VX2100: Recording directly to PC instead of tape

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I use VX2100 cameras and MAC Pro and Macbook Pro.

Is it possible to record directly to the computer, basically using it as an external recording medium? Kind of like the way the Focus Enhancements products work.

I’d like to do some hobby shooting (most likely at home) and not wear out my heads with constant usage.

Thanks

Anonymous
      Inactive

I am not sure if it will work with a mac, or if a similar program is available for macs, but I use a small program called WinDV to record our church services to an external harddrive. I run the firewire to a firewire card in a laptop, then firewire to an external drive. this also allows me to use the monitor instead of the LCD or viewfinder. I don’t even have a tape in the camera.

Rob
      Participant

If you’re using FCP, you can connect your camera to the Mac with the camera in record mode. Open FCP. Launch Log and Capture. Press the Capture Now button. You will probably be limited to DV25 since you’re coming in through FW.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yes I’m using FCP. Do I have to actually press the record button on the camera or just have the switch flipped to the Record part of the scrolly thing on the camera.

Also… Yes, I’ve used windv for downloading tapes before I began using MACs but I didn’t know you could use it for direct video capture.

Thanks

EarlC

Different cameras, i use Canon XL1 and GL2 models in SD, but I’ve used them quite frequently with not only my FCP/Mac system for direct recording using the process Rob points out, but also my old tried and trusty Casablanca stand-alone system that takes a firewire feed allowing me to recording directly to the large capacity hard drives I use in it. Either way works.

As Rob says, I hook up the camera via firewire, launch log and capture in FCP and press the “capture now” button and record until done. I’m not an expert at doing it, using the MiniDV, well DV NTSC 48 kHz firewire presets, as I don’t do it often enough to be intimately familiar with all the oopses and whoopses involved, but it works well enough that I’ve been able to do the short recordings I’m wanting to do that way.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Awesome. Thanks for the advice.

XTR-91
      Participant

Also keep in mind that anytime the camcorder is on for a long time, but not recording, you’ll camera will probably try to shut off. You should try and check the settings on your camcorder, first.

EarlC

For MOST cameras that is true, but also for MOST cameras if a tape is not inserted the unit will remain on. This is true for my units, and has been true for various Panasonic and Sony units I’ve used over the years, as well as a variety of older VHS consumer units I’ve owned and used.

While it can have something to do with power saving, the primary reason for tape-based units is to prevent tape damage. You will need to check your model, simply by turning it on and leaving it on without a tape inserted. NO harm, if it works (or not) and no foul. If it shuts off with or without, simply insert a tape and record a backup while also going directly to hard drive.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I use DV Rack made by serious Magic..w . Adobe bout them I do not konow if they are adding to the product still… nice as you can vary the video as it records

I have also used moviemaker to capture direct and also Sony Vegas.

Ed

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Consumer Camcorders’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Best Products

The best audio and video recorders — 2021

In this article, we’ll cover the best external recorders for both video and audio recording. Then, we’ll go over the specs we considered when making our selections so that you can choose the best recorder for your specific situation. The...
homicide-bootstrap