Videographer’s Table

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m abeginnerand have a baby question. I wascommissionedto record the Bar Mitzvah event. I was at the venue where the event will be held and the event coordinator asked me “do you need the table next to DJ, we’ll set it up if you do?” My question is: What the purpose of the table if videographer needs one? I hope i’ll get some response. As i grow intechnical knowledge, there gonna be my turn to help those you starting up.

Participant

Many times for events shooters will bring a second operator, and all the associated gear (cameras, tripods, audio, laptops to dump footage), and associated baggage. Some videographers will use a table as a staging area (place to store gear).

As you’re starting out I’m assuming you don’t have all this gear to worry about, so the table isn’t needed. When you grow and end up bringing more equipment and help, you need more room to organize to your individual needs.

Inactive

Thank you Ryan, I’ll probably request one. I gonna shoot using shoulder rig as well use a monopod, and also i would need to put wireless mic receiver somewhere. Also could you tell me when is appropriate to ask for it, at the arrival to the venue or call them few days in advance. Thanks.

Participant

Here’s a sad but true: don’t leave ANYTHING out where it can be stolen — it probably will be!

Sadly, you’ll be in a room filled with folks whose honesty is unknown to you. Electronic gear of any kind has an allure that is irresistible to folks. We’ve had headphones, lavaliere mics and countless shiny connectors wander off.

A couple of years ago, New York City thieves were dressing in tuxedos, coming to wedding receptions in hotels, and stealing gear from the DJs and videographers.

Ask the coordinator for a secure area where you can stage your equipment, leave hats and coats, purses, etc.; absent that, lock things that aren’t going to be used in the trunk of your car.

Jack

Inactive

I gonna hire an assistant (friend of mine) to keep eye on the gears. I don’t have much gear though. Just some wireless cardioit and lav mikes, receivers. And yes it really shame that many in tuxedos and without it as well falling so low as stealing from event vendors.

Inactive

Will I have a chance to be your assistant? Here is my portfolio http://ZoomH4nReview.net

Inactive

Sure you’ll have πŸ™‚ I use a Tascam RD-07 mk II as of now. I’m not grown to Zoom H4n yet. I hope soon.

Participant

KireZ,

I’ve been a professional videographer since 1991 and I’ve never had any equipment stolen, I have forgot things at venues and had to go back for them. Having a table by the DJ is always a good thing to have, number 1 is the DJ is almost always there and the first thing I do when I get to a venue is meet the DJ and ask if it’s okay to put my equipment there by him/her. The DJ is a good source to have on your side; first they can give you a heads up if something is about to happen (should you be out doing interviews with the guest) for your bar mitzvah you shouldn’t have any security problems, I’ve done hundreds of Bar/Bat Mitzvah and never had a problem, just stay on your toes because there are a lot of events to the Bar Mitzvah. Just as a suggestion there is some equipment you might want to have with you, a 50-100 foot extension cord if your camera can run on A/C power just incase you have a battery/batteries issue and if you’re not using a LED light you might want to have extra bulbs for the light you do use. Having your own table is a good thing because you will want to be able to sit down occasionally and that is a good spot.

Inactive

Carl, your reply is so helpful. Thank you for pointing out the courtesy conduct with DJ, I’ll definitely do as you told. I don’t have AC power in my arsenal, but i do have total of three batteries, I think it gonna be sufficient. After my first battery out of juice, I’ll plug it in to recharge. I gonna use on camera LED light with CTO filter attached. I also ordered purple filter just to do a few dancing shots with it as an experiment. Since you mentioned guest interviews, could you tell me, if you get a chance, what the best time during the event to do that? Just when guest arrive or after they had some drinks so they be more prompt to talk? πŸ™‚ This is my first event video so any help is greatly appreciated.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year β€” 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap