Need help: navigational bug issue

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

When I click on >My Profile the screen shot posted below is what comes up. Why is this happening? And then when I click on Ask.com’s second citation to get to my thread the one where I ask ‘Where’s the User CP???? link’ I can’t bookmark it when I try nothing happens, in fact I can’t log in to Videomaker via that link.

And I NEVER use Ask.com, never.

None of this happens at other websites and / or discussion forums. For me all of this renders this web site unusable. Total slop. Misdirects everywhere at this site. I may not be able to access this post again or a PM for that matter. Anyone know what’s up with this? Videomaker, post back to this thread but also send me an email with your take on this since I can’t navigate your site unfettered (note, seems like I can post okay though bugs still exist, read on). BTW I use IE and Firefox.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4068/4441924022_c10c468a06_o.jpg

Inactive

test

Inactive

And when I use Firefox and click on >My Profile a page comes up that sez ‘User Not Found’…what the heck??????

Same thing happens when I click on >My Posts. Very buggy…

Participant

Hi Joe –

I don’t know what could be happening – Everything works fine for me (and always has).

I haven’t heard of any other folks this is happening to – Might it be you have some sort of spyware that infected your box?

Please let me know if you experience any other problems on other websites.

Inactive

As I stated in the 3rd paragraph of the thread starter, “None of this happens at other websites and / or discussion forums.”

My machine is equipped with Windows Defender, Spybot Search and Destroy, A-Squared, Avast, Super Anti-Spyware, SpywareBlaster, CleanUp!, CCleaner, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. I update their definitions once a day, 365 days a year. I run scans regularly and nothing of significance turned up. Despite your claim this type of redirect could be happening to other people.

Participant

Hi Joe –

I just find this curious – I have not personally experienced this and have not heard of anyone else geting this type of behavior. I just wonder what makes your experience different. I access this site from three different computers (with different virus and spyware protection on each) and don’t get the redirect you seem to be getting.

I will look into this further.

Joe

I too continually access this website from multiple computers and have nothad any experiences like you mentioned. From multiple locations, home, work, wifi spots around town, Library computers, personal laptops, personal desktops, etc.and run intoanything like you have described.

Now with the list of programs you say you are running there were some versions of Spybot and Malwarebytes (freeware versions) that offered Ask.com search toolbars to be added during the install process. I know your are adamant that you have not intentionally installed anything from Ask but haveyou checked your installed programs list (add/remove programs) to make sure Ask.com, or its many versions, have not been installed in your computer through one of these? Especially if you have added any new programs recently.

mostof what you have listedhave”freeware” versions. A lot of “freeware” make their money by being paid by Ask, Google, and others, to have their toolbar installers run “piggyback” of the program installs.

Inactive

COL, one of the first things I did was look for anything related to Ask.com in the Add/Remove programs list and I found nothing but it’s alright as I was able to get rid of the hijacker.

Inactive

In the previous case started in the thread starter a redirect is also known as a hijacked web browser. I would click on a Videomaker link and I would get hijacked to another URL not related to Videomaker but instead related to Ask.com. As mentioned earlier, I did not experience a hijacking at any other forum.
      Today is 03.22.2010.
      On or around 03.20.2010 I was able to get rid of the Ask.com redirect hijack πŸ™‚ ) πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
      Now in its place is another mysterious dysfunction that affects the same links that were hijacked!!
      All of this started when I registered to this site and tried to install an avatar by going to a Videomaker link called MY PROFILE. As stated earlier I would get redirected to Ask.com.
      The new dysfunctionality: The MY PROFILE link (still) doesn’t work. Neither does the MY POSTS link. Ditto for the EDIT link.
      Important note: I tried using a different computer and the result was the same dysfunctionality. Changing browsers did not cure the problem ( I use IE and FF).
      Click on the link below to see the recent / current dysfunctionality that I’m referring to (to see what I see) whenever I click on the above mentioned links. Note that this problem is not a hijack because the URL is Videomaker.com!! (You’ll see Videomaker.com’s URL in the screen shot I took.) Videomaker has a webmaster who should be tech savvy and I’m sure Videomaster has many tech savvy people they consult with and here’s a note to them: what in God’s name is going on????????????????????????????????????????

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4455862010_95f647c135_o.jpg

Inactive

“User not found”

WTF??????

NOTE: PUT YOUR CURSOR ON THE IMAGE AND CLICK ON IT TO EXPAND IT / BLOW IT UP TO FULL VIEW AND YOU’LL CLEARLY SEE VIDEOMAKERS URL WHICH INDICATES THAT IT’S NOT A HIJACK

Participant

Joe –

I found out the ASK toolbar is installed by default (unless you specify not to) if you install LimeWire.

Do you have LimeWire and if so, did you specifically turn that off during installation?

Participant

“User not found”

WTF??????

NOTE: PUT YOUR CURSOR ON THE IMAGE AND CLICK ON IT TO EXPAND IT /
      BLOW IT UP TO FULL VIEW AND YOU’LL CLEARLY SEE VIDEOMAKERS URL WHICH
      INDICATES THAT IT’S NOT A HIJACK

This shows that the original problem is resolved (at least temporarily, you never know when malware will comeback.)

I’ve fixed the problem shown in the most recent screen grabs. Your display name “Sloppy Joe” was used in the URL rather than your nicename “sloppy-joe”. Previously our site was directing you to /community/forums/profile/Sloppy Joe rather than /community/forums/profile/sloppy-joe .

The reason you were the only person (in this topic) that saw the problem is that you’re the only person with a space in your username.

All of the profile links (My-Profile, My Posts, My Favorites) in the right-hand column should work fine now.

Sorry for the trouble and thanks for helping us find this error.

Inactive

At this point it ‘seems’ to be working I’ll let you know about any failures. Thanks for the help this video n00b really appreciates the effort !!!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap