video quality

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

I use sony vegas 7 as my main editing program for cutting and adding edited after effects or 3d max footage. However the quality of the render is not as good as the original files. I render with mpeg1 or quicktime, set the template to best and put the quality on 100% however it still loses some quality. Rather than going for uncompressed (especially if i am doing 2 hours camcorder footage) what other tweaks can sort out the best video quality?

Inactive

video fx universe,

I’m not sure, but I think you’re talking about your 3D rendering, as opposed to your final render of the edited movie. It’s best to maintain high quality, uncompressed video until you finally encode the edited movie for placing on DVD (or BluRay, or whatever). Otherwise, you’re doing a lossy compression on video which has already undergone some lossy compression.

These days, high capacity hard drives are very affordable. Add a large hard drive (or 2) to your system so that all your original and intermediate video files can be raw (uncompressed) AVI.

BTW, I notice Vegas does a nice job of mixing of different resolutions of still images. It might do the same for varying resolutions of video. I wonder if increasing the animation resolution a bit would give to better results in the final edited video. (Not sure if that would work….. just a thought.)

Good luck, πŸ™‚
      Ken Hull

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors β€” 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap