VIDEO QUALITY QUESTION.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

WILL COPYING VIDEO FILES FROM A PC TO A EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE EFFECT THE QUALITY?

It does depend on some compression factors and what kind of format you’re going to/from, but a digital copy is very nearly a perfect copy of the original digital copy. So, generally speaking, if you copy a .mov or dot whatever file to an external hard drive there should be no discernible difference in the quality.

Participant

TY IDIDN’TTHINK SO BUT THEN AGAIN IWASN’TSURE. I ALWAYS WENT STRAIGHT TO MY EX HARD DRIVE BEFORE BUT THIS TIME MYVIDEOIS GOING TO A MAC USER SO I WAS TOLD TO FORMAT MY HARD DRIVE TO FAT 32. WELL FAT32 ONLY ALLOWS 4G, MOST OF MY TAPES TAKE ALOT MORE THAN THAT. SO I WAS PUTTING THEM ON THE COMP HARD DRIVE THEN COPYING TO EX HARD DRIVE AND IDIDN’THAVE THE LIMIT ISSUE.

Participant

yes – but you can give the files to a mac user unless they can be read by the mac. Putting them on any pc internal or external drive is fine – but a mac won’t read an external drive formatted in the usual pc way – hence why they’ve asked for fat32 – which both pcs and macs can read. A friend told me about something called exfat – which can be read by both – but that’s a bit beyond me. You could just stick them on some USB sticks if you have any big ones, or burn them to a DVD data disk?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Products of the Year — 2019

2019 has seen fantastic new equipment for video production, but with a world of options at your disposal, which is the best? We carefully evaluated each new product, emphasizing its innovation, value compared to its direct competition, and its...
homicide-bootstrap