Virus and malware threats – frequent

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

During the past two weeks as I’ve been researching alot over the web about video I have experienced many invasions of my system.

A couple things I’ve found:

Blog comments may read legit, but many conceal links to dangerous stuff. The sad partof it is, there isn’t much way a blog site webmaster would know about whether links are bad unless he/she tests the links.

Forums are alsoplagued withthese bad links as well. You might be able toferret them out by looking at how many postings have been made by the poster that has links in his post. I’d say 20 or more postings on the site he would probably beOK.

A way they really overthrow youis using aso-called codec you have to run to view the video. That is particularly a problem forvideo makers, because that’s what we are into. I suggest, you say NO to accepting any codec unless you are very sure of your situation.

I got a trojan last week that I’ve had practically nil results of removing. When I click on any search link, even from Googlethe trojan takes me to some other site than I selected. Then I hit the backbutton and click again and it takes me to the site I should be going. THis is a very big nuisance.

I’ve been so busy I haven’t had time to research all over the web totry to find a fix. The SpyBot, Lavasoft and AVG cannot seem to remove it either. The Spybot saw it at first,but now Spybot doesn’t see it anymore. The Lavasoft and AVG never saw it.

Ihave all thefeatures of AVG running, Lavasoft and Spybot all the time. Still these little weasels get in.

Beware, and good luck

Participant

Here is a link to a Washington Post article that is very informative about the tons of spam, phoney codecs and other junk.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/09/estdomains.html?nav=rss_blog

Psssst.. I wouldn’t blame you, if you didn’t want to click on it. LOL

Here is a linkto washingtonpost.comof spam and otherrelated issues that is good information as well.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/web_fraud_20/

I’m not on a vendetta or anything. There is just no enforcement of any kind on the web and I’m concerned if the US governmentcreates laws theywill be over-the-top and highly restrictive. Thatmeans the open-ness of expression and everything else will be gone. I know I can work with the restrictions, but I’m not sure it is what is best for the internet.

HOWEVER, it is wrong for companies in Belize to hoard domain names and sell them for exorbitant prices, it is wrong to allow all the west African internet scams, identity theft, and other theft to go unchecked.The internet policing is negligible, and now it only pays to use the most reputable websites especially if you are buying something.The payment procedures for HTTPS are becoming tarnished and hacked.

I wouldn’t be against a 128bit encryption for alot of thingswith the way things are now. I constantly tell my wife to use Paypal for purchases, and not to use our credit cards. Heck, I don’t know if thatmakesany difference either.

Why I put this up here? We are all buying expensive items over the internet andmaking known a great deal of personal information as we make purchases. I don’t want to be ripped off, not just because I can’t afford it. The impact of giving out information on yourself can be far reaching intoRussia, China,Africa,etc.You constantly hear of millions of records being stolen from some big company like TJMaxx, etc. What is the impact of those thefts? We never seem to hear anymore about it, except it was done.

Research identity theft insurance… just bunko insurance. They don’t guarantee any loses, except those expenses you are out to correct the mess created by the theft. That’s like buying Cancer insurance that pays your families hotel bills, while you are in the hospital running up thousands of dollars a day in medical charges. It’s nothing.

If you read this post and have some ideas, or even want to refute what I’ve mentioned.. please do so. I’ve never had a corner on all the good ideas and never will. Iappreciate the siteslike rellerratings.com and others that keep us from walking into the quicksand. I don’thave to experience atough loss to believe it can happen, if Ican learn from other’s experiences, i.e., Broadway.com

Participant

I guess this would be a bad time to point out the main argument against the Mac, in the Mac vs PC debate:

“There aren’t a lot of software programs that run on the Mac”

Participant

DOn

I guess what you are saying… “You lost me in all that, now it’s your turn to get lost.” LOL

Participant

“I guess what you are saying… “You lost me in all that, now it’s your turn to get lost.” LOL”

no, I’m not lost at all, nor do I intend to get lost.

I’m just (with a touch of humor) pointing out there is a way to avoid most of the dangers you mentioned.

A) get a mac. (buy quality the first time, buy cheap, buy twice).(I get four or five spam emails per month, in my mailbox. I’ve had no viruses in the last six years, No lost income/wasted time due to computer crashes.).

B) buy from a reputable store. (give preference to small well established specialty store with knowlegable staff, even if it costs more, and failing that, to big chains with solid reputations, otherwise you’re only saving money till you add up the cost.)

C) Don’t bother trying to warn fools, it’s like casting pearls before swine, and you’ll only find yourself getting told to “Get lost”.

Participant

I rarely click on links on forums or blogs, but I didn’t know that was actually a good thing. Thanks for the heads up!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best royalty-free music and sound effects sites – 2020

Music and sound effects are a crucial part of any film or video project. Using royalty-free stock music in your next project is one way to cut costs without sacrificing quality.
homicide-bootstrap