Video for PAL (from NTSC)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
      Participant

Hello Videomaker community:

One of my clients wants to submit a video that I edited for her to a film festival in Spain. According to the instructions she send me the Film Exhibition Format can be HDCAM, Digi Beta PAL, Beta SP or other. I believe this are the camcorder original formats of recording not the final output (Please correct me if I’m wrong) I edited the video in NTSC and burn the DVD in NTSC. Since the film is for Spain, do I need to change the television standard to PAL? If so, I believe that if I take the original edited footage (.mov NTSC) and tell Encore to put PAL as the television standard I think it could work, but I’m not sure if I need to convert the original edited footage to PAL. I don’t want to have the problem (embarrassment) that the film festival judges cannot see the DVD for the format.

Participant

“I believe this are the camcorder original formats of recording not the final output”

You’re client is not wrong. In fact, it’s very common to output your master to HDCam and/or Beta.

“I edited the video in NTSC and burn the DVD in NTSC. Since the film is for Spain, do I need to change the television standard to PAL?”

That is something you’ll have to check in the submission guidelines, however, i would not be surprised if they wanted PAL.

“I believe that if I take the original edited footage (.mov NTSC) and tell Encore to put PAL as the television standard I think it could work, but I’m not sure if I need to convert the original edited footage to PAL.”

If you shot NTSC, you should edit in your project with NTSC settings. IDEALLY you should export your final project out to tape as NTSC and take it to a post house and ask them to convert to PAL. Take the new tape that the post house gives you and send THAT to the festival. (make sure you get 2 copies from the post house).

It’s not easy to convert NTSC to PAL, so a post house with a Teranex will give you the best results. If you don’t have the money to go to a post house, then all you’re left with is exporting out of your NLE as PAL.

Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
      Participant

I haven’t heard of a post house before and I’m not sure where one could be in my country, so I will need to export from the NLE as PAL. I imported the NTSC video to Premiere and conform it to DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587) and finally exported the video to Quicktime, Video Codec: DVCPRO50 PAL. Then in Encore I burn the DVD in PAL. My final results: My PS3 didn’t read the DVD, my neighbor DVD Player didn’t read it either, but my other neighbor portable DVD Player actually read it. I send an email to the film festival people asking about the format just in case.

“it’s very common output your master to HDCam and/or Beta.”

How do I output to this format? Is it in the NLE or do I need to send it to a post house?

Participant

“I imported the NTSC video to Premiere and conform it to DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587) and finally exported the video to Quicktime, Video Codec: DVCPRO50 PAL.”

NO. If your shot NTSC, then all your project settings should be NTSC – frame rate and resolution. The only time you should be dealing with PAL specs is when you export.

“My PS3 didn’t read the DVD, my neighbor DVD Player didn’t read it either, but my other neighbor portable DVD Player actually read it.”

Yea, it would make sense that your PS3 and neighbor’s DVD player didn’t read your PAL DVD if you don’t live in a country where PAL is the standard. And I’m guessing PAL is NOT the standard in your country because you have NTSC footage. If PAL is the standard, then why do you have NTSC footage?

“How do I output to this format? Is it in the NLE or do I need to send it to a post house?”

HDCam and Beta are tape formats. To output to these formats…you need those kinds of tapes, tape decks that are made for those tapes, and the necessary computer hardware, such as an AJA Kona or Xena card. It’s all quite expensive, and I’m guessing you don’t have it anyway, otherwise you would know how to output to these formats

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap