Watch my video and give me a critique?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I just finished a quick video for my hold high school that I graduated from in ’05. It was all shot by me with my GL2. Let me know what you think. It’s a kind of low on quality though because of compressing for myspace.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2104646723

Participant

The film held my attention was crisp and well paced. I think it would improved by adding appropriate titles for the viewers that are not familiar with the content.

Inactive

Nice piece. Very professional. Could run very close to as-is as a featurette on local TV in many major markets (i.e., large cities).

Last shot (freeze frame) was awkward; not worthy of the rest of piece.

Do you have permission for the music. I know; everyone steals ST materialfor MySpace and the like. Having acorporate lawyer (hired by a rich band) come after you for 500K or so could be a life changing experience, if you were to use the copyrighted material in an exploitive way (i.e., try to make $25 worth of income with the piece).

Not bad for a GL2. Gym shots would have more saturation/zest with a Sony2100. Also, while the gym look is fine (everthing in amber/ocre), experimentation with white balance might havegiven a more eye catching result. (Not saying, more realistic; saying more eyecatching. BTW, 99% of all TV commercials (not shot on cheap budget locally) favor eyecatching over realistic.)

The Asst Coach cutaways werenot as strong as the other interview bits. A bitof mumbling. And what he said maybe he could have said better with a little help fromthe “director” !!!

Do more more more of these and you can make a mark out there.

REGARDS … Thom

Participant

Nice…great advice guys. I haven’t gotten the rights to the song only because it’s for my old high school, and the video is for their annual all-sports banquet they have at the end of each school year. So it’s only for the student’s and coaches, which is why I didn’t have more informative lower thirds either.

I agree with your comment about the VX2100 though ThomScratch. The GL2 doesn’t perform very well in low light situations. Looks awesome when their is plenty of light though. At least I think so…I’m still in college, so I don’t see much high quality footage yet haha.

Oh and the last shot isn’t a freeze frame. Myspace didn’t let it fade all the way to black for some reason. I’ll be sure to take all your advice with me for future projects.

Inactive

man thats nice. professional well edited damn near espn material. text could be just a tiny bit better. but i loved it.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

How to buy a camera — 2021

While we have more options and more technology than ever before; buying a new camera has never been more difficult. It’s not just that there are dozens of cameras to choose from, it’s that each one offers something different,...
homicide-bootstrap