Wedding Receptions: Natural light or onboard lights?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums Technique Miscellaneous Techniques Wedding Receptions: Natural light or onboard lights?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’d like to get the opinions of any event videographers out there – what do you do? I have always been very anti-supplemental lighting because it is just too obtrusive. And generally the brides don’t like it. I have Sony 2100’s that do about the best job in low light situations but at times I am pretty unhappy with the results, mostly with the candid shots (guests mingling, dancing, etc.). I’d to find out how some of the other wedding videographers out there handle this. Thanks.

Participant

I own VX2100’s as well.

I recently had my first low-light reception with these cameras.
      THe fotage turned out wonderfully. I did not need any external lighting to make it look good.

I also recently did a Sweet 16 b-day party. The DJ’s kept wanting the lights turned off so that only their colored and minimal spotlights would be on. Surprisingly, with the light adjustments I did on my camera during the party, I can barely tell when the lights get turned off.

I do agree with you though, Most brides do not want external lighting and it is very intrusive. Each bride I have worked for has complimented me on how invisible I was during their parties. THey didn’t even realize I was filming until I would HAVE to make a closeup such as with the cake and stuff.

Inactive

Brandon,

What type of lighting adjustments do you find work best on the 2100 for these situations?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

A Lighting Buyer’s Guide

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap