Well…first big endeavor.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Alright, firstly i’m going to start by saying I know this is difficult. But I’ve been making short little youtube “skits” for about 2 years now. I want to move up. I found out I don’t have the money to go to film school, and now I want to prove to myself this is still a dream worth pursuing.

Now, I can’t afford a really really nice camera..the one I have is HD but in lowlight is kinda grainy. What kinds of lighting equipment is affordable?

Also, External audio…it’s something I’ve been wanting..a boom mic and the lot. But I’m not sure if my camera supports that.

I need tips on must have gear for making a 15-20 short film. Kind of a dramedy thing. No explosions or anything like that. But I really just want to try this. And see if i’m worth anything in this field.

I happened upon this site while googling…I hope you can help.

welcome to the forum.

what kind of camera do you have? if you can play with manual settings, perhaps there’s a way to work on the graininess.

videois NOTcheap and i’m on a budget, too, since this isa hobby for me, not a profession, but for audio I’ve had GREAT luck with an azden wireless lav set (UHF is probably better with less interference, but a lot more expensive). you can see that here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3656-REG/Azden_WLX_PRO_WLX_Pro_Wireless_Lavalier.html. as for the boom, i’ve had pretty good success with this model and it’s about the cheapest you’ll get: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664440-REG/Audio_Technica_ATR6550_ATR6550_Condenser_Shotgun_Microphone.html. You can plug that boom into the wireless lav and record using the boom instead of the lav if you wish, and that way your sound guy does not have to attach to the camera. you can also plug the wireless into a portable recorder if you want to record your audio separately. not sure whether your camera has a mic jack or a hot shoe, but there’s usually workarounds. hope this is a start for you.

Participant

This is my camera:http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/products/vpc_th1/index.html

Yeah I know that’s it, but I got it for around 200 bucks last year. So I’m dealing with what I pay for.

Those looked nice, but I realized I have noooo idea how I would use them. Like If I got those, what would I need to do. Keep in mind what I’ve been doing so far is simple point and shoot.

Participant

Also, my MAX budget is like 500 bucks….that’s the money I could spare in my savings. And I’m not sure who else in the group is contributing.

And thanks for the welcome :p sorry for the double post.

Participant

Cory, if youcheckoutprevious posts on this forum, you willfind lots of posts about lighting. Look intoposts about 3 point lighting. You will also find postsincluding some less expensive alternatives for supplemental lighting. For example, simple work lights, clamp lights etc.like you will find at big box hardware stores can be used perhaps substituting CFLS in the fixture to keep heat and energy usage down. There are even videos about setting up a studio with lighting to shoot your video. Adding lighting should help eliminate the graininess when shooting in low light. I checked out the link about your camcorder and I didn’t see any reference to an external microphone plugin. Any external microphones (boom, lavalier, wired or wireless) would have to be connected to an external audio recording device (Zoom and other brands in the $100-$200 range)and the resulting audio would have to be synced in the editing. There is the possibliity of a workaround as pseudo mentioned. If you have the do-it-yourself ability, you could add your own mic jack to your camera. Possible but I recommend you proceed very carefully. Good luck and keep shooting.

Participant

Oh, well we were actually looking atseparateaudio…for a couple different reason. I willdefinitelylook around at the lighting topics. Thank you!.

What do you mean by External Audio recording device? Can you possibly link a good affordable one? I’m still very new at this side of the spectrum…I don’t know what I’m looking for!

What other stuff would I need to make this more official. I want this to be a possible.Showpiece? I’m not sure what word I mean by that.

It doesn’t look like your camera has a jack for a mic, and it doesn’t have a hot shoe to attach one. I think you’dbetter go with externally recorded audio if you’re using that camera.External recorders like a Zoom H2 or a Zoom H4 are great. There are a million others. I’ve used an Olympus WOW XT digital dictation recorder to record dialog through the Azden mic system with pretty good results. If you’re limited to $500.00, I’d keep the camera and plan on doing the audio externally.

Participant

Cory, I second the vote for the Zoom H2 as pseudosafari suggested. I as well as others on the forum have had good success with it . You can use the built in microphones or connectexternal microphones to it. The H4 is a step up fromthe H2 but more expensive. Zoom also makes an H1 which is more affordable but I don’t have any experience with it. You will find other brands and models are very suitable, perhaps others will chime in here with their suggestions. Just as a suggestion you might check BHphoto (good source for equipment with reasonable prices) for their selection of recorders, mics etc. and get a feel for what is available, and then come back here for comments on the products you are considering. Hope this helps.

Participant

zoom h1… the first two things I did were:

add a foam pop filter (six bucks at “The Source” probably the same at radio shack) and I added a tripod screw adaptor which is a threaded bolt with a threaded hole in the bottom similar to this:

it gives the recorder a metal mount to attach it with as the plastic tripod hole seemed flimsy and easy to cross thread…

Participant

Ok a zoom H2, are there topics on how to even use them? Because it sounds…complicated, but I want to learn. and should I still get the other two things pseudosafari posted? We will probably make the purchases on the 1st. those 3 wouldn’t be horrible, and probaby some clamp lights? I believe someone mentioned those? Anything else that maybe I’m not really thinking about? Tips for shooting in public even?

I’m still in the late writing stages so there’s a loose deadline.

Participant

Cory, as far as the Zoom H2 usage: the H2 packaging shows a graphic about how to set up for using the sets of microphones that are built in. Certainly get in the habit of monitoring the audio (with the included ear buds or your own headphones)as you record your video. It beats finding out while you’re editing that you need to reshoot. If you are going to use external microphones, there is a mini-stereo plug on the H2 for connecting them. There is a three level setting for the mic gain (level of volume of the recording). Do a mic check first before actually starting to record (monitoring the audio). The actual operation is pretty straight forward- press red button to record! You can read the instructions to learn all of the capabilities- certainly recommended.

For lighting you can use shop lights or clamp type fixtures to get you started on the cheap. You might consider using CFL’s for the clamps fixtures (less heat, less wattage usage, last a long time). There is a thread on this forum called ‘building a studio’ that has some great tutorials on studio set up and usage. Seeing might make things clearer than reading. The lasttutorial about setting up lights for a shoot will get you in the ballpark with your lighting. Good lcuk.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap