Westcott PhotoBasics uLite Kits

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m considering getting a Westcott PhotoBasics uLite 2-Light Green Screen Kit. Does anybody have any experience with the Photo Basics uLite kits, positive or negative?

I read the Ghetto Lighting thread and found it very interesting, except I have no experience doing carpentry, electrical work, or anything like that. I also don’t have any tools. It seems like, after buying the tools, and making the inevitable mistakes before getting it right, I would end up spending as much as I would just buying a kit.

The Westcott uLite 2 light kit is a much better deal than buying the components separately, and the green screen kit costs only about $25 more than the basic 2-light kit, which is less than the cost of a green screen.

I would prefer a 3 light kit, but the third light in their 3-light kit only has a 3′ stand, and that probably won’t work for a separation light. I’d rather have a full-height adjustible stand for more flexibility. So I figured I’d get the 2 light kit and wing the third light for now, until I can afford to spend some more money. (I like the idea of getting one of those silver-sided car window sun shades to use as a reflector.)

Also, for about $18, you can get a four-socket fluorescent converter that turns the uLite into sort of a low-end Spider light. That’s also appealing to me.

The kit is about $200, seems to be lightweight and very portable (the softboxes are collapsible), and gets good reviews on B&H and Buzzillions, but I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with it, or has any other recommendations.

Thanks!

Inactive

BTW, has anybody tried using mylar blankets for reflectors? They’re very cheap and it seems like they might work. You can get 12 for $11.50 on Amazon, with free shipping.

I haven’t tried this, but I’m thinking you could cut them to the size you want and attach them to foamcore board or something like that to give them stiffness. I don’t know how reflective they are, and I also don’t know if you can crumple them to diffuse the reflected light, but I might order some and try this out.

You can do the same thing with aluminum foil. However, the reflective sunshades you put in car windows are more durable. The foamcore/mylar setup would be lighter but if anything brushed against the mylar surface it would tear it easily. I’ve got a 14 year-old sunshade (red/silver) that if it’s not in the car window, I’ll use it on set. It’s taken a beating and is still usable. I think I might have paid $7 for it.

Participant

OT (close but no cigar): The very first accessory I bought (once upon a time) was a foldable silver reflector from Videomaker – Actually it was free with the purchase of two of their DVD’s at a trade show.

Inactive

Thanks, composite1; I’ll definitely get a car sun shade then, and forget the mylar/foamcore project.

I ordered the uLite kit today. I’ll let you know how it works out.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap