VIDEO VS DOCUMENTARY

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

SORRY I REALLY DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT ANYTHING, AND THATS WHY I AM TRYING TO LEARN. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A VIDEO AND A DOCUMENTARY? I REALLY NEED TO FIND THIS OUT.PLEASE SOMEONETELL ME ASAP. THANK YOU!

Participant

That is kind of like asking the difference between a magazine and National Geographic. In a nutshell…

One is a format in which to deliver content and the other is the type of content style.

Video can be a visual (and audio)recording of anything you desire.

A documentary is, typically,a factual, historical, actual, story about a person, place, or event. Granted, in some “documentaries” poetic license is used to varying degrees to “sell” the story.

Participant

It can be confusing as we live in a time where people call videos films and music videos shot on film videos. lol

Documentaries simply document. As mentioned above, they tell a factual story and have no rules to abide by whatsoever. In my opinion, documentaries offer more create freedom than any other kind of video or film project. This is probably why I have specialized in documentaries for the last couple of decades. I love em.

Inactive

First: speaking technically, video is moving images that are not shot on film. Video can be shot on MiniDV, hard drive, flash memory, etc. The technical difference between video and film is what the moving images are recorded on.

The term video has come to mean any set of moving images used to tell a story. In that sense, all sets of moving images are video. Whether we’re speaking of a dramatic film, a music video, a documentary, a commercial, or anything else; they can all be referred to as videos.) So, unless you’re talking about what kind of material a camera is recording to, the words video and film are usually interchangeable.

Maybe you are asking about the difference between a documentary and a narrative drama. With reference to storytelling style, a documentary usally features interviews, first-hand footage, and data/information. Documentaries are more like textbooks.

Dramatic (or narrative) videos/films tend to be like novels. They may be fiction or non-fiction, but they all have actors and actresses playing roles.

This all can be a little confusing when, for example, a music video is shot on film. Do we call it a film or a video. Usually “a film” referrs to a feature length production, but can also be used in the context of a “short film.” A film does not need to have been shot on film to be a film. A film could be shot on video (on digital tape or hard drive) and still be called a film.

Hopefully this clears some things up!

Best,
    Jeremy

• Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap