what camcorder best for music video not above $2000

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion what camcorder best for music video not above $2000

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

hello,am a musician also a film editor i need a camcorder best for music video within this price rage $2000.

Participant

Best is a relative term. I have shot several music videos using just a Canon HV20 and HV30. These are inexpensive HDV cameras that use MiniDV tape. I edit in SONY Vegas Pro due to its excellent audio capabilities. Nut then we bought our cameras 3 years ago and a lot has changed since.

What you need to think about is the resolution you want. These day’s I’d go with a camera that can shoot 1920 X 1080 in 24p native. Also consider the availability of add-ons such as wide angle lens, filters, lens hoods etc as these all are important for music videos. I use a Raynox HD 6600 pro wide angle lens and I am quite happy with it.

I’d take a look at the Canon G10 which is more of a prosumer camcorder at around $1,500… or better yet the Canon XA10 which is an entry level pro camera at around the $2,000 mark. Just remember that you will probably want some additional items for yoru rig and that will add to the cost.

You can see a music video shot with the Canon HV20 here: http://www.vimeo.com/1537564

adeoye – Here is the answer I gave to a similar question a few days ago:

If you want a $2000 pro quality camera with crystal clear 1080p video, 10x optical zoom, manual audio gain and built-in pro XLR mic inputs, I suggest the Canon XA10.

You can spend less on a high quality consumer camcorder such as the $1100 Sony HDR-CX560V, the $890 (on sale) Panasonic TM-900or even a DSLR that produces moire-free cinematic shallow depth of field images such as the $1000 (body-only) Panasonic GH2, but only the XA10 gives you pro control of both audio and video for $2000.

The challenge will be finding one – it’s such a great camera that it’s backordered in most places. I suggest you get on the backorder list at Adorama. They don’t charge your card until they ship. Or, if you can’t wait, you can pay $250 more and get one right now from Amazon.

Good luck,

Bill

http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com

Inactive

Canon T2i with some good lenses. Maybe sigma.

Inactive

DSLR is the wave of the future, so I would suggest Canon 60D($1,000), Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 ($450), Glidecam 2000 HD $300 if you want stabilizer and nice flying like shots, tripod at least $150, custom make your own slider, rigs, dolly, and etc. You should have it for under $2000.

Participant

@ Onehorn: given that the Canons you shot with are on the small side – what did you use for steadicam? Audio capture?

Participant

OK I use a fly-cam for motion shots. It is an inexpensive “made in India” rig, but it works OK. Getting the balance right takes a bit of practice. If you go with the XA-10 I’d recommend a Glide-Cam HD-2000.There are several good steady-cam like rigs available, and you can even make one yourself if you are handy that way.

For audio capture for music videos I just an Audio Technica stereo shotgun mic attached either to the camcorders hot shoe, or to a camera handle that I use a lot.

Remember that you will not actually use the music or most sound captured during the shoot, as you replace that music with music from the artist or bands CD. We use a large boom box to play back the music from the CD and have the artist or band sing a long with the CD. (not lip-synch but actually sing and or play along) That makes it easier to synch up with the CD audio in post

When working live performances I get an audio feed from the mixing console and feed that to a tripod mounted camera near the Front of House mix position. I sometimes use a live mic to capture audience sounds when I want them and mix that with the audio from the console. I just use the on camera mic to capture audio for the close-up camera as that is just used for synch purposes and is nto used in the final product.

But sometimes you do want some captured sound. There are a couple ways to handle that. For the music video I posted here I just used the stereo shotgun mic and captured the audio of the little girl and her mom and the door shutting, and also the walking in gravel sound at the end. But those sounds were done as separate takes, but we used the camcorder to capture the audio, and pasted the audio in during post.

Participant

Thanks Onehorn. I remembered this (replacing audio) _after_ I posted. Thanks for the additional info also.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap