video in text??? sony vegas pro

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

is it possible to do a Mask for more that one text track? or is there any way to merge mutiple tracks into 1 layer? what im trying to do is have the video show through the text but i have multiple tracks of text that i want to use..any help would be greatly appreciated

Participant

this depends on what version of vegas you have. if you have sony vegas movie studios, you can only have up to 4 tracks. if you have sony vegas pro, you can have as many tracks as you want. what you would do is just put one track on top of another. if in the generated media, the text looks like a black and white checkerboard, than that means that other than the text, the background is transparent and you can put it directly on top of another piece of text. otherwise, it should have a solid color background in which case you should go to special FX, and choose the chroma key tab. then you can use whichever one you want (it doesn’t really matter which one you use), then you use the eyedropper tool, and click on any spot on your computer monitor that contains the color that you want to apply the effect for. whichever track is on top, that is the picture that will be on top.

Participant

by the way, if you are a member, you can just go to the member page and click on “ask a question” in the hotline tab. that way, the actual videomaker team will answer you (and quickly too)

Participant

i understand that…but what im tring to do is have the video show within the text..and thus far it only allows me to do this with only one track

Participant

thanks for the heads up

Participant

do you want to show it in a hole in a letter, in multiple letters, or on the text itself. if you wanted to place it in the holes in the letters, you would have to just use a chroma key effect for the exact color that the holes were. then you would just have to position it right. if you wanted to make the text out of the video, than you just use the chroma key effect on the color of the text. if you want a different video in each hole in a letter, than you also use the chroma key effect, but it is a little more complicated. you also have to use the crop tool which is a button on the end of the clip. then you just have to move it around until it looks right on the preview window. the problem though with vegas’s crop tool is that it works in revers. so you are basically cropping the monitor instead of the clip. so if you wanted to make the clip smaller, you would have to make the clip bigger. although if you only had one clip per track, there is a button on the actual track called track media that works normally, but it works for the entire track, not just a single clip

Participant

sorry. my mistake. the button is called track motion, not track media

Participant

ok i see what you mean bout the chroma key effect but i also want the video to just show through the letters and everything outside of the letters to be black

Participant

if you want the letters to be the video, use the generated media called “solid background” and use the chroma key effect for the white. if you want the video to be in the text, then you go into the crop tool on the text, and where the key frames are located, click on the bottom one at the beginning. then click all around the text which will create a mask. once the mask is created, everything else around it should turn black. just remember in that case to use the one called “default text” instead. and also, when creating the mask, you don’t want to to drag the lines, you just click and it creates the lines for you based on the space between the points that you clicked (if you try to drag it like you would drag a line in say Microsoft publisher, the mask will get all messed up and you will have to delete the mask and start again which can get very aggravating depending on how complicated the mask is)

Participant

there has to be a easier way..is it possible to merge multiple Text Tracks into just one?

Participant

how would that work? (what would that do that would allow video to go through the text)

is it video that you want to go through the text, or text that you want to go through the text?

Participant

video inside the text…just as if i was doing a “multiply mask” in Compositing Mode it would just show the video through the text and make everything else black…it would have been possible if i had all the text on the same track but i couldnt get proper placement so i used multiple tracks but now it only allows me to do a mask on one track..

Participant

if you are trying to do a mask on them at the same time, you just make them all children and create a parent track on which you create the mask. this will also create the mask for the child tracks. then you can use the parent compositing mode on the top track. (although I don’t often use that method, so I am not 100% sure if it will work or not)

Participant

although for what it does, I would still recomend the chromakey effect, and just use the eyedroper tool to click on the actual text, it would do the same thing, and would work for several tracks because you could just do a chromakey effect for each of the tracks. if you have more than one clip on each track, you could just do a track wide chromakey effect.

Participant

thanks for all your help i really appreciate it..i took the lazy way out…i just did the text in photoshop and imported it in vegas and used the chromakey and it worked just fine..thanks again

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors — 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap