Video Tape Cataloging

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Long time reader, first time poster…anyways…I am working for an advertising agency in NM and they want me to start a project where I catalog and organize all their old tapes and be able to keep adding tapes as they are made. I know I could setup an Excel spreadsheet to do this but I have used software before that created a key-word searchable catalog, unfortunately this was in-house software from a company I worked for back in AZ. Anyone have reccommendations on software? Thanks in advance guys!

Participant

I use Microsoft Access for my video database. It can be used to create a database that is searchable. I’ve used it to create a database searchable by Footage description or tape number. The database also includes information such as: Project, tape location, Special notes, and videographer. You can create whatever fields of information you want in access and then have anyone input the information. I’ve have about 40-50 tapes in my database and in a matter of seconds I can tell what is on a given tape.

If you are interested in using this method let me know and I’ll send you a copy of my database so you don’t have to create your database from scratch.

Inactive

Thanks but unfortunately the only PC in the entire office is the one sitting in the closet…with a big, fire-burnt hole in the side of it (don’t ask). Anyone know of a Mac alternative for Access?

Participant

elboberino,

Hey I learned something new today! Filemaker Pro is an application that functions like Microsoft Access for the Mac. You can use this tool to create your video databases, which are searchable after you create them. The search function is very simply to use as is the software. I’ve been playing around with it this morning. It’s great!!! You can even export Excel files from a Microsoft Access database and import them into FileMaker Pro.

I look forward to using Filemaker Pro to build and create databases in the future. I appreciate you posting your question. I excited about this tool.

Here’s the link for more information so you can download a free trial of the software.

http://www.filemaker.com/products/fm/

Good success on your databases.

Inactive

Thanks freeman,
      I think we already have this software in the office so I will relay this to the bosses. Maybe I can get a raise on my small intern wages….

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
homicide-bootstrap