video lag in editor window

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I’mstepping up toAdobe Premiere Pro now, after years with Pinnacle Studio (various versions). I recognize the added power, but miss the ease of use. But, I’m learning my way around it and starting with a simple scene making a character on screen suddenly turn invisible.

I shot the character on screen using my Sony Handycam HD camera. Then I shot some footage of the set, without the character. In Premiere, I set it up with the character walking across the screen on Track Two. Then in Track One, I have nothing until the part where the character becomes invisible–then I have the set without the character, and at that point I turn the opacity of Track Two down to 33% or so, so you can just barely see the character. The effect looks great when rendered, but while editing, the preview in the upper right hand corner of the software starts to lag as soon as the second clip comes in. It plays fine before that. It’s only a 9 second clip, so I can’t imagine it’s eating up too many resources.

I tried switching Track One and Two back and forth, but no difference.

Is this just the way it is in the software? If so, I guess I can live with it, but it makes it hard to edit since the movement of the “invisible” character on the screen is choppy.

I can’t imagine my machine is too weak, but FYI: Intel Core 2 Quad, 2.83 GHz, 8 GB RAM DDR2, Vista 64bit Ultimate, NVIDIA Gforce GTS 250 vid card.

I guess my biggest question is, “Is it just like that and that’s the way it is?” If not, what’s up?

i wish someone would have answered your original post, because i have so many choppy and hang issues using a much slower machine than you. this is an interesting question. if you have since found out, please let us know. thanks.

ron

Participant

This is simply why folks spend more money on higher end apps. Render it and it’ll be fine.

Ggrinner is correct–the rendered product looks great.

Ron, I have since learned a lot and it has mostly to do with the encoding of AVCHD. This was answered, albeit in a different post. Read this post and maybe it’ll put you on the right path; I think it did with me.

http://videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/hmc40-worklow-help-for-a-total-newb

Participant

I can’t say much about an experience editing AVCHD, as I’ve never used it. The best action I’ve heard is converting the AVCHD (.mts) files to MPEG-2 TS (.m2ts) files that are more lightly compressed.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/avchd-video-converter.php

thanks pseudosafari… though i’m not sure if AVCHD is the same as an AVI file, which is what i get when i capture from miniDV tape. sorry, i’m usually a geek, but not so much with video file types – and don’t get me started on h.264 because i will scream!!! (haha.)

starcityfame, avi’s shouldn’t be giving you the grief that my avchd footage does. what are the specs on your machine? and how big are the avi files?

Participant

Not to hijack this but does Export > Media render the project too or do I need to do it before hand. CS4

Rendering is key to making playback smooth. Notice the red line above your tracks? Hit Enter and it will “render” that to a green line. Then playback should be smooth. It’s not the same as exporting it or rendering it to a new file to watch on another machine.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap