Video Monitoring question.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am building my new studio and this time its going to be geared heavily towards Video Editing.

I’ve seen those Specific Sony (and other) video monitors that all the suites have, but how ‘acceptable’ is it to move away from that and do all your editing on a Large LCD or Plasma TV ? Can i build a video suite around a Large LCD and still get professional results? How common is that with LCD’s falling in prices.

Any advise on this would be appreciated!

Thanks

Dennis

Dennis,

Good questions. Brian (Editor in Chief) and I are doing a two part tips and techniques segment on our Vidcast about setting up a monitor, its uses on the field and studio, etc. It should go live to iTunes in a couple of weeks. What’s nice about this is we show you how to set up a professional monitor or a TV (LCD, plasma) so that it’s accurate.

But, in the meantime, I’ll start the conversation about monitoring with what I know and am used to. In a professional studio you generally use professional production monitors (Sony is certainly a popular player here, but JVC, Panasonic, Ikegami, Marshall are some others). A professional production monitor will give you more control when it comes to fine-tuning luma, chroma and phase. In other words, it’s easier to make sure what you see is what you audience should see. But, LCDs, Plasmas, and a good ol’ TV tube are also good for referencing your signal, but are limited in controls and are not something you should bank on if you’re doing work for high end broadcast.

I’d choose something that fits your needs. If you’re not going to be doing a lot of shooting, or making content for broadcast (at a national or regional level), or ultra fine color correction or color grading, a LCD or plasma or generic TV will suffice. Otherwise consider a production monitor, they’re definitely worth the price tag if you’re going to be doing work at that caliber.

Anybody out there using LCDs or plasmas for studio monitoring?

Inactive

I’ve honestly been very happy with my LCD monitor for color. If I need to get a little more picky, I plug in my TV.

Getting a professional video monitor is definitely the ideal solution, but for the cost, plus the fact that my business is mostly local weddings and the occasional commercial or corporate video, I rarely have any situation where the ol’ LCD isn’t good enough. Besides, we all know that NTSC stands for "never the same colors" anyway, right? πŸ˜€

All kidding aside, if your budget allows for a pro video monitor, go for it. Otherwise, you’ll survive, with a little fine-tuning, an LCD monitor.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best digital storage for video editors β€” 2021

As digital video resolutions increase, our need for storage increases as well. If you’re ready to step up to a new storage solution, you’re in the right place.
homicide-bootstrap