What advantage do mulitple cores give?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Inactive

The new trend in multi cores on a processor is like what they used to do with increasing Ghz. First they came out with dual core, then they moved to core 2 duo. So if someone has a mother board which accepts 2 processors and both are core 2 duo processor which is 4 cores, does that mean that you open up 8 instances of Adobe Premiere, and each rendering occurs on its own core? Or does it mean that 1 instance of Premiere or other number crunching software will work not quite 8 times more efficiently? Or have hardware programmers not yet gotten around to implementing multicore functionality yet?

virtualscribe

Inactive

I just made up random info about an 8 core system in my previous post. But I guess Intel is actually working on doing this weird thing. It was unveiled at CES behind closed doors and written about at PC Mag, dated January 8th 2007.

PC Mag

It was super exciting for me when the pentium 3 chips came as dual processors with their blazing sub 1Ghz speeds.

I can’t even imagine what the possible applications are, for these multicore systems. Maybe predicting the weather will be easier with all these processors telling me to put on a rain coat or snow boots.

virtualscribe

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best live streaming equipment — 2021

These days, anyone with access to a smartphone can connect with fans and friends from all over the world. However, the more complex your stream, the more gear you’ll likely need. Each set up has advantages and disadvantages, and...
homicide-bootstrap