Wanting a miracle for under $1000

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m new so please bear with me – I’m just learning a lot of this stuff. I’m making a horror movie in a mostly outdoor setting during winter. Some scenes will be in the day some at night. There will be lots of running, dolly shots, DIY steadycam use, etc. Obviously it will be cold. We’re in Michigan. I have about 1000 bucks to buy an HD camera to shoot it with. I want it to be a Hard Drive Camera (had some bad experiences with mini DV) that I can hook a boom mic to. A standard XLR jack would be nice, but I’m willing to entertain other connection types. I’m not an expert on camcorder audio to be honest. I’m also looking for something that will make it as painless as possible to get the video files into Final Cut.

So far I’m considering either the JVC Everio HD6 (or 7 if the price is right) or the Sony HDR-XR200V. Any advice on which is better? I hear that the Everio records in a weird format that might be hard for me to get into Final Cut. How bad will it be? I have Mac Linux and Windows computers in my arsenal. All have fairly meaty processors. Any suggestions for other cameras within my price range? What kind of cold weather troubles should I look out for with what I buy?

Inactive

Welllllll, helloooooooooooooooooooo dolly…

While you’re at it, check out the new Panasonic cams that were just releasedthen come back and tell us all about what you’ve discovered

also, check out http://www.camcorderinfo.com

Inactive

i would be looking more solid state than hard drive based, especially if you are running with the camera.

John

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best camera bags and cases — 2021

Finding the right camera bag or case for your gear can be challenging, particularly if this is the first bag or case you've ever purchased.
homicide-bootstrap