Video System Setup Help

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hello Fellow Videomakers!

I am in the process of setting up my video editing suite and have just purchased a Hauppauge Computer Works Colossus video capture card for my main system.

Today I connected my JVC BR-S611U S-VHS deck to the card directly via the composite input and sound via XLR to RCA cables. The video captures fine, however the sound is WAY TOO HOT.

It doesn’t seem to matter if you reduce the volume, the distortion is still ever-present in the captured video. I have a feeling that this may be due to the XLR to RCA conversion and not being “line level” or balanced perhaps.

There are future plans (very near future in fact) to get an audio mixer to handle my many sources for the capture device, but I would love to figure out the audio issue and how it might be solved. Again the VCR is a JVC BR-S611U, and so if anyone has experience with these decks and can offer what I may be missing on the audio output, this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you,

Mike Needham

Participant

Well I found a switch on the back for audio out. It has 3 settings… +6 db, 0 db, and -6db for the gain on the outputs. I tried the 0 setting and it helped a little but had a little distortion, so I went to the -6 and it seems to be still a bit hot for my liking, but the distortion is no longer present, so it appears this solved the issue.

Your problem, Mike (the easy answer) is you going to or from Mic/Line. The distortion tells me you are feeding line out into mic in on your computer. You’ll need an attenuator or device to bring the line level feed down to a mic level, or see if there’s a line input on your computer.

Participant

Hello Again Earl:

Thank-you for the reply. I am not sure about MIC level but it is possible on the “from” on the BRS611U. They are XLR after all.

However, the input on the Colossus card is definitely line level. They meant for you to hook up component connectors or use the HDMI in on the capture card. It is REALLY a nice card and very good for price point, plus you can run optical TOSlink into the card as well.

So, perhaps my first thought which was to run XLR into an audio mixer and run the line level out mains into the card is the way to go.

I hope to fix the audio mixer part by Monday next week πŸ˜‰

Thanks again for the reply and I do appreciate the input.

Participant

” Today I connected my JVC BR-S611U S-VHS deck to the card directly via the composite input and sound via XLR to RCA cables. The video captures fine, however the sound is WAY TOO HOT. “

A simple 10 db or 15 db passive attenuator between your JVC and the audio input to your video card should do the trick.

Rick Crampton

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video β€” 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap