Video Recording Formats and Editing Software

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am in the process of trying to select a digital camcorder for some projects I plan on doing and have a question about some of the various video recording formats in order to narrow down which camcorder to buy. My projects will primarily be for a web site I plan on publishing and for YouTube. My preference is to shoot videos with a look similiar to what you see on reality shows, TV news, The Daily Show; in essence, most of the videos will not have the film look. I also plan to do blue or green screen backgrounds for some of my videos and incorporate some animination and graphics in my videos. Should the need arise, I would like the option of shooting film-like video which I understand is 24p. Typically, what shooting format should I be looking at in the digital camcorder (ie 1080i/60, 720/60p, 720/30p) to achieve the video look I want to produce.

High definition is probably not a necessity at this point although I have been looking primarily at HD camcorders because I like the option of recording in that mode and a lot of them can film in 16:9. While most of my projects will be on the internet, I would like to option of filming and putting the video on a DVD and have it displayed optimally for widescreen televisions.

The other question I have is about software and editing. Some of my videos will be like a news segment or a comedy news show other videos or pictures will appear on the video along with the video that I filmed. I also would like from time to time to use animation (think Daily Show or The Colbert Report) where the title of the segment is animated along the bottom of the screen or an opening segment is animated. Then, of course, is the blue or green screen work where I can display either a still photo or another video in the background. Any ideas on which software(s) are ideal for these types of projects or any good books orDVDs I can read. I would use be using a PC for my editing work.

Thank you. Robert

Participant

You asked a lot of question and I will address a few of them. You can find both books and DVD’s here on yhe Videomaker website. One book that I would recommend “The filmmaker’s Handbook” a comprehensive guide for the digital age. This covers and explains a lot about film and video. I have the 2008 edition which also covers high definition formats. It is a great all around guide and you will learn a lot. My copy came from Borders.

You also said you want to shoot in 16:9. Most of the standard definition cameras will record in 16:9

Your computer platform will influence your Editing software I am sure you will get many recomendations. I work ona PC and use Sony Vegas Pro 8. I moved from Uleads Meadia Studio Pro. When I bought Vegas it came bundled with a set of VASST training DVD’s which were a great help in gettng me up to speed on the software.

You will probably need more than just the editing software for some of the things that you want to do and I am sure others will make some recomendation in that area especially around your annimation requirements.

I hope this helps

Participant

If you are shooting for the web, I don’t see a need to shoot any other HD format other than 720p30, however, I don’t think you need HD. I think if you shoot 16:9 on a Panasonic DVX100B or a Sony PD170, you would be satisfied with the results.

Since you want to do green screen, if you insist on shooting HD I would recommend a DVCProHD camera since that codec is an I-Frame codec. Long GOP codecs, such as AVCHD, HDV, and maybe even XDCam EX, will give you problems when attempting to do green screen.

As for editing on PC, I suggest Adobe Premiere for editing and After Effects for your graphics.

Inactive

Thank you for your replies. Does the 720p30 recording format produce an video image similiar to reality and news TV programs? More often than not, that will be whatI want most of my videos to look like. I may do some film-like videos, but not very often.

I am strongly considering one of the SD camera such as the DVX100B or the XL1. For HD, I’m sort of considering the JVC HD100U or the JVC HM100. I read somewhere that the JVC-HD100U was used to make a movie that used a lot of green screen work. I believe I also read somewhere else that the HD100U was good for 24p film-like video, but not for reality or studio type video. But since the HD100U and the HM100 has a wider variety of recording formats than a little of thelower to mid-range camcorders, I’m not sure if that is accurate.

Would you recommend green screen projects with a SD camcorder (like DVX100B or XL1)?

Inactive

Does anyone have any recommendations on the recording format (720p/60, 1080i, etc) needed to achieve the live TV look (such as the video type seen on the TV news, The Daily Show) or if the Standard Definition camcorders like the DVX100B or XL2 are capable of recording and displaying that type of video? Most of my videos would be shot indoors. I would like to narrow down the camcorder I need to purchase based the recording formats.

Inactive

I would like to add that the videos for will primarily for the web, but occassionally, I may want to create standard definition DVDs as well.

Participant

Good lighting is essential. Look in a TV studio of any kind and the most prevalent equipment you will see is the multitude of lights.

Good audio (mic placement) is also very important – use decent mics on boom poles or wireless lav’s if you can.

A tripod is also important, as is a teleprompter and talent that knows how to both run it and read from it (both sides of the camera).

I think the camera is the least important piece of the puzzle as even a good consumer model will yield decent results.

Just MHO.

Inactive

Thank you.

Participant

Hi.

I find very interesting this post because I have a similar issue. I am bit confused whether I should shoot in 60i or 30p for web, DVD and eventually Blu-Ray.

Participant

Darkmilonguero, go with the shooting 30p for DVD. There are some of the consumer Sony and Panasonic cameras (think hand-sized camcorder) out there that will shoot in AVCHD on an HCSD card or hard drive that you can output out to a portable Panasonic DVD recorder. The recorder will allow you to record AVCHD onto a standard DVD and the disc will play on Blu-Ray players. But stick to DVD’s if you can. I have been in business for over 10 years doing video production, I have yet to have a corporate client ask me for the finished product on Blu-Ray, so I don’t think it’s a format I have to get into…yet. If you want to upload to YouTube for really good quality, just pick 720p, 30 fps for your final render settings on your project. YouTube downgrades to Flash video anyway, so your quality will be good. Here is a fishing video I produced recently that will show you the quality you can get by uploading in 720p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXRtau21FI8

Happy filming!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best smartphone cameras for video — 2021

Nowadays, more and more people are reaching for their smartphones to shoot video. In recent years, smartphones have advanced drastically in regards to their shooting abilities. However, which smartphones boast the best shooting capabilities? After much consideration, we have...
homicide-bootstrap