VX2100 vs. pd170

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Any opionions on these two. Do both of these do 16:9?

Inactive

I own a VX2100… looking back I probably would have gone with the PD170… in order to get XLR into the VX2100, I needed a Beachtek adaptor which would not have been needed if I had the PD170… I believe the PD170 is the regular DV, not MiniDV, which I hear has a lower probability of frame drop outs… anyone know if this is true? If so, between the XLR connections and better reliability, my next camera will definitely be a PD170 over the VX2100…

Inactive

Oh, and the VX2100 does 16:9… I assume the PD170 does also, since it seems to be an improvment upon the 2100.

Inactive

I own a PD170. What a great camera, by far one of my best investments I’ve ever made. Works unbelievably well in low light (comes in handy especially for events like weddings). The biggest differences between the vx2100 and PD170 are that the PD170 has the XLR inputs and can record either on miniDV or DVCAM tapes (which are known for fewer dropouts than miniDV due to the width of the tape). The Vx2100 only is miniDV and has no XLR inputs

Inactive

Yes that is very true, it is really nice to have the audio controllability. I can’t stress how great the low light performance of this cam is though. I’ve done so many weddings where I could actually see BETTER with the camera at the reception than my eyes alone. It works amazingly well and the quality is fantastic. I was in a wedding a couple days ago (groomsman) and they had hired a videographer who was using a Canon XL1. The reception was very dim and he had a bright light mounted on it. What a nusense. The light was as bright as a spot light, casted shadows on everything he shot and catching everyone’s attention. Very intrusive and unnatural looking. All I could think was that the same reception could’ve been shot just beautifully without the need of a light had he been using a Sony PD170 or VX2100. The XL1 is a GREAT camera, just not ideal (in my opinion) for low light events

Inactive

Thanks for all the input. I purchased a pd170 and I am thrilled.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap