VX2100 Right For Me?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey Guys. I’m thinking about pulling the trigger on a vx2100. I’ve got a little Panasonic GS70 right now. It has served me well (aside from tape noise), but I’m ready for something more professional.

I mainly do videos for my church at the moment, but I want to eventually make a documentary, among other things. I also do sporting events on occasion, and I read somewhere that this is a good camera for that (can anyone verify that?).

I’ve got about 3k to spend at the moment. I’m willing to wait and save more if necessary. I also have my eye on a PD170, but I don’t really know how big of a step it is.

The main thing I’m interested in is picture quality. Assuming I have the necessary skill, will I be able to produce professional videos with this camera? Should I look at any other cameras?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Inactive

I recently purchased a VX2100 after doing hours and hours of research for my new videography buisness… and I am extremly pleased with the results so far. The video quaility is superb, the audio is good, even the tape speed (fast forward/rewind) is almost twice as fast as my old camera (Sony TRV740). The controls that need to be adjusted at a moment’s notice are always at your finger tips — no touch-screen menus or anything to go through (for the most part). The only thing I dislike about it is the focus and zoom controls on the lense… due to the fact that it is all electronic and not directly linked to mechanics, there is a slight delay when you try to zoom or focus quickly (only from the lense… not at the back of the camera — those work to perfection).
      The thing is built like a rock… it has a very solid feel to it and the hybrid LCD screen is far superior to any other screen I have ever seen on a camera. If I had the chance to go back and buy a camera again — I would still choose this one.
      Highly recomended.

-Chris Bryant
      Bryant Productions

Inactive

VX2100 is my recommendation too. Big bang for the buck.
      If you want to make a more future-proof decision, check out some HDV gear.

Inactive

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Bryant, glad to hear you are happy with yours. Are you using the onboard mic? I wish it had xlr inputs, but I guess you can always use an adaptor. And just out of curiosity, what is the focus of your biz?

Svhs, thanks for the recommendation. I’m not too concerned with future proofing. At this point (and the near future) I don’t need HDV, and from what I read there is some downside to it at the moment (low-light performance, hardware/software requirements if I remember correctly). I don’t know much about it and I don’t think I need it, so I’m just going to steer clear of it.

Participant

I just got a HDR-FX1 on new years and love it. The picture quality is fantastic indoors, but I haven’t taped with it outside yet. Many of the controls are right there and easy to find. You can switch between DV and HDV in seconds. Its a great camera but a bit more expensive than the vx2100.

Nick

Participant

If you’re not already committed, I’d recommend you at least look at the Panasonic AG-DVC30. Side-by-side image comparisons with the Sony reveal VERY little difference and the Panasonic is around $2000 from B&H WITH the XLR adapter and optional short shotgun mic.

I had some issues with mine on one occasion but that seems to be cleared up. I was assured by Panasonic tech support that my problem was as a result of a stray RF field.

Inactive

If you’re not already committed, I’d recommend you at least look at the Panasonic AG-DVC30. Side-by-side image comparisons with the Sony reveal VERY little difference and the Panasonic is around $2000 from B&H WITH the XLR adapter and optional short shotgun mic.

Looks like a nice choice as well. I’m going to study up on it some more. Thanks for the tip, chuck.

Anyone else have anything to add about this camera?

Inactive

I just got a HDR-FX1 on new years and love it.

Looks like a nice camera as well. Pretty reasonably priced too. I’m 99% sure I’m not going HDV, but if anything changes that looks like a nice choice.

Inactive

The 2100 is a good camera. I bought one a few years back and it really served me well. I did, however, just recently upgrade to the Sony HDV HVR-Z1U. The 2100 has great quality, but for just under 5k, the Z1U is probably a better investment for the future.

Inactive

Yes, I typically use the mic provided, but on occasion I have used an older model Sony shotgun mic I used on my last camera. I’m looking into upgrading that for a Sennheiser, as well as an XLR adaptor.
      As for my buisness, I’m doing mainly weddings, but also Sweet 16s, picture slide shows, property insurance videos, real estate virtual tours, tributes and video biographies. A little bit of everything…

Inactive

I can’t think of a better cam (except the P-170) for wedding videos and shooting inside of churches where the lighting is usually less than ideal.

In your opinion, is the extra thousand or so dollars worth it to go from a vx2100 to a P-170?

I’m going to pull the trigger on an FX1 soon though.

Do you just want HD, or are there other things about the camera that make superior to the vx2100 and P-170?

Inactive

^Thanks for the info!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap