Wedding charge?

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Please tell me what is fair to charge a couple to do a wedding video. I am not an established person so I know I can’t get top dollar. Any price range will be great.

Inactive

The average is a couple thousand depending on quality. If you’re just doing your first, Hank’s right, charge nothing. They’ll get a great deal and you’ll then have something to show people who challenge your credibility when you hand them a bill later.

Participant

Depending on your knowledge, I have a friend who videotapes the couple preparing for the wedding (dressing rooms within reason), the wedding and reception. He has a multiple camera setup. There’s editing to do and he uses two (2) VCRs to edit the tape. When he is finished, (titling the wedding, etc), he charges $300 just for one wedding.

Participant

Check out other videographers websites. You can compare your work to theirs and then see what they charge. It can vary by area and some are better bargains than others (like me πŸ˜€ ) for the quality. I agree with doing a few free first. Get a potfolio then you can justify charging. Plus if you screw up your first one (not saying you will) you dont have to give a refund. lol

Participant

I’m in yorktown VA, prices from Richmond to newport VA are 1,300.00 to 3,500.00. Most guys will shoot the video and hand the couple the raw video unedited and say bye for 2,500.00 with no titles , graphics or music. i think that sucks for the couples that paid for their memories to be saved. My opinion of them is they need to be horse whipped, i will put still pic, titles, graphics, music. a couple paid 2,500.00 for raw video and they had no idea what to do with it. it look like a drunk taped it and there were zooms in and out all the time, not good. heck their old grand mother could have shot that and paid nothing. always give a client a little extra so they will tell others about you. include the first tape with the cost anything after is 20.00 ea. I charge 50.00 per hour for shooting and 100.00 for editing for other projects. do what the market sees they can handle. 8)

Participant

I agree that giving raw footage is crap. I will NOT give anyone raw footage! That’s my image their getting! I don’t want my name on something like that.

Another bit of advice:
    I have come to the realization that I have been priced wasy too low. Granted, the market I live in is on the low end of the scale but here’s what I discovered: People will mentally classify your quality as the same as those priced in your range. If you’re too cheap they will say “what’s the catch?”. If you’re good, price your services accordingly. Those who can afford a good videographer can afford the best and those who cant will not hire you anyway.

Participant

Wow. That’s like less than minimum wage! What’s the catch?

Participant

Sweet! I hope things keep going well as you increase your rates. After all, you put alot of effort into this business and you deserve to make market rates. I just started this year too. I’m also kinda broke but after doing a few free jobs for friends and aquaintences (sp?) I went a different route. By this spring I should be priced among the higher end of the market. I am booking less jobs but I prefer getting what I am worth and slowly building my referral business. Seems to be working so far, I estimate I will be booked solid (by solid I mean probably 30-40 weddings) for next year. That may be a generous guess but as long as I am getting steady work I will be happy. After all, you get in this business because you love it right? Heck, if I could afford it, I would do this for free!

Participant

Charging nothing? wow, you guys are far better people than I. Well I guess too that i had a great reputation before I did my first two, I charged 225 for each to cover expenses and a little bit of time. I will be raising my prices as well, but I don’t see charging a grand yet with the equipment I use. But as soon as I get the camcorder I want (canon xl2) I will.

I easily put 50-100 hours in each tape, used atleast 3 cameras for each and worked alone. My turn around was 2-3 weeks. Which was delayed because the wedding were in consequitive weeks and I was working 40 hours a week. (I’m not trying to be cocky or anything, just telling it how it was, and I wouldn’t change a thing πŸ™‚ ) I love being busy.

How does this compare to you guys?

Participant

Especially since it sounds as though you would only have one. I would go with a set of 3 matching lower-priced cameras for a better overall video.

Participant

I wouldn’t be using it soley for weddings. Thats not my aim at all. I was just saying that When I get nicer equipment I will charge more. Frankly, I haven’t looked at camcorder specs in months so I don’t know exactly what I’m looking for. I’m only a college freshman I won’t have money for quite awhile yet, so by time I save up the money to buy a nice camera I will have gathered tons of information and know exactly what I want/need.

Endeavor, thanks for the idea of getting multiple cheaper cameras, that is a good idea and I’ll keep that in mind.

Participant

With that, the look I’m wanting to pursue is that of film (by that I mean shoot in 24 fps), so forgive me for this question but in your experience do you think that that would work well with weddings, or would you all recommend shooting in the normal 30. Everything I’ve done has always been 30, so I don’t know if the look of 24 would be fitting for weddings.

Participant

Thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it. I’m just bouncing some questions of you guys that have been down the road before.
    Forgive me if you read my questions and think that they are junvenile or what not, but just starting out, I want to get a bunch of ideas together so that I can make the best possible product I can.

Participant

Haha. I’d say all the “toys” that ARE business related are quite fun anyway!

Participant

Compusolver,
    I was checking out one of your websites, what do you use to record audio during weddings, a minidisc recorder? I’ve wondered about that myself, but thankfully both weddings I have done I have been able to get good audio from the camera but I want to invest in getting an idependent recorder for that and wanted your advice.

Participant

One thing I always try to do (if possible) is to plug into the house audio (if they have someone running a mixer). Talk to the representative from the church in charge of audio. Most churches will be using much higher quality equipment than I can afford and the audio almost always comes out very, very good. If you go this route, make sure you have a backup. Use a MD recorder or at the very least a good shotgun mic. I’ve never been burned by the house audio but you never know. This also means that you are banking on the operator knowing what they’re doing. (You should also try to provide any cables you will need instead of asking the church to do what is really your job).

Participant

**oops**

Participant

**sorry**

Participant

Thanks, I’ve have used a shotgun mic but would rather use an independant MD recorder. Sound equipment isn’t an issue, I own sound stuff (for my band). Now, how do you guys go about getting the bride set up with a mic? Do you just have one on the groom and hope that it picks up the bride or do you mic her seperately?

Participant

I was also in college and did videography in clubs. Now I’m starting my own business and I did the first two weddings for free, which was invaluable to learn the ropes. Now I charge $1500 to start, and as I learn more I add more options or bump the price up. Realize that the lower the price, the more people you can attract in the beginning. Later you can narrow down when you are booked.

I use an XL1s and it’s awesome for low-light shooting, while using a GL2 as a B camera. I think the camera matters for getting the base footage (low light for example), but one thing that matters is how good are you at videography? A good videographer could make a great video with a camera phone. That really should determine your price, though many people might not see that until after the video is done. I’ve seen it plenty times where a videographer wastes a $5000 camera rig with bad videography.

You can see my pricing at http://www.gavinholt.com/wedding_video_package.html

Participant

gavinholt Wrote:

I was also in college and did videography in clubs. Now I’m starting my own business and I did the first two weddings for free, which was invaluable to learn the ropes. Now I charge $1500 to start, and as I learn more I add more options or bump the price up. Realize that the lower the price, the more people you can attract in the beginning. Later you can narrow down when you are booked.

I use an XL1s and it’s awesome for low-light shooting, while using a GL2 as a B camera. I think the camera matters for getting the base footage (low light for example), but one thing that matters is how good are you at videography? A good videographer could make a great video with a camera phone. That really should determine your price, though many people might not see that until after the video is done. I’ve seen it plenty times where a videographer wastes a $5000 camera rig with bad videography.

You can see my pricing at http://www.gavinholt.com/wedding_video_package.html

Hey gavin! Congrats on going full time! You’ve obviously put alot of time into this. Isn’t this the life?! Anyway, just wanted to compliment you on your site and everything. Did you design the site too or have it done?

Good luck! You will do well in this business!

Inactive

Hey Everyone,

There is a video at: http://www.elitevideo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=102 that teaches techniques for filming weddings. It’s pretty informative and you could gather information that might increase your knowledge (and pay) when filming weddings. Also, they have another great video that talks about camera techniques in general. When I watched it my techniques really improved. Here’s the link to that video as well: http://www.elitevideo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=26 I hope you find these useful!!

Participant

I use my Canon XL1s. Therefore, the image and quality is extremely good. That is about a 6 thousand dollar camera. I do the work myself with only one camera.

Then I edit the wedding from sun up (literally time elapsing the sun rising on the church) until the reception is over. Everything from dressing, the bed and breakfast, the chariott ride over to the church, the ceremony, the pictures afterwards, the reception, and the exit by the couple getting into their written on and trashed vehicle with the cans hangin from the back and bird seed all over the vehicle. Then I go home and edit it.

I give them a menu with the edited version (including music), the photo album, and a highlight spot. The background of the menu was an original pic I took from the film of the wedding. I then photoshopped a before pic and after pic for the DVD case and included 5 copies.

As this was my first (and only so far) wedding, I charged 600 dollars. Note: I WILL NEVER DO ALL THAT WORK FOR 600 DOLLARS AGAIN!!!!! After all the quality, creativity, and work I put into it, I probably got about 4 bucks / hour. But I do have one SPECTACULAR wedding video for my portfolio.

I easily could have gotten around 1.5 grande for that video. And that is what I am charging next time. Heck that is with only one cam, but still!!!!

Anyone in TEXAS want to partner up??? We can definitely make something happen combining our talents and equipment. Let me know! Happy filming to all!

Participant

Yeah, I hate it when the bridal party spontaneously breaks out into song. lol X-D

Participant

well….hmmmmmmmm….. i was basically running and sliding and crawling and wiggling my way around and getting into everything. since it was my first and i was alone, we took all the dancing footage and just added the real version of the song they were playing at the time instead of the actual sound from the dj, etc.

I like your ideas better though. Just never thought about it. Iriver huh? I’ll have to check get it *check into that when I’m not broke.

I def could use more cams and persons filming, but can’t afford. You would still be amazed at the high quality of this video. Not one person has asked the questions you guys have. (they aren’t pros, but they didn’t notice either). I didn’t get much of the "I do’s" but haven’t gotten a complaint. I wanted to use wireless lavaliers or something, but don’t have them. Plus, the preacher said that this is NOT a Hollywood studio and was not very happy that the couple wanted the event filmed. So I was limited from the get go. I worked my tail completely off-I mean, I could barely walk after the whole day of running around with my cam. So it ended up like I deserved for it to- absolutely amazing. I think Luck had a lot to do with it, but so did my hard work. I didn’t even eat the whole day!

Participant

compusolver Wrote:

Two weeks ago, we were at the reception of a fairly large wedding when the bride broke into a seemingly impromptu version of "At Last". (I say "seemingly" because the DJ had the karaoke music ready, but I was totally unaware this would happen – even though our form asks for ALL events, singers, etc.)

As luck would have it, the DJ had done something to kill the audio to our digital recorder right before the events (happens about 20% of the time), so the shotgun mic had the only audio on this. Although Jean was within about ten feet of the bride, the speakers were so loud (and somewhat overloaded) that it was this sound that was captured.

What amazed me though was "At Last" is not an easy song to sing and this gal belted out a version that was arguably better than the original!

If all we’d had was our camera’s built-in mic, I think the bride would have been very disappointed. At least the shotgun captured the sound as good as it was heard by guests.

I use the venues sound board at almost every event and even after checking the audio myself, they seem to mess it up about 1 out of 3 times. Thats what the iRiver is for πŸ™‚

Participant

Compusolver said;

There was an earlier post in this thread that asked how we mic the bride. I didn’t notice a reply (though I may have overlooked it), so here goes – we never mic the bride. Just clip a lav rather low on the groom (usually where the lapels meet) so that it will be equal distance from his and her lips.

Thanks, that’s a great idea. You can adjust the volume with just the groom talking prior to the vows, then when the bride shows up, your all set. The audio levels will be pretty equal.

Great idea….

I love this board. πŸ˜€

Participant

not that it matters, but for fun I should elaborate my exaggerations (?):

i was discreet ( I had to be as I mentioned that the Preist did not want me anywere visible or in front of the church at ALL). All I meant was, I was hidden on my knees (sliding) and running around (not running) just constantly on the move in the background and from the balcony of the church to the front for a sec. back to the balcony and then outside before the crowd, etc. Wiggling: trying to get every perfect angle even if I had to bend backwards and hold for a few. My muscles were gone after that.

I found the best shots to be the ones of grandparents talking to eachother and laughing when they did not know anyone with a camera and a strong zoom was across the room zeroed in on them. The best shots are candid. I did not do the typical, "a few words for the bride and groom?" as that was too cliche for me and I really don’t think I’d want that typical response in the video. I’d rather save room for the action and important things. But that is just me.

And the vows: you could hear the preacher over his mic, but the couple’s responses were sorta muffled. You could hear them but it was super low (I know now, NOT GOOD). But you could make out what they were saying as well as the "I do" because you could here the voice and everyone knows what they were saying. But I definitely appreciate the comments, because that is the only thing that I REALLY have to better prepare for and get the equipment for.

To my amazement, the groom was standing there waiting for his bride’s entry in the church, so we were zoomed in on his face, and guess what-no smile. His face didn’t even light up. SO, we superimposed (?) edited that clip with him in the same position but smiling at something the groomsmen said minutes before. In case she complains about the vows (this was about a year ago with none yet) I could spill the beans and mention that at least we made him look happy she was there. HA HA. Well, they are personal friends, but I wouldn’t really do that!

So yeah, Iriver and Lavs next time. Wish I could post on the net so I could get some critiques and compliments! I really have no idea how the final product came out so darn good. – – – – – – – – – Beginners Luck!

Hope this helps some of you out! X-D

Participant

I failed to mention: we (me and my friend) edited this video for about 2 and half weeks at about 20 hours a week. Definitely costed US more than them. Again, 600 was out right THEFT! Get what you are worth based on your estimated time to edit, photoshop the hard case covers, stamp DVD’s, add music, menues, highlights, photo albums. Include your artistic value and the quality of the equipment used to do the project. Don’t forget the amount of your time that you will spend shooting the entire thing. I shot for about 15 hours (including the Sun Rise I captured on the church).

If you do a lot of weddings at the same church in your city, I suggest going there one day (not on a Sunday) when there is low traffic before the sun even begins to rise, and putting your cam on the time elapsed option so you can provide a Sun Rise on the Church to start off all of your projects. It really adds a lovely touch to all of your projects. Just make sure that you don’t go on a day when it is going to be raining or cloudy. And if it is on their wedding day, keep it out of the project!

Participant

Don’t get too cocky with your pricing though. If this is your first job then you got about $600 more than I would have expeced. Even if you’re talented enough to make more, you may need to make sub-minimum wage a few more times until you have something to show people that you are worth more than that. Once you have a portfolio, then people will hire you based on what they know you can do. There aren’t alot of people willing to pay money based on your word.

Participant

Haha. Same here. My year old stuff really stinks (all the stuff on my website is the year old stuff). I’m working on a new demo DVD and website to boot (now that wedding season is slowing down.

Participant

Actually my first will probably be way better than anything else I produce in the future. I’m not going cookie cutter, but I’m definitely not going to put that much into it again. (the 3.5 mile run down the street in a full suit for the Horse Drawn Carriage slowly begins to come to mind). Or maybe I got lucky and/or over did it since it was my first and I was going for a BLOW OUT product to gain referrals.

And on some of the styles since I’ve been looking a so many websites for price comparisons and different ideas:

I am COMPLETELY against STAGING a shot or sequence. Two things happen here: 1. it shows at the wedding that you are more concerned with your next highlight reel than you are with the clients’ wants and needs 2. You are not a very good videographer if you can only capture that which you can control.

My video is about live, candid, unscripted, HIT or MISS action. If I had my way, i would be completely invisible to everyone at the event. The photographer at the wedding where I did my first was terrible. "Hey, grab his leg, look up, move over, kiss him" – all that BS. I was getting nautious just hearing the team’s voice with all their directing. They couldn’t even get off the Carriage at the church without the "ok, now slowly, turn, wait, now walk-right there-right there, annnd…ok, now take her hand, and put one foot in front of the other, hold it, one more, ok, one more, wait, one more" The bride finally got so annoyed with these two photographers that she tried to hide from them (thus missing out on some of the fun and the photogs missing out on the opps to take more pics of her mingling at the reception).

I can’t believe that I saw a shot from behind the Preacher in one demo. Who in the world thought it was a good idea to be inside of the pulpit? Shot or not, business or not, I don’t think anyone should be that disrespectful of the church. Careless and rude.

More so, I guess it all depends on the client, but down here, the vibe is not to make it look like this is a Hollywood Production. I did not like the fake feeling I got while watching some of the demos. Then again, I thought some of them looked like Uncle Elroy had a beer in one hand and a $99 dollar cam in the other. The lighting was way off, the effects were super cheesy. The zoom was waaaaay overused. The pans and circling motion would make half of my siblings sick from watching the vid on a TV.

There are some very good ones out there too though. Simple and refined. Classy, yet with an artistic touch. REAL is the keyword I am looking for.

Try new things, use your professional and trained EYE, but c’mon, dancing along with the couple shows you were guessing. It’s a weak technique that can make your viewers disoriented.

These are my personal opinions. To each, his own. But keep some of this in mind or your work will seem way overdone. I did not die and become all knowing, nor do I consider myself to be anything more than extemely beginner, but some guys/companies just don’t get it. It can be obvious very early on that you either have a gift or you don’t. And if you do, remember technique and always study your work as well as others.

"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always gotten."

I feel that we are all amongst friends here. My posts are intended to generate ideas and views and thoughts. Also to help others. May the posts continue to flow so that we can all learn from different perspectives.

Thoughts, ideas, feedback…………………

Participant

NOTE: the demos in which I am refering to were found on Google. I did not look at anyone’s links in this forum…yet.

Participant

One thing you will learn is that some clients WANT to be posed (I mainly mean by the photographer). Some want to have those creative, posed pictures. Some want to not know you’re there. Thats why brides interview many different photographers and videographers. They want to find one that fits their style. I am sensitive to what they want. Although I have very seldom ever posed a couple, I have done it. Like this shot for instance:
    http://www.coloradoweddingvideographer.com/reflection.wmv
    (uh, server is down right now…sorry)
    Some couples happen to want those creative type shots. Mostly I dont’t do that but you have to be flexible. I also always ask the couple if they have restrictions on where they want me to be with the cameras. Some people just want the best angle ad don’t care about you holding the camera over the ministers shoulder, others will not allow it (some churches will not allow it). Be flexible and do what you need to do to get the shot that the client wants.

Participant

compusolver Wrote:

Adam – looks like you need to switch hosting companies!

I recommend: http://www.smbizhosting.com

πŸ˜€

It’s just my personal site which is hosted by a friends hosting company for free. My business site is with easy cgi.

Participant

Yeah, these two at the wedding I shot were terrible. I’m not making this up. I would NOT want them at my wedding. That is how I try to shoot and capture. Yes I want good shots, NO it’s not the most important thing about the wedding. These two took advantage of the shy couple (friends of mine) and made it out to be an opp to recharge their portfolio. The billions of flashes took a lot away from the video i was shooting for them. They kept creeping up and getting in my way. It was almost a "shoot out" to see who could get the better opp for the shot. I felt like they were waging a war with me and I did not want to be in it. I didn’t want to be in their way, but certainly would have appreciated them not always being in mine. There wasn’t anyone around to moderate this and they clearly took advantage. That isn’t professional at all. I wonder if there would have been complaints about the photographers to their company had I not opted to cut them out of the finished video (sacrificing a lot of really great footage because they ended up being in the shots!!!!!!). If it was not their bodies in the shots, it was their annoying voice overs that my mic picked up. Ok, Ok, I thought, so I tried to pick a "side" or a position but they would just swing right over into it again-thinking I found a better vantage point or something I guess. I would never (had no other photographer been there) try to direct the action. I agree with Endeavor that they might want some things intentionally captured, but I’m not going to be the guy shouting and barking orders and then hitting record. I guess this really had more to do with the rudeness of the photographers. Anyways, I liked the suggestion to be the "fly on the wall." I feel this makes for a more sincere and true capture of this event as it unfolds in its own unique way. I also feel your client will be wowed and say things like, "man, he caught THAT!? this guy really has an eye!"

* endeavor, if you want a really honest and outside critique (really an opinion I have about a specific thing on your website) I will share and post. I know it is not fair that I have no way right now to share my own vid for validation or for critiques, but I think both negative and posisitive feedback is ALWAYS helpful and would put in my two cents with permission. let me know if it is ok to post, or if I should pm. This is the perfect place to let everyone voice their insider opinions and I think it woudl be good for discussion. Heck, I wish I could show my stuff so I could get many pointers, opinions, bad reviews, key notes, good notes, etc. Just a thought. We might start a thread where a member posts his video and opens it up to the firing range. I will see about doing this myself in the future. Have to re-host my page first. Hank I may be looking into your hosting if price is competitive.

That is all for now. Back to work at my DAY JOB.

Participant

Tell you what, when I finish my new promo video and demos, then you are free to critique them. Let’s leave my year old starter crap out of it.

Participant

Thanks Hank! I’m litterally working on my new demo DVD nas we speak, uh, type, and it blows the pants off of the old stuff. Of course, a year from now it will probably look like poo. X-D

Participant

I am just trying to get my new computer with Adobe, find some extra money for hosting, reconstruct my website design, finish a commercial for a go cart company when i’m not working, and then find another dang wedding to film. I’ve been so busy I haven’t had the time to attend to any of that which I love and it’s filming and editing. I’ve been working on this simple go cart company’s commercial for about 3 months now-alone-after 70 hour work weeks. I could only dream of finding a way to actually make it in this industry so i could actually sit back and say, "Darn, they even PAY me to do this!!" Oh well, good luck everyone.

Participant

I found it. It’s called hard work and humility.

Participant

OK! My new promo video is done. Critique at will (and please share your vids too!).

http://www.coloradoweddingvideographer.com/samples.html

BTW the page is temporary.

Update: For some reason the video looks crappy since I converted it to flv. I will look into it and get it fixed but for now try to look past it.

Participant

Endeavor Wrote:

OK! My new promo video is done. Critique at will (and please share your vids too!).

http://www.foreverendeavor.net/2007

BTW the page is temporary.

Update: For some reason the video looks crappy since I converted it to flv. I will look into it and get it fixed but for now try to look past it.

I like…. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Participant

Thanks! I can’t figure out why the quality is so bad with the flash encoding. I’ve never had a problem before. Arrrggghh! I will get an alternate format up soon.

Inactive

Whoa! X-D X-D

I LOVE it! you are SO creative! Kudos, you’re my hero!!!!!!

GREAT job!

Participant

Thanks! I always think it’s funny when people say I’m so creative. I have to say there’s not much creative about it. It’s really just a mixture of luck and mimicing (sp) others’ work. I am very good at taking things I see that I like and recreating it. I have a theory that there’s really only one creative person in any given field and everybody else copies the person better than them. X-D

Inactive

In that case I’m going to copy – YOU! X-D

Keep up the good work – I hope to one day be 1/2 as good as you!

Oh! I ordered premiere elements 2, and read that premiere elements 3 will be released within 2 week or so … Im going to return premiere 2 and buy premiere elements 3 …

Do you do all of your own editing? How long did it take you to learn?

Participant

Yes, I do everything on my own. I learned pretty quick but I do have some experience in TV and a few other related fields (not sure how much that really helped though). The way I learned is by imagining what I wanted my product to look like and then figuring out hwo to make it look like I pictured. And don’t just get ideas from other wedding videographers. Pay attention to movies, TV shows and anything else that looks good to you.

Thanks again – Its really hard for me to not see just the negative things about my work. Its nice to hear such positive feedback.

Participant

I especially liked the mirror image of the couple coming together while having the couple standing together just above.

Very nice…. πŸ˜€

Participant

Thanks! Again, "borrowed" (the idea) from another videographer. πŸ˜€

Participant

Endeavor Wrote:

Thanks! Again, "borrowed" (the idea) from another videographer. πŸ˜€

I trust your using Adobe. How did you split the frame?

Participant

Linear wipe (not the transition, the effect) with a mild feather at 0 degrees.

Participant

Endeavor Wrote:

Linear wipe (not the transition, the effect) with a mild feather at 0 degrees.

Thanks, I’ll see if I can find that effect and give it a try.

Participant

E – very nice. I loved the approach thing too. Very nice work. Very nice idea even if you borrowed it. Heck, why NOT borrow ideas, it’s not like any of us could really steal eachother’s clients/work/etc. From what I understand, not too many companies/individuals offer our services. Feel free to use and piggy back any idea that I may present.

I also like the slow motion, to fast forward scene. That fit nicely and looked really cool. I am pressed for time at the moment, but I will get back to you with more compliments and also a few critiques. I am at work right now……………….

Participant

E – What camera stabilizer do you use? Yeah, that reflection shot is a great one to attract clients. I do that as well and a lot of couples book me because of it. Good job on your new demo.

Participant

Glidecam 2000 with a GL2. I’m considering a body-pod thingy to see if I can get smoother shots. I can do pretty well without one but I’ve seen other people do better glidecam work than I can seem to get out of using my arms.

Participant

jwood Wrote:

Charging nothing? wow, you guys are far better people than I. Well I guess too that i had a great reputation before I did my first two, I charged 225 for each to cover expenses and a little bit of time. I will be raising my prices as well, but I don’t see charging a grand yet with the equipment I use. But as soon as I get the camcorder I want (canon xl2) I will.

I easily put 50-100 hours in each tape, used atleast 3 cameras for each and worked alone. My turn around was 2-3 weeks. Which was delayed because the wedding were in consequitive weeks and I was working 40 hours a week. (I’m not trying to be cocky or anything, just telling it how it was, and I wouldn’t change a thing πŸ™‚ ) I love being busy.

How does this compare to you guys?

Hi, just curious. How did you use 3 cameras and work alone. I am very new to this. Can you please explain. Thanks.

Participant

kevinvideo Wrote:

Hi, just curious. How did you use 3 cameras and work alone. I am very new to this. Can you please explain. Thanks.

how did I do it? well….I set all 3 up in different locations where I could manuever to easily without being seen. I framed the two non primary camcorders so that they didn’t need any attention during the service and left them there on tripods of course. then with the third camcorder and set it up in the middle and since it was my ‘primary’ camcorder I manned it. It really wasn’t hard. you just have to talk to the wedding party, and have a really solid game plan in order.

• Viewing 56 reply threads

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap