Wedding Video with Studio 9

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

i would like to produce a wedding video (my own) with Studio 9 from VHS tape material i’ll be transferring via the capture card that came with Studio AV/DV. i’ve done some short projects with it so far but I have a couple questions.

1) is editing MPEG files going to cause a loss in end-product quality? why?
      2) the video will be in the order of 1.5 – 2 hrs long so i’m thinking of breaking it into 5 or 6 chapters based on major components of the day (ie. background and prep, the ceremony, recieving & dinner, speeches, dancing, departure). what is the best way to put the project together? as one big project? or is it possible to create a seperate project/movie for each chapter and only at the end somehow piece them together? how would this be accomplished (ie what type of file and where do i store it)?

any input from anyone who has experience with longer projects would be very much appreciated!

Participant

hey, thanks for responding! your repsonse is helpful in that i know the wedding video can be done as one project.

i’m working on a smaller project (bridal shower) to get used to Studio 9 and its features. so foar, so good. i really like the program and i haven’t (knock on wood) run into any of the bugs that some people report. i have been capturing VHS tape in segments of up to 2 minutes max to keep the files around the 500MB mark. i then do my timeline editing, transitions, and sounds, etc. haven’t got into setting the chapters up yet. the program seems intuitive and i haven’t had to spend too much thumbing through the manual.

my system is a P4 2.6Mhz with 512RAM. i do shut off all background programs except systray and explorer. i hoping RAM prices will drop so i can throw in a 1G set.

Inactive

I’ve done several 60-70 min DVDs in S8 – and I will capture all in one file (sometimes as big as 10G) but then split the file and render into multiple AVIs – one for each chapter. I’ll usually add transitions first.

The I’ll create a ‘master’ project, w menu(s) and add in the AVIs. S8 seems to ‘like’ it better.

Also – if using still JPEGs in a photo montage – I’ve noticed much better results first rendering to an AVI and including that in final master project (rather that adding picture after picture in the master project). Something about 30-50 stills w transitions makes my system hang – and i’ve got a 1.8 GHz CPU, 1 G ram, and 500+G HDD space.

good luck.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap