, square plate of glass. I haven’t worked with this type of filter yet in school, so I’m not exactly sure how they attach to the camera. My best guess is that these type of filters are for film cameras and not digital, but that is nothing more than a guess. Can anyone help me shed some light on this issue? Someone in my class told me I would need a matte box, but I tried to research this online and could not find one that fits my XL2. Thanks for your help!

Participant

one brand (there are others) of filter holder is cokin. does your canon take screw in filters? You’ll need a step up ring and filter holder. Any photo store that carries slrs should be able to get them for you.

Participant

What you are looking for is called a Matte Box. They can be very expensive. If you have the option of getting a screw on filter you might want to try that. Unless you want a Matte Box anyway. They are great for shading the lens.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors — 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap