What computer equipment to buy?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Besides a Power Mac G5 and Final Cut Pro, what computer equipment would I need to run a successful video production studio? What kinds of hardware and cables will I need?

Lets make a big list guys!

Thanks all!

Participant

Forget the G5s the MAC PROs will be out next month. Other than that it depends on what you want to do. If you want to go pro Avid and Final Cut are the way to go. If not then download some demos and find out which software you like. If you decide to go with a windose machine then the new Core 2 Duo chips from intel are stomping on AMDs fastest right now. Also the competition between them has created a price war which makes it a buyers market for chips right now just go at least dual or quad core.(quad is a very expensive option and requires workstation class chips and mother boards) Other than that a gig or two of your favorite ram, as much storage as you can afford and a decent video card and you got yourself one bad ass system. If you want exact specifics for every cable and screw you need there are many sites offering tutorials on how to make your own box.

Inactive

Thanks alot for the tip on the Mac Pro’s, I was about to owner a G5 next week. I know when I bought my Sony HDR-FX1 and the price dropped $500 2 weeks later.

Are there any other hardware recommendations? I’ve got 4 250GB harddrives, 2 are external. I’ve got a Max Displays 19inch dual monitor. Are there any special cards I could buy to make the communication between the computer and camera better, or is firewire good enough?

Inactive

Firewire is pretty much the same regardless of who makes the board. Most of the time they’ll even use the exact same chips. a good long time ago, I’ve seen $150 firewire cards that used the exact same Ti chips that the $40 card had.

If you are getting dropped frames in your videos, the likely culprits are going to be not enough RAM, too slow of a processor, hard drives that are too slow, or some combination of those. I never dump video directly onto an external hard drive because of this.

Just watch tose aspects, and you’ll be fine.

Inactive

Ah, that’s probably where I hit the brick wall. My external drive is a USB 2.0 connection only. Maybe the data transfer rate isn’t as hot as firewire. That’s what I get for using old equipment! πŸ™‚

Someday I’ll buy a nice SATA Firewire external hard drive, and I’m sure I’ll wind up agreeing with you. πŸ˜€

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap