VX2100 warranty?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hey Ive had a sony vx2100 since december of 2004, I havent had any problems yet until this past week. I was shooting in some slight precipitation and all of a sudden my lcd screen went purple and green and now no longer works. When you turn on the camera with the screen open it fades to white then no longer works. Has anyone ever dealt with this problem before and if so how was sony for the warranty? ill be taking the camera into a local shop once i get back to Canada.

Thank you for your time,

Pat

TomScratch
      Participant

Camera breakdown on a trip. Bummer!
      At least you can shoot with the eye piece view finder.
      I’d be surprised if you have an original manufacterer warranty that lasts more than 1-year.
      For one of my 2100s, I lost the data readout function from both LCD and viewfinder. The imaging was fine, but if you were shooting manual, you could only guess at the settings. Because it was in the first 90 days of ownership, it was repaired free at the main Sony repair facility in Laredo TX.
      Standard warranties can have limiting language concerning fixes of LCDs. If the problem is in the camera but manifests itself on the LCD (i.e., there is bum data going to the LCD, but the LCD is actually OK, just reflecting the bum data), a warranty may fix the chain of bum data. If the problem is actually the LCD (typically a damaged LCD surface skin), warranty coverage is more iffy.
      Could cost you some, but worth it for this cam in my opinion.
      REGARDS … TOM 8)

TomScratch
      Participant

News Flash: May be relevant to your LCD problem.
      Just got an email from: SonyElectronics@sel.sony.com
      You may want to go to this address and get more info on the following:
      Issue involves NUMEROUS Sony camcorders and digital still cams. The LCD and viewfinder go blank "rendering the camcorder incapable of recording video." Fault of work done by non-Sony out-contractor; shame on Sony!!! Decision pending in court re what owners can get out of this, probably regarding free repairs, like an automobile recall. Case # 05-CV-1979-JAH-RBB, US District Court Southern District of California. Take a look; a bit long for me to paste here.
      (Me speculating:) One consequence of this announcement may be to clog up the normal repair chain. So, if you have been holding back on a repair, warranty covered or otherwise, you may want to pick yourself up and do it…
      REGARDS … TOM 8)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Other Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap

Giveaway

THE ESSENTIAL VLOGGING TOOLKIT

Given away to one lucky winner

Competition is open worldwide

ENTER TO WIN

Need help making a stellar first video?

FREE

Download our free eBook with 8 tips to get on the right track and create a video that you can be proud of.