What Camera Should I Purchase?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Get that question a lot here, don’t we? Well, I thought it might be an interesting discussion if more than the usual top 10 posters came onboard and told what camera they use, for what and why? Might develop into an interesting thread that could answer the question for a LOT of folks reading this forum.

I’m currently shooting the Canon cameras, two XL1 and one GL2, standard definition, but will likely go with the Panasonic HMC-150 sometime last quarter 2010.

I purchased the Canons for their superior glass (lens quality) and awesome motion stabilization capabilities, over all brand reputation and credibility. ALSO, a major factor is/was that where I am a major Canon repair facility is less than a 30-minute drive away.

I want to acquire the HMC-150 based on hands-on experience, fellow independent video producer input, solid comparative samples and input from front lines users and respected researches such as Mark Von Lanken. And this model falls within the budget levels I perceive I can afford for the highest possible quality.

Sorry, forgot to enter key words but couldn’t find a way to do so after the fact. Sure going to cut down on search efforts using that infamous question. ;-(

Inactive

good idea – this thread would’ve helped me out a few months ago

camera: Canon Vixia HF S10 (same as Vixia HF S100 except S10 has a built-in harddrive… sometimes it is cheaper to get the HF S100 +32 memory card … if buying at reg. retail price)

about me: amateur w/ little experience trying to build a portfolio for future job opportunities. extremely low budget

purpose of camera: to work on small-market commercials and social media videos – as well as home videos

editting software: FCP on 2.4 GHz iMac with Intel Core Duo.

why this camera: great lens – wonderful pictures- couldn’t afford professional camera and wasn’t sure how much use i would get out of a more professional camera- the hfs10 is small – I can still use it for home videos hassle-free. you can watch reviews and see picture quality on youtube. FCP handles the footage well, my computer handles it ok – but probably wouldn’t work well on any less of a computer. I sometimes wish for a better computer.

Participant

Good topic! I am using a Canon HV 40. The company I was with used Canon HXA1. When I decided to go on my own, I opted for the HV40 because it would do HDV and allowed for an external mic – and it was really all I could afford at the time. I have been very impressed by the quality of the footage! Because it is so small, I can use a lightweight Manfrotto tripod, which makes the total setup quite light and portable: a definite plus for me.

I think the only downside so far would be shooting an event longer than an hour – somehow the need to change tape never comes at an opportune time! So far that reason I am looking (dreaming?) of a tapeless camcorder replacement. At this point the Canon HF S21 would be the model that I am considering. I know it is still a “consumer” camcorder but it is all I can afford at this point andits optics compares well with the SD pro camcorders of yesterday but it does true HD and has a LARGE lcd monitor – again a plus for me!

I really thought that if a significant number of participating forum readers/members chimed in here this post could actually become a decent GUIDE for many of those who ask this questions. Anyone else interested in creating a post that might answer this oft-asked question?

Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
    Participant

“What camera should I purchase?”

I believe the first question to ask before is how much money can I spend and what equipment do I already have. When I first arrive to Videomaker forum I ask “Should I buy two cameras?” and at that phase I was a total newb. I didn’t have the money to buy a prosumer so I bought a Sony DSR SR47 and with this SD camera (awful quality by the way) I have done many projects in which I have learn a lot. I will quote a golden reccomendation by Aspyrider from the forum threat I mention above:

“Also remember that the investment in yourself will payoff the best.
    Learn and learn some more. A couple of Canon HD10’s in the hands of a pro will look fantastic
    compared to an amateur with a Pro camera.
    So the key to good video isn’t in your equipment, its in you”

I also learn that in order to make an amateur camera look like pro you really need to learn how to used it, really know were to point the camera (Using the rule of third, 180 degree rule,etc) light the set the best possible and I believe the must important is learning how to edit videos professionally (so you can make the miracles of editing). I luckily had a tripod (I have two. One is a 1960 old tripod that my grandfather had in his house. Is in stainless steel, very good tripod) , some lights, microphones, some necessary cables and a laptop for editing. Now that I knew what equipment I had the other question was, what will I use it for? I opted for a video business. One thing I want to point out, if you want to buy a camera for short films or movies, get any camera, it really doesn’t matter. You will probably never get any income out of your movie. You will need a Star Wars kind idea to get it. On the business side using the kind of camera that I have clients will doubt your expertise, that why you really need a portfolio (better explained, all the free jobs you did before starting to charge for your services) which shows you really know what your doing. That why my business motto is “its of great importance to us that you receive a top quality product and better than you expect it to be” Under certain conditions, let me clarify again, under certain conditions you can actually make my camera look professional, but the real magic is in the editing. That why you need to spend hours and hours doing tutorials for your editing software and not just to learn how to used it, is making tutorials on a weekly basis. Also learning to use an audio, graphic designs and motion graphics software is not a bad idea. There are thousands of tutorials on the internet and your technical guide for all the other video related question you can find it here on Videomaker.

Then with all this knowledge on your head you will start noticing the things you really need on a camera. Looking at top of the line $8000 camcorders on B&H with all does wonderful things and features and you read wonderful reviews about it, you bought it and then you see another videographer with a $3000 camera giving the exact same quality as your camera. Like Aspirider said “the key to good video isn’t in your equipment, its in you”

• Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap