Videomaker Summit East – Questions

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hey, I’m going to the East Coast Summit for the first time, and I had a few questions for staff or otherwise experienced goers.

-What’s the dress code? Formal? Semi-Formal? Doesn’t matter? Are you going to make me pack ties, when that space could so much more effectively be used for holding camera gear?

-What sort of technology do people bring to the classes? Laptops? Camcorders? Their own personal transcriptionists?

-Any helpful tips for the trip?

-Will B&H be open that week? 😉

Participant

Hi Jim –

I won’t be attending this year but I do live and work in NYC. If you have any questions about NY lemme know.

Personally, I would think the dress code for any conference is "If they don’t arrest you, that’s fine with us".

B&H should be open that week but check the website (the place is a zoo during lunch and after-work hours – go from 10AM-11AM or 2PM-4PM).

If you need a list of decent but not arm/leg restaurants, lemme know.

Birdcat is right, if you dressed appropriately for the public, you have met our dress code requirement. There actually isn’t a dress code requirement. But, most people dress casual– business casual would be on the high end for our events. Do leave room for your camcorder. There will be a contest on Friday/Saturday in which you can participate in and you may want your camcorder for that. I won’t say more as it would give you an unfair advantage.

See you there.

Mark

Inactive

mmontgomery, thanks for the advice!

Hey birdcat, if we land at the Newark airport, where’s the closest place to get a metro pass for the busses/subways, and how much should they cost us?

This should be fun. I’ve ben to other conferences in the past, but never one of Videomaker’s. I look forward to the experience.

It looks like B&H will be closed for the majority of the conference, however they will reopen on Sunday at 10 AM. In the past year, I’ve made 4 trips out to NYC, each time B & H was closed except once. That one time it was raining so hard I decided against making the trip.

Jim, it would be nice to meet you in person (and anyone else from the Forum attending the East Coast Summit). Maybe we can do a meet and greet and the local watering hole after conference hours. What days are you going to be at the Summit?

Anyone else interested in a meet up outside the conference chime in.

Mark

Inactive

Hey Mark,

That sounds fine by me. I’ll actually be at all three days. My wife (who is also my business partner/better half/considerably more attractive) is going to be at the first two. However, I’ll be in town from Thursday to the following Thursday, so I can see the sights, shoot some footage for a few side projects, and meet a few friends from the Internet who live in the area.So in short, yeah, I’ll be around! X-D

I’m thinking of the top of my head that Friday or Saturday evening might be the best for the majority of people at the event. We’ll probably make an announcement at the conference with all the details.

Good. I’m looking forward to it as well. Should be fun.

Mark

Participant

On a Roll Wrote:

Hey birdcat, if we land at the Newark airport, where’s the closest place to get a metro pass for the busses/subways, and how much should they cost us?

Hi Jim –

Newark airport to Manhattan is about $75 by cab (last time I took one – about two years ago). There are other ways however.

Where are you staying? (In Manhattan? And if so uptown, midtown or downtown?)

I believe you can take the airtrain (http://www.panynj.gov/airtrainnewark) from the airport to Newark, Penn Station which will allow you to take either the PATH trains or NJ Transit trains into the city. NJ Transit goes to NY Penn Station (midtown by Madison Square Garden and near B&H). Path can take you to midtown or downtown (several stops – in the Village and lower Manhattan). Also look here for other options: http://www.newarkairport.com/CommutingTravel/airports/html/ewr_transportation.html

Once you’re in the city, you can purchase a Metrocard at any subway station. If you’re gonna use it multiple times per day, they have unlimited ride cards but you need to use them a bunch for them to be cost effective. Otherwise, subway and local bus fare is $2 per person with lots of transfer points (it really is a huge system). If you spend $15 or more on a Metrocard, you get a 20% bonus ($15 buys an $18 card) – You can put up to $100 on tbe card (in reality $80 buys you a $96 card).

Lemme know if anyone else has questions.

Participant

I just got back from New York (also visited B&H and they are closing to observe some holidays so check their website for the schedule.)

Also I took the Olympic Airporter Shuttle which goes between Newark International Airport and JFK Airport direct, with no stops, it takes about an hour or a little more. It costs US$24.00 one way + a tip for the driver. Olympic has a website where you can book and pay for a spot on the shuttle or you can go to the Ground Transportation area and dial 22 on the phones there and talk with them.

Inactive

I have a fairly URGENT question, as I just noticed this tonight while printing off a copy of the schedule to pack.

If anyone from VM sees this, is the current schedule listed on the site (the one with Legal Issues seminar Saturday at 1PM) the accurate one? The schedule I printed off a few weeks ago looks nothing line the schedule currently on the site, and now I have no clue what to expect.

If anyone knows an answer, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap