Video Resume

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I came across this niche exploring video business opportunities. I think this is a broad market which includes job seekers, excutives, business owner, actors and anyone else trying to distinguish themselves. Granted these lend themselves to be low cost quick turnaround type projects, however, for the novice “Vidi-Entrepeneur” with easily accessible studio space it may offer an option for entry into the market. Also, upselling features and quality could generate higher returns. What’s the view on this niches out in the VM Community?

Participant

When bidding on jobs, I make sure to target the prospective client with video I have done that closely matches what I think they’re looking for (or should be). Along with a very specific letter/email, I include my demo reels, YouTube channel info, link to my LinkedIn references and any other pertinent info. More importantly, I am finding personal networking is the best tool for finding new work

Thanks Bruce, I guess I was not clear about this inquiry being focused on producing Video Resumes for others as a income opportunity. Certainly making ourselves client # 1 makes sense as well.

Participant

Great suggestion, John. There’s nothing wrong with “low cost quick turnaround type projects.” And you don’t really need studio space to do these. We often shoot them in a paneled study in our home, or outdoors against an evergreen background, depending on the image the client wants to project.

Lighting is dead simple: a couple of dimmable fairly low wattage lights and a reflector.

A teleprompter is awfully handy but not essential. It cuts down on retakes quite a bit, though. One shooting tip that saves a lot of work: re-frame each take — i.e., medium close up for take one, head shot for take two, etc., — which allows for efficient cutting in post without having to worry about jump cuts.

Jack

Participant

Jack, can you recommend a teleprompter?

Participant

Ed: I can’t. We hire in a technician who handles teleprompter work and I’ve never paid much attention to what he uses. We have also used a home-made unit that uses an old 15 inch flat-screen monitor and a laptop that one of the folks in our business association made. Worked like a dream. Walter Graff, a professional DP and inveterate gadgeteer, has an excellent set of instructions for doing it yourself on his web site at http://www.bluesky-web.com/prompter.htm

Jack

Participant

@Ed – I use a product called Prompt (http://www.movieclip.biz/prompt.html) which runs on a laptop, which I position just under my lens. It meets my needs and is < $50.

If you have an ipad use Pro Prompter!

I use it its great does the job and very inexpensive on the app store

Robert

Participant

Thanks everyone, for thegreat info πŸ™‚

Thanks to all that responded. Looks Like Jack is the only one providing this service. The teleprompter option certainly adds value to the process and I trust warrants an up charge.
      I came across some web site where services were being offered, with interesting pricing info. http://cnvideoresumes.com/VideoResumePricing.html

Also, it appears that partnering up with a staffing company helps generate leads.

http://www.protechfl.com/video_resumes.asp

Jack, I take it that your services account for a small % of your total income.

As I explore sources of income for video producers, I am curious what niches established and emerging “Vidi-Entrepeneurs” are seeking. There certainly seems to be a great deal of reference to wedding videography, followed by industrial videos for business clients including brand & training videos. There is some reference to special interest videos where producers are producing contenet for direct sales. I would like to hear about more categories of niche producers. To the VM Forum community, can you help me validate the sources of revenue by providing a % breakdown of your revenues by service?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best 360 cameras available β€” 2021

360-degree video is a brand new medium driven by new 360 camera technology. However, its immersive qualities create unique technological challenges.
homicide-bootstrap