Wedding/Event Camcorder Needed

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello,

I have gotten into the filmmaking again lately as a student and I have been approached to do my cousin’s wedding. I am in need of a camcorder for this event as I have never really looked for one before. I see this as an opportunity to gain a camcorder for use in my films as well.

I would like to keep at it something fairly cheap, around 1K even though I’d love to pick up a XL2. πŸ˜›

Any suggestions will be of help. πŸ™‚

Participant

russim Wrote:

Hello,

I have gotten into the filmmaking again lately as a student and I have been approached to do my cousin’s wedding. I am in need of a camcorder for this event as I have never really looked for one before. I see this as an opportunity to gain a camcorder for use in my films as well.

I would like to keep at it something fairly cheap, around 1K even though I’d love to pick up a XL2. πŸ˜›

Any suggestions will be of help. πŸ™‚

You could get a used Sony Vx2100 (or 2000 for that matter). I have not used one but they are rated to 1 lux and many wedding videog’s use them for this reason.

Inactive

I have a Sony VX2100. It is excellent in low and standard lighting. Though it has all types of settings, you can set it to automatic like a consumer camera.
      It ain’t cheap. But if you can get a good used one, that would be good. But you’ll also need sound equipment (wireless mike) and maybe a tri- or mono-pod.

Weddings are tough jobs. Events are moving along soooo fast that it’s easy to miss the shot of the day. I will hire out as second camera but I won’t do weddings myself.

Participant

Thanks for the replies. My only real problem with the VX2100 is the lack of XLR inputs. I feel that later on down the road those are very vital to me and for my uses.

Oh and don’t worry, I already am having a good friend who I know can film well to help me out with his family’s cheap handheld. (I’m a perfectionist so I make sure that it’s just right and it helps that he’s the exact same way :P)

Inactive

Beachtek has an audio adaptor – DXA-4, $180 at B&H – that attaches below the camera and gives you the ability to connect two XLRs (left and right channel) or connect a mini-plug to the right channel. You also have volume controls.

Participant

Is that adapter any good though? Like is the quality worth the money?

Inactive

russim,

The Sony DSR-PD170 is the professional version of the VX2100. It has XLR inputs, and sells for $2499 at B&H. The DSR-PD150 is the previous version, which you might find used somewhere.

Ken Hull

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2021

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap