Wedding videography dvx100b or hvx200?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am about to purchase my first camera. I’ve been in the video business for three years now shooting with sony vx2100. I’m interested in 24p but wondering if I should wait and purchase the HD camera. If I get HD, will I be more in demand? Clients are asking for HD but don’t fully understand the process from shooting to edit. And, frankly, I haven’t done it yet either. I wont have full HD editing capabilities aside from Final cut pro HD. Basically would it be better to get the panasonic dvx100 and have the camera in hand sooner for work possibilities? Or should I wait a few more months to get HD? Is it worth it?
      Thanks

Participant

Hi,

If it’s weddings, why not consider getting another 2100 or move up to a PD170.

There are at least several posts in the archives by compusolver/hank costello re the lighting issues at weddings and how with the 2100 you really don’t have to worry about this. It is video 101 that HD doesn’t cut the mustard yet in less than ideal lighting situations (e.g., atmospheric, church candle light, stain glass window filtered light…).

Also, there are recent posts around here about the sub par job many/most/all(?) consumer/prosumer HD cams do with audio. This was new info to me and I’m not sure I entirely grasp it, but it seems that in order to achieve the 1060 lines of satiny gorgeous video (shot in really good light), the HD cams bump space on the tape formerly used for the audio signal. Yikes. No problem of course if you channel several mics into SD cam(s) or have a separte audio deck.

There is a glacially growing demand for HD. (Odd metaphor I realize). Go for HD, but with your antenna out. At some point the state of the art will achieve the state of the art and HD will be the irresistible force. It hasn’t happened for me yet or my clients.

REGARDS … TOM 8)

Participant

I appreciate the metaphor. And that was exactly the perspective I was looking for. I probably won’t go HD just yet. So that being said, I will continue to do wedding videography as bread and butter, but I’d like to expand my career. Opportunities such as fashion documentary are in the works as well as other New Yorky upscale events. The low light feature of the sony is really so key with these events, but I love the 24p feature. I will continue to have the option of using the 2100 for the wedding gigs so the camera I purchase will be for me to expand to corporate, fashion, and club promo. Considering that, pd170 or panasonic? Or other suggestions?
      Thanks so much for the feedback.

Participant

I wouldn’t bother switching from any DV camera to a different one at this point in time when HD acquisition and delivery is finally becoming a practical reality for weddings and other events. Switching to HD won’t necessarily increase your marketability but sticking with DV will leave you at a disadvantage as more and more of your competition upgrades to HD and customers increasingly ask for that. The HVX200 might be a good choice for some of the more advanced projects you want to pursue but not particularly for weddings, as HD recording on that camera is expensive for long events. (But you could shoot weddings in widescreen DV mode and probably not lose much business while offering DVCProHD recording for other projects.)

As far as low-light issues are concerned, the upcoming Sony XDCAM EX camera will likely be the best HD camera under $10K in this regard. The Sony FX1 or Z1U are your next best choice for low-light HD recording and are being used successfully by many for weddings – but they’re not as sensitive in poor light as the camera you have now.

Audio is more compressed on HDV cameras than DV models but this is of limited concern for typical event work. The HVX200 uses uncompressed audio as does the EX camera mentioned above, so those are your two main choices if you want something better than HDV in terms of audio.

I’d suggest sticking with your current camera a little longer and start reading up on HD production tools and workflow so you can make an informed buying decision for new equipment. DV is basically on its way out now for professional videography purposes, but that will likely be a gradual transition.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap