Wedding reception lighting

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey guys,I filmed a wedding reception recently. I used one 800watt redhead which was too bright and created harsh shadows on the subjects. I eventually turned it off to film the rest of the reception. Do i need two redheads? and how do I diffuse them properly or is there a more appropriate way of lighting weddings Like bouncing them off a ceiling? I viewed a pro videographers work, his lighting is perfect. I know he uses two redheads but he wouldn’t tell me any more of his secrets? I just need a little light to add a bit of bling!

Inactive

i usually bring little light. If I need to, I will bounce light off the ceiling, but my theory is to be as unobtrusive as possible, keep the ambiance of the room as the bride and groom wanted.

John

Participant

“I used one 800watt redhead which was too bright and created harsh shadows on the subjects. I eventually turned it off to film the rest of the reception.”

I’m surprised you got the chance to shut it off……. 800 watts in the eyes would cause alot of people to react, badly.

Toasted Buns….. Surgically Removed….. you see where I’m going right?

bounce the light, or maybe place the light behind your subject, and use a bounce card or reflector to bounce some light towards your subject….

then there’s softboxes, umbrellas, dimmer switches, snoots, grids, gel.

too much to learn about lighting in one post.

Participant

quote “I viewed a pro videographers work, his lighting is perfect. I know he uses two redheads but he wouldn’t tell me any more of his secrets? I just need a little light to add a bit of bling!”

That guy is being a jerk. It’s not magic, nor rocket science. Some googling, a trip to a library, a few SPECIFIC questions on forums like this (search first, may already be asked and answered, check the tutorials section of Videomaker etc…). then some trial and error, is all you ned.

If he was any kind of business man, he’d swap out some knowledge and experience, in exchange for some assistant duties by an eager learner.

Participant

800W light is a bit too much for the people to enjoy the ambiance of the night.

I usually use Lowel PRO 200W, diffused, three times during reception:

• for the bridal party entrance; the light is pointed at the door; my 20W camera light is also diffused and on all the time;
      • during speeches, pointed at the podium and a head table; I may occasionally turn my camera light when I pan off to get a bride and groom’s reaction;
      • during formal dances pointed at the dance floor; I am using my camera light as a second light while walking around dance floor.

For my next big wedding I am planning on using 2 PRO lights during speeches to better illuminate the head table.

1 more trick: I am using remote power switch (bought in RadioShack) to turn the light on and off. My power remote looks like a car remote starter, works great within any big hall.

Shoot-It-Yourself Wedding Video

Participant
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
    homicide-bootstrap