Video Quality

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Apologies if this is the wrong area but i wasnt sure where to post. I have a number of videos which i need to get on computer to edit. At the minute we have been using a dvd recorder taking input from a video and burning it onto a disc and then i rip the disc using MPEG streamclip to mpg. This works fine but the quality of the dvds are poor so my final output doesnt look great on a big screen. How can i improve the quality of the footage on the computer?

Participant

Your editing program should allow for capture with firewire. Is what you’re trying to capture on miniDV tapes or VHS tapes?

Participant

Some is on vhs and some is on realy small tapes from a camcorder, no idea what they are called but maybe minidv as you have stated.

Inactive

Have you heard the saying – GIGO – Garbage In garbage Out.

If you’re going from VHS originally, you can never get good quality on a big screen.

You’re also compressing too many times.

You need to rip straight to the computer.

Go straight from the VHS tape player to the computer.

There are lots of video products you can buy that will do that.

Participant

i have access to two panasonic dvd recroders which have hard drives. ez75 and eh50. is there anyway i can get these devices or hard drives connected to my computer to retrieve the files before they are burnt to dvd?

Inactive

locate a digital camera with Analog in. Hook players up to analog in and come out of camerafirewire Digital into the computer.

I have done it many times…Hope this helps.

Harry

Participant

I would recommend glasseye’s suggestion of using a digital camera, but you could alsouse the canopus ADVC-110analog to digital converter. The converter is around $200 which is whyI would reccomend justbuying a digital camfor around the same price if you don’t already have one.If you’re crafty enough, youmight be able to find one for less than $100. I picked an extra one up for $50 at a pawn shop. The quality will be the same as if you used the canopus converter.

Regards

Any of the above can certainly do the job better than your present approach simply because, especially with the VHS (I hope THEY are originals and NOT dubs), you’re entering too much compression into the outcome by going that route.

You definitely want to achieve direct feed from original tape source to computer, without introducing the extra compression because that is very simliar to what happens with a copy, of a copy, of a copy of analog video source. Feeding from the tape player outlets without something to maintain the signal quality, such as a Distribution Amplifier, is another weak link.

Whatever device you use, you absolutely want the most direct conversion route possible getting the footage into your computer. That being said…

…I have directly fed VHS and other tape resources (admittedly now days mostly MiniDV digital tape sources) into a dedicated editing system hard drive via SVideo cable, then fed THAT directly via Firewire into my Mac for work. This has always generated image quality I can live with, and certainly better (that is if the original source was decent enough to begin with) than any other approach I’ve taken.

The other factor that might make a difference is that many of the current selection of brand names in DVD playback especially, and some tape playback units, have one or the other upconversion technology inside that can often enhance your video to the point that it doesn’t look half bad on a wide screen HD unit.

A digital/analog converter is probably your best bet, followed by a camera of some sort used as a feeder, preferably one with a Firewire outlet – hoping that your computer has one of those – and if not a fast USB connection. If your computer accepts analog input (doesn’t sound as if it does), a lot of cameras on the market today offer analog play through from outside source feeds such as VHS, S-VHS and MiniDV tape feeds.

I will soon be purchasing 2, maybe 3, Canon HV30s for the purpose of HD acqusition and feed, using one of them mostly for a playback unit when I make my first move to HDV from SD, currently using Canon XL1 and GL2 cameras.

Fortunately, I also have a Sony DSR11 MiniDV tape deck with Firewire – that comes in handy.

Participant

thanks everyone for your help. Im looking into getting a lend of a camcorder with firewire output on it but i dont think it has the analogue in. But at least now i have a better idea of what i need to do to get everything working. Ill hopefully know over the next day or two how i get on and ill let you all know. Thanks.

Participant

I am able to captue the video ok but the quality is terrible. I am using premiere pro to capture it. How can i improve it. The videos fine on the minidv tapes and im using a firewire cable.

Participant

If (as I think you’re saying) you are going from VHS to the analgue input of a camcorder, then the firewire out to premiere, then the only problem would be the quality level of the old video tape. using a camcorder in this way is the same as using a dedicated analgue/digital converter like the Canopus. I’ve got a couple of the JVCS-VHS/DV combined units, and firewire out to premiere from S-VHS is pretty good. VHS first generation is just OK, but obviously nowhere as good as DV. Second generation VHS is grim, and anything more than that unusable. Also – first generation LP is also pretty awful. Mind you if you take the LP resolution of around 180ish TV lines, what do we expect?

Participant

I think i found the problem. the tv i was watchin it on hadnt been switched from high definition to normal. once that had been done it looked fine. thanks for all the help.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap