Video format

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 16 years ago by AvatarAnonymous.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I am new to this video editing world, so my questions may sound a little dumb to many of the people here in the forum, but I am going to ask anyway…

I am having a hard time trying to convert my videos to AVI or MPEG, so that I can edit them using Adobe Premiere.

Question #1
      My camera is a Sony DCR-201, which records videos directly into mini DVDs. So, when I read on the book “…capture the video to your PC”, what I do is just copy the files from my DVD drive to the HD. Is this the right way to “capture” my videos?

Question #2
      When I copy the files to my HD, there are IFO and VOB files. It seems like VOB files are the ones where the actual videos are recorded. What are the IFO files for?

Question #3
      Are VOB files equivalent to MPEG files, in the sense that I can just rename them to MPEG extention in order to edit them?

Question #4
      How do I convert VOB to AVI ?

Inactive

virtualvideomaker Wrote:

Question #1
      My camera is a Sony DCR-201, which records videos directly into mini DVDs. So, when I read on the book “…capture the video to your PC”, what I do is just copy the files from my DVD drive to the HD. Is this the right way to “capture” my videos?

Wrong. You have to literally RIP the mini-DVD using your computer’s DVD-ROM/DVD+-RW drive, since it is already recorded in a specific Video-DVD format, it’s not like you can copy some files there from the disc and then edit them.

virtualvideomaker Wrote:

Question #2
      When I copy the files to my HD, there are IFO and VOB files. It seems like VOB files are the ones where the actual videos are recorded. What are the IFO files for?

See answer #1. Get Gordian Knot (simply the best…) or some other software that was provided to you with the camera (unlikely) and rip it.

virtualvideomaker Wrote:

Question #3
      Are VOB files equivalent to MPEG files, in the sense that I can just rename them to MPEG extention in order to edit them?

Not at all. You’d wish.

virtualvideomaker Wrote:

Question #4
      How do I convert VOB to AVI ?

Combined answer: download the Gordian Knot Rippack from http://www.gordianknot.sourceforge.net/ read all about it and good luck!

Inactive

I think I see a valuable lesson here:

If you’re interested in editing your own video, stay away from the camcorders that record directly to DVD. Stick with those that record to tape, i.e. mini DV.

Now, that having been said, I believe the latest version (9.4.2) of Pinnacle Studio will import from DVD for subsequent video editing. But don’t quote me. Perhaps an avid Pinnacle Studio user can verify.

However, you’ve already chosen your editing software to be Adobe Premiere. So the suggestions above from svhs sound like they’ll be your best bet.

Inactive

jla930 Wrote:

I think I see a valuable lesson here:

If you’re interested in editing your own video, stay away from the camcorders that record directly to DVD. Stick with those that record to tape, i.e. mini DV.

Now, that having been said, I believe the latest version (9.4.2) of Pinnacle Studio will import from DVD for subsequent video editing. But don’t quote me. Perhaps an avid Pinnacle Studio user can verify.

However, you’ve already chosen your editing software to be Adobe Premiere. So the suggestions above from svhs sound like they’ll be your best bet.

Correct me if I am wrong, but MiniDV camcorders require additional hardware to transfer the video from tape to PC. With mini DVD I just need to connect the camera via USB port. I need a software to rip the video from the mini dvd to my HD. Which one is more advantageous?

Inactive

As I said before (but not many people seem to notice me in this forum ), the most advantageous solution is really Gordian Knot, since it is open-source software (therefore freeware), if you find anything better and cheaper please let me know.
      You can download it from http://gknot.doom9.org/ (seems like the old link I gave you before isn’t working anymore). Be sure to read the guides, it won’t be easy to work with. But working with video is fun anyway, right?

Inactive

svhs Wrote:

But working with video is fun anyway, right?

There is nothing in this world that’s as enjoyable and as creative as working with video on one’s own computer. I’ve only been editing and authoring for a little over a year now, which I’m sure is just a flash in the pan compared to the experience of many others.

The first time I captured and edited video, I felt as if some bottled up creativity inside me just exploded. I truly felt like I was doing something that only artistic and technical professionals could do – which was probably true at one time. Authoring and burning a DVD with the final results was simply icing on the cake.

I don’t have professional video equipment by any stretch of the imagination. I don’t have a high-end cutting edge computer, and I don’t have the most versatile editing and authoring software. What I do have is the satisfaction of making video the way I want to make it with the tools that I have, which are more than ample for what I want to accomplish. It’s amazing what today’s tools will do.

Anyone who visits these forums is probably someone already doing their own video. How can we share the thrill of video editing with someone who isn’t yet doing their own video, and tell them what they’re missing out on? What a wonderful combination of creativity and consumer technology!

And we’re only scratching the surface of what lies ahead and will be possible in the very near future in the world of computer video editing. I can’t wait to see what comes next.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best Nikon lenses — 2021

Nikon cameras are a favorite for DSLR shooters. Nikon has their own line of lenses, but there are also some third-party options available for both F mounts and Z mounts. Here are the best Nikon lenses currently available on the...
homicide-bootstrap