Video Production

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hello forum 🙂

I have a script for a video 45 seconds (not a commercial) with 2 actors and I’m looking for someone who can make it for me. I have very low budget. I posted few job on freelancer site, but offers I received were not even close to my budget. Please advise.

Thanks in advance

Usually when someone says they have a “low” or “very low” budget what they’re really saying is they have NO budget and the guys who have been in the trenches trying to make a living with video aren’t going to be interested in taking on such a job. However, occasionally the project might be of such compelling interest that someone will do it pro bono based on certain conditions before, during or after the fact.

People like you can get lucky but keep in mind that the project must be compelling and must have some serious values over simply being a personal pursuit for your own gratification.

That being said, two people interacting on a small setting/stage, on location (this is your major area of expense as you will need to provide travel, lodging and food, transportation, and if it goes beyond indoor with controlled lighting and sound even MORE) COULD simply be a three-to-four hour gig at about $200 per hour if the producer is providing everything it takes to make it happen … other than the “talent” and props and what I’ve already mentioned of course.

Then again it could be even less, but I doubt anyone with equipment necessary, talent and experience, who considers him/herself to be a knowledgeable professional is going to go for anything less, and probably NOT that amount.

There’s a decided difference in someone who can “put it together” with basic equipment and knowledge and a true professional who has all the equipment, or can acquire it or give you a list and let you rent, buy or lease it for the shoot, then knows how to direct, what to shoot for, what to take to the editing bay and how to put it all together, plus likely you want to “sit in” on the editing and production process which is going to further increase the number of hours it is likely to take to make it all happen.

So, instead of saying you have a low/no budget project, give people in the business an idea of your needs, expectations (you don’t HAVE to give away your idea or whatever it is) and what you plan to do with this “project” after it is completed. You need to also SAY how much you have to spend. Instead of worrying that you might come against someone who will USE IT ALL, if you have ANY budget at all and put it out there, a REAL professional will give you a serious idea of how far off the mark you are. OR, will actually do it, do it right, on time and under budget.

Some of us pride ourselves in being able to finish early and come in under budget, but we don’t get a lot of joy from doing something for nothing and ALL of us have experienced “carrots” and “kisses and promises” so we’re a bit put off by the usual approaches that smack of “do this one and there’ll be even more and better gigs down the road.”

This is my observations, advice and suggestions for getting somebody to consider your project.

Inactive

My budget is around 500$. I’m sure that everyone would enjoy the project.

Do you know where to look for the crew ?

Thanks a lot!

“I’m sure that everyone would enjoy the project.”

Greg,

Common but naive thinking on the part of many budding filmmakers. With a $500 budget you’re looking at maybe a weekend shoot if you already have all the gear and transportation you need. For that kind of money, you’re better off trying to get your friends and associates interested in a fun couple of days worth of shooting. Unless you have family / a buddy or three already in the business and they want to kill some time on your project, the odds of any pro’s coming onboard your project are miniscule.

At the ‘zero budget level’ (Microbudget cuts off at $5-$10k), it’s all about your enthusiasm because any pro knows there is little chance your flick will receive any attention let alone a potential distribution deal. More than likely they’ll figure it will end up being yet another ‘YouTube Special’ and will look elsewhere to spend their time and effort.

So, it will be your enthusiasm for the project that will get you crewed up and running. Getting your family, friends and associates interested in participating will be your best bet. Be advised; most of that $500 will go to feeding your cast and crew during production (and a wrap party at the end won’t hurt either.) The standard rule is; if you’re not paying, the food better be good.

Now, a good place to find folks willing to work for free is the 48 Hour Film Festival. Depending on the city you participate in, there will be a good number of people eager and willing to turn and burn during the competition. The only drawback is, it won’t be a project completely of your design as you will be given a theme at random.

Other than that, people you know are going to be your best option.

Participant

Greg, I’ve been looking for such projects and associated talent to pull it off. The people you need are out there, you will have to try really hard to find them.

The trouble is nobody likes to work for free, and it may me a monumental challenge to find somebody that is is interested in your project unless it is something they really connect with emotionally.

You may find it easier to get a small community theatre interested in doing a play, to show the strengths of the script and talent in order to entice a budding filmmaker to invest thier time and put wear and tear on thier gear.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best lights for video production — 2020

Lighting needs run the gamut, from huge budget productions to small, DIY vloggers, and there’s something for every niche. This article will explain what to think about before buying lights and provide a list of the best video lights currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap