video editor needed

Viewing 48 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Seeking part-time free lance video editor for my internet show.

Needs to be low cost and I will keep you busy.

You can work from where you like. We will determine a system for upload and downloading the video clips.

We can collaborate over skype.

We work around your hours.

Please reach me at

http://www.livehappyandsuccessful.com

Participant

What’s low cost to you? $50/hour? $500 for a 5 minute video? Please be more specific.

Participant

Birdcat, more than likely for free or near to it.

Participant

@Charles – I have seen way too many Craig’s List ads looking for video editors and offering $8/hour – I am fed up with the morons who think my producing their video for free will add value to my resume. At this point, the only pro bono work I do is for legitimate charities or non-profits (Boy Scouts, National Parkinson Foundation, Juvenile Diabetes, various flavors of cancer, Autism awareness, etc…).

What makes people think their idea, which is unrealizable without the help of talented individuals, is worth more than the talents of those individuals?

Participant

I clicked on the link as well. Mr. Heights, I believe you are a perfect example of how poor video can negatively effect a business. That’s like going out to buy a new pair of dirty torn pants to wear to a job interview. First impressions and all.

This is also the reason I am making the move beyond the industry I have been working in. The economy has taken its toll but going cheap on video is not a good move IMHO. There is still good work in the outdoor industry but many companies are looking to cut the fat a bit and video quality is one of those areas they are doing it in.

The end result is a poor company image and that does effect sales. Not to mention, who wants to have even the word of mouth going around of something like “Hey, check out this guy. He made my business look like crap for me real cheap.”

Of course the idea they have is you make their business look great for cheap but…

Participant

I saw this great T-shirt recently pertaining to video production. It said basically –

“Pick two – Fast, Cheap, Good.”

Since video production is my second job I base my minimum rates on how much I can make doing overtime for my main job plus my expenses. It’s helped me put things in perspective and not take jobs that turn out to be more headache than they’re worth. Now I only do theprojects I’m really interested in or the ones that actually pay the bills.

Participant

You guys are brutal! Very funny though. Probably just another case of having no clue about what he’s asking for (…and not knowing most of us have heard that all before)! I think I first saw the link to the following video on this forum – since then I have shared it with a number of people.

BruceMol – thanks for re-sharing… we did pass that around the forums a while back and it’s definitely a classic worth sharing often.

@ the rest of you posters, right on. Why is it people don’t bat an eye at a quote from an attorney or accountant for $250 an hour, even though you can’t see how they do the work or prove how long it took them, but poor video editors have to prove themselves every single time… and still get burned?

A friend sent my name to a guy looking for a shooter-editor for his weekly internet “How To” gardening series, which required about 30 hours of work each week for a 5-minute piece. But he only wanted to pay $10 per minute of finished footage. I mean.. really? I actually did two of his shows for a flat fee of $300 each before he dumped me … advertising on his website that he was looking for someone to do it for free “for the love of gardening” because his current video producer demanded too much money and too much of his time.

I’m making family videos of the grand-kids now – well produced polished memories they’ll have forever. I’ve closed up my little home-office video business for good!

Participant

$10 per minute of video?! HAHAHA!! Did you ask him if he thinks all the 30s commercials he sees on TV cost $5 to produce? That is by far the most absurd payment offer I have ever heard.

If they took 30/hrs a week to produce, I’m amazed you did two for $300 each.

I consider myself somewhat of a reasonably priced video producer while SOME of my peers might refer to me unrealistically as a “scum sucking bottom feeder” and I cannot possibly be THAT because there are WAY too many people taking Craigslist jobs and/or working for ultracheap/free.

What has worked for me in this economy is learning to say “no” to people who cannot appreciate, nor realize, the value of what I can do. And they should simply because they cannot do it themselves, or if they try it looks like something a scum sucking bottom feeder might produce.

I get the occasional GREAT gig from clients like the California State University System and a few others who, while not in the UPPER budgets bracket, do treat a professional fairly … mostly. I also produce in another arena that keeps me from having to say yes to lesser gigs for companies and individuals who think producers/editors/shooters grow on trees … what I call “work once, sell many” functions that offer an opportunity to make good money selling 50 or more, if not hundreds, of copies of the event.

So, am I offended by people who want me to work for nothing, for free or on the cheap. Sure. Do they piss me off. Sure. But I have to smile because the easiest way for our industry (as a whole) to keep cheap people from having their way with us is to just say no.

The truth of it guys is because of the ‘Tube and accessible video gear, people think video is both easy and cheap to do. It can be if you know exactly what you are doing and understand what ‘cheap’ actually is. YouTube has set such a low standard that even when pros put their stuff up there, viewers think somebody just ran out with a camera and ‘did it’. That and you have all of these people looking for a service they have no idea of how much it takes to produce.

Like Jenifer said, ‘they understand attorney fees’, accountant fees, plumbers and so on with the recognition they will have to fork over for good service. Video and photography is accessible to the average Joe/Jane and businesses know they can get hungry students and ammy’s looking to break in for a nickle per ton.

I recently did an editing job where I put together a sequence from some amateur footage. They were impressed with what I did with the useable material and it was still 100x better than so-called ‘professionally shot’ work from other companies using a similar process. Sad was the only word I could think of. So by no means am I surprised at any of this. I effin’ hate Craigslist because every now and then real work pops up. It’s just having to sift through all the BS just to get to it.

As for Luke Heights, sir there is no profit to be made from making a ton of videos for little money. Who cares if you ‘keep me busy’ if what you offer does not cover the cost of my services. If you don’t want to pay a pro, you can take your chances with a student or someone with video gear and not much experience. There are numerous pro’s out there who can put together a package for you that will give you good value without sending you to debtor’s prison. Better to spend the extra cash to get the work done properly than have someone inexperienced produce a poor product for you.

Participant

I’ve heard that Oprah Winfrey once said “If you don’t value your time your customers will not value you/your work”.

I think she’s nailed it pretty well right there.

Participant

I belong to the South Florida Professional Video Association and this email came from them this morning:

Getting killed by low-ballers and kids with DSLRs?

We’ve noticed a definite drop in business over the past couple of years.
    We’re consistently losing bids to people doing corporate videos for as
    little as $300 (shot and edited) and clients no longer seem to know (or
    care) about things such as professional sound vs. crappy on-board
    microphones, proper lighting vs. flat available light, royalty-free
    music vs. material stolen off the web, etc. And I’m not even addressing finer points such as framing, composition, post-production, levels, grading, compression, etc.

And this isn’t just Mom & Pop businesses either, we recently lost a bid for a large multi-billion dollar multinational whose YouTube channel is teeming with amateurish, poorly-produced videos.

The competition hasn’t gotten better, it’s just gotten more numerous. From having hung out on videography forums, I’ve come to realize that most of the newcomers don’t even know how to use their equipment, and that a large number simply leave their camera in full auto mode. These are the people we’re competing against now.

Even people on our side of the fence seem to lose sight of what matters. An ad agency we’ve been trying to develop a partnership with recently wrote a blog recommending their clients they take the DIY route by buying an inexpensive DSLR camera and taking a one-day workshop in order to make their own corporate video. These are people who should know better for having dealt with “My niece could do this copy in Photoshop”!

So what does it mean to professionals if experience and technical know-how don’t mean anything anymore to clients who turn a blind eye to poor quality so long as they can save a couple hundred bucks? I certainly didn’t get into the business to do assembly-line work – I’d be doing $399 weddings and birthday parties otherwise. But unless the pendulum swings the other way, I am seriously reassessing the future of the business, and I’m wondering if others have had similar sobering experiences lately.

Participant

I’m usually not that annoying guy who spouts about the glass being half full at the wrong moment but I do have hope this will all change. I do believe we will come out of this recession and companies will once again see the value of quality video.

It a part of what makes them competitive. All they need to see is their competition looking better and the ball will be rolling. I’ve seen many companies go to the DSLR Kid the last two years myself. Their video’s didn’t just lack quality but the message the company is trying to get across falls flat on its face as well. Those companies will eventually see that in their end of quarter numbers and wake up.

Participant

One thing that gets me is my supervisor, being young enough to be my son, likes shaky camera work. To me unless circumstances demand it love a tripod or at least a stabilizer system. Our profession is being overtaken by those who grew up with YouTube and the lousy camera work on it. We had a marketing guru come in about a year ago and stated that YouTube videos must be less than perfect; wait what! I am a professional that has been a photographer for more than 25 years and would never hear a client tell me they want less than pro work. What gives with the less than perfect work from a videographer?

Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
    Participant

Since video is (or has) become a big trend in the Internet marketing world many marketers are jumping in to get a piece of it (Luke videos are a good example). Like Birdcat mentioned, some sites are encouraging people to take the DIY route because it’s inexpensive and it helps in Google rankings and all that search engine optimization stuff. Yes it works, but if your video is bad, is bad period. I bet that many of this first timers Internet marketers “video producers” don’t even consider the production steps when making a video. From what I seen, talking faces webcam videos with a bookshelf as background are what this marketers are making. Of course a pro can make this videos look incredible using different graphics, camera angles, etc, but IT COST MONEY to make. A pro will not do this cheap (even a talking face video) because a true pro will sit down with you to write some kind of script and plan ahead everything. Also pros don’t edit video with consumer softwares, they have a complete suite of programs for every aspect of video. A good way to know the diference between a pro editor and a low baller is by asking for a specific thing in your video. A pro will most likely tell you “of course I can do that”.

As for birthday videos, weddings and events I don’t do them anymore because not a single person can pay me what the video is worth. To quote $800 for such videos is like I’m telling them a joke. Is exactly like the video Bruce posted. I honestly got tired of fighting a lot of cheapos.

Wow, how true. In my non-video business world, I have been through years of struggle and suffering because of the incompetency of those who over promise and under deliver. There is a plague out there of incompetents. So what have I done? Last month I fired the bookkeeper and salesman and went out and sought the very best with good rewards for a job well done. Perform and you will reap the benefits. Right away, the sales are coming together, organization is falling back into place, mistakes are being corrected and finally I am feeling rather good about the future. A welcome breath of fresh air.

And I have no problem of saying no or refusing to pay over inflated invoices for shoddy work.

Moral of the story: Surround yourself with the very best (clients, buds, fellow members, cast, crew, directors etc.) and run, don’t walk from the rest. Spielberg does that, even if he has to wait for 6 months to find Elliot in ET, or Guy Hamilton’s wait for Gert Frobe as Goldfinger (arrived just days before shooting). These choices made these productions world classics.

Somewhere in the bowels of these forums, someone once stated: Do a movie for free just once and you will NEVER do it again. Good advice!

I suggest that you make a portfolio so damn good, brilliant, obscenely powerful that any client will look at it and be awed and blown away. When they see that, and you tell them how long it took, they will covet wanting the same and are mentally prepared to get it without argument to cost. I have found out that they are far more appreciative for an expensive and well done production that makes them look like a million, sell their goods, and impress their friends. The others who want to nit-pick – walk. They are not worth the time of day to even discuss it.

Participant

I can’t help but remark that the original poster hasn’t returned to this thread. Just saying…

Participant

There’s a saying “You can have it Fast, Good and Cheap…pic two”. “Fast and good” will cost the most money, “good and cheap” will take the most time as its mostly volunteer work and “fast and cheap” will cost you the most quality.

I used to believe in that saying and just go by it. I think its a phase a lot of people in this industry go through but I’ve completely stopped doing work I wouldn’t put in a demo reel.

It caused a low in work for a while but that was just because I needed to develop better directions to market myself and that takes time. Taking the short cut never did me or any client any favors. My last boss always wanted everything cheap, cheaper and for free. He’s in Chapter 13 right now, that’s where that road goes.

If the original poster was looking for plumbing repair, I’m sure he could find someone to just patch things for the mean time but if he went on a forum for plumbers, he’d find people who don’t take short cuts and provide a real service of developing solutions and fixing things the right way. I don’t really think any profession would come up with different results under similar circumstances.

My telling him he was an example of the negative effects of poor video was not meant disrespectfully, Its killing his image. I hope he see’s that before its to late.

Participant

I keep getting emails from guys willing to do video editing work for me and I’m thinking, “I need to find that post where I ask for HELP and remove it.”

I came back to this post to remove it and stumbled upon everyone’s comments. I’m so glad I didn’t read them back when I originally posted it because I would have probably crawled under a rock and much worse, stopped creating my own videos.

Reflecting, I have to admit I will probably think twice before posting on this forum again. You guys are a tough bunch. If any newbie takes the time to read this post you better not post here unless you have super thick skin.

A big thank you to those of you that have given me helpful advice, positive feedback, and have helped with getting my video skills into better shape.

Oh, if a moderator could remove the original post that would be helpful. I’m doing my own editing.

Appreciated reading the reply, Luke, though it took what, three months, to get around to it? My opinion as moderator here is that there’s invaluable information on this thread regarding the state of the video industry, work ethics and values, confidence, reality and much, much more.

I salute you, though, for returning to reply after 90 days. Ironically, your opening statement about getting e-mails from guys willing to do video editing work for you (at what rates?) substantiates just about EVERYTHING that was said in the responses to your opening entry. I doubt anyone here said you WOULD NOT get responses, replies, people willing to try to negotiate rates with you or even accept work with you … more on THAT later.

Sorry to hear you’re nervous about posting here again. Personally, I think an actual update from time-to-time regarding your progress, experience, the developments and possibly, your success would be well-received. But I agree that Craigs List is probably a better place to generate a post looking for CHEAP labor, if that’s ALL you were seeking.

People here, amateur, beginner, experienced, hobbyist, cheap, old, young all pretty appreciate the value of video, what they do with it, what it’s worth and prefer to be perceived as professionally inclined if not professionally established in the video world. Most of those working for free or CHEAP are working for themselves but not placing blame for that on the fact that others won’t do it for them for their price … they’re doing it because they want the creative control and self-satisfaction of a job well done, if by no other standards than their own. Which brings me back to MORE ON THAT LATER …

… and perhaps something you’ve discovered as well. In the second paragraph of your belated response you said. “…stopped creating my own videos.” which evidently you have not, and that is a GOOD THING. Then, in your closing response you say, “I’m doing my own editing.” THAT is also good because I’ve no doubt you’ll appreciate the time, effort, energy and more that goes into creating your productions, probably much moreso than you would have the cheap labor you would have hired might have generated.

I’m glad that you felt sufficient useful information was provided in that you thanked “those of you that have given me helpful advice, positive feedback, and have helped with getting my video skills into better shape.” I know this to be true, at least in the time I’ve been involved with the forums here. Ask questions, no matter how elementary, and any person, fresh and new or established and professional, and if there are answers to be had, they will be provided.

Perhaps you WERE simply young, inexperienced and a bit naive when you posted originally. Chances are you’re now somewhat better informed and if you read ALL the content of these many responses/replies, you’ve certainly garnered even MORE useful information regarding the value of the video production industry.

Hope you’ll reconsider NOT posting here again, and that technical, production, creative and other questions regarding your operation will get posted here so you’ll see the kinder, gentler side of the many outstanding people who come here to seek and share all things video.

Participant

Luke, I agree with you that you should edit your own material. I checked out your YouTube page and got a sense of who you are. You have some good ideas. I also agree with Earl, that you reconsider not posting. After all – you need a thick skin in this business. Plus, don’t forget that living happy and successful is entirely a state of mind;)

I recommend you continue your efforts, come back here for guidance when necessary and pass on what you learn to new members. Good luck!

Luis Oscar MaymiLuis Oscar Maymi
    Participant

After all – you need a thick skin in this business.

I agree 100% with Ed on this. This is a tough business in which you will get insulted (especially in the film part), you will get ignored, you will get awful critics and many more.

I would have probably crawled under a rock and much worse, stopped creating my own videos.

NEVER stop creating videos no matter whateveryonesays, but ALWAYS look to perfect this noble art. Don’t conformyourselfwith low production value videos, always aim for better. Don’t discard Videomaker’s forums and feel free to post about your projects and progress. The community understands that doing good videos is not easy and they will happily give you feedback for you to get better. Be warned that we are (like you mentioned) a tough bunch because we care about our art and we don’t conform with low production value videos. Most of the people here are pros with years of experience so expect hard suggestions. Although if you post something in the forums reply back as quickly as possible.

Many success

Participant

the future is written..
    some just don’t want to face it..
    we’re being replaced by robots..

http://blogs.reuters.com/photographers-blog/2012/07/04/robo-cams-go-for-olympic-gold/

truth is these robot cams combined with drones and advanced metadata tagging and searcing of video images WILL make it possible to have an entire event shot from multiple angles, and edited with minimal human input..

imagine then having a google earth type interface where image and facial recognition combined with gps and compas info allows a viewer or editor to choose video or stills from multiple cams and angles.
    then imagine it becomes cheap and a cell phone ap is all you need to buy instead of hiring a photographer or videographer…

Don, do you REALLY think your post regarding “the future is written” is relevant to this thread? I tried to determine if there was ANY element of it that spoke to either the original post, the accompanying responses or the subsequent remarks from the last couple of days … NADA! Maybe you could make this a new post instead of placing it here where probably not a lot of people will see it or figure out the non-existent connection. I’ll probably delete it later today as I don’t know the process for moving it or making it its own post topic.

Participant

lots of good info in here…
    @luke knowing that my youtube channel is very “youtubish” i know i will be judged as such for now…but that is 50% of the reason i like this forum is because i dont get jerked around about the level i am at based on the product i have put up &^^&…but even my garbage video links i put up, people here still took the time to have a look and give feedback, there is a pool of knowledge i dont know where i would find anywhere else, so between asking questions and lurking reading threads you can get lot of useful knowledge…on thing i know for sure is if you have a question, there are other people who have the same question, someone just needs to have the balls to ask for the good of everyone, no matter how stupid…i know there will be plenty coming from me

Participant

@Don, I’m not a robot! Well, not 100% robot.

@Gut, I agree, I’m here to learn.

@Everyone, I wish you all the best of luck in video. On to the next project.

Participant

I use AE6, Pinnacle, and Corel. I have access to Red Giant, Magic Bullet, and more. What sort of look are you after? I can do your editing for a low price. Normally I charge $50.00 per hour, but I can do it for $20.00 per hour.

I do effects, cool transitions, and more. Let me know what you need.

Participant

yes, are you still looking for an editor?

I am just starting out in the commercial market(have filmed, and produced videos privately for years).

what are you looking for?

im a graphic designer

HEMZA  BENYOUCEF
    F    r    e   e    l    a    n   c   e  r  

Contact Information:
    Enveloppe
    e-mail : HMZ@hotmail.it
      Algeria :
    Uae :  

Some of my work:

The best work in the private Challenge creators texts CG Way 2013

http://up.cgway.net/out.php/i16349_8311327712ce93a8ca96b.jpg

Thread:
    http://forums.cgway.net/cg54979/

Photography :
    Best picture in the nature of competition:

http://forums.cgway.net/cg48508/

And many:
    http://forums.cgway.net/cg48993/

Photography + Editing + mixing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q593GHzwsY

Music + Editor:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MnI4MdKC78

Idea, Introduction, graphic display + mixing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L201GCKIhag

Work with graphical editing and mixing different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3z1D9iBzfg
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDH0d-IXs14
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRqE9Gq0Aac
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNF8foMwPHI

you can experience and I will work for free

1 – discipline in appointments

2 focus and logical thinking

3 – a very high IQ

4 – quiet foul and non-polemical

5 tact in talking and flip screen

6 – good listening and understanding and realize consciously positions and focus

7 – Good appearance and elegance

8 the ability to cope with critical situations wisely

9 – to take responsibility and face the consequences of decisions consistently

10 – strength of character and composure and firmness

Participant

Hello, we are looking for an editor for our documentary film project. We will be doing biographies so we need someone who’s experienced in this area and can make the final project exciting. Must be experienced in Final Cut Pro X. Our film is looking to be shown nationally as well as internationally and entered into Sundance. If the first project goes well we are going to make a series of these, at least five other documentaries. Initially this would not be a paid project but as our funding comes in and by second project this’ll be fully funded production. We have our own equipment for editing. Ultimately we are looking for someone who will be responsible for the post editing and the completion of the project. This is going to be an exciting job and it’s also going to lead to travel across Europe. Please contact us at 415-756-6167 and ask for Kary.

In any country you !!!!????

I can not communicate with you

415-756-6167

Participant

I am in San francisco, What is your experience?

I have experience of more three years
    In editing, graphics, and color correction Colorist
    I worked with MSA co in UAE

Participant

It might be hard to work with someone so far away we are in San Francisco

Participant

I like your work though would you charge to edit a 90 min documentary?

u can test me online Send me the details on HMZ@Hotmail.it

Participant

ill do it for free

Participant

i am intereste.please know me your opinion.

Participant

I would be happy to do it for free. I have experiense

After reading all the post – one thing that comes to mind is how "untrained or in experiene" these younger people have become. On many occassions, they have no way to compare to "professional work". We who care about the end results just have to keep showing clients what is good and what is bad. Not the best solution but a wokrable one for now

Hi Guy's can you please share more information as to your requirements. ive worked on severeal low budget music videos

Hello. I can edit your project! That is my ShowReel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmcSOH7bfw

please contact me to e-mail: sfc24info@gmail.com

Participant

Hello MR. Heights. I was looking around Videomaker.com and saw you need a video editor. Well your in luck, I’m here! I am still in school how ever but can get your vids done by the end of a few days ( because I work right after school ). Trust me though, I can get them faster than you think and more efficiently too! As pricing goes, I will only charge $10 – $25 every vid, and if that isn’t good enough I will even go as low as YOU want! All I wish to do is edit, I love doing it, I just haven’t had many people allow me to edit their vids. That doesn’t mean I am not that good. In regards to my work, I have done many videos of my own, some for LCTI’s Senior Awards night, and the JacobsBurg Historical Society. The rest of the details we can work out another time ( if that’s ok with you ). Have a good one sir!

-Wursta Burger Productions
    “The One and Only”
    http://wurstaburger.businesscatalyst.com/

Hey, Every one if there is some one want a video shooting, Editing or other stuff related on Multimedia in EAST AFRICA am here

Email: irankysauveur@gmail.com
    Tel; +250785569290

I'm available to edit videos and currently edit 10 minute shows for a local TV station, too.    Here is a link to my reel https://vimeo.com/228252659  and a link to my website http://www.fastcoastproductions.com 

I will charge you 25$ per hour. Here is my email address contact me: chrismamooe@gmail.com

Participant

[quote=birdcat]

I belong to the South Florida Professional Video Association and this email came from them this morning:

Getting killed by low-ballers and kids with DSLRs?

We've noticed a definite drop in business over the past couple of years.
    We're consistently losing bids to people doing corporate videos for as
    little as $300 (shot and edited) and clients no longer seem to know (or
    care) about things such as professional sound vs. crappy on-board
    microphones, proper lighting vs. flat available light, royalty-free
    music vs. material stolen off the web, etc. And I'm not even addressing finer points such as framing, composition, post-production, levels, grading, compression, etc.

[/quote]

Sort of like those guys who offer to do 5 minute videos for $100, when the going rate for a basic un-edited 30 second news clip in the SFL market sells for $500+?

Wayne

Participant

[quote=D0n]

the future is written..
    some just don't want to face it..
    we're being replaced by robots..[/quote]

Unfortunately within the studio robotics are becoming the norm, down here we have a “news” station that uses 4 JVC GY-HD-250 cameras on robotics peds, every shot is pre-programmed and runs without human intervention, on top of that the set is virtual running a Chyron system, needless to say operating costswhere cut to the bone and heads where chopped as well.

Luckily for us guys in the field they have not found a way to reliably send us out to pasture yet, even with the encroachment of “citizen journalists” and the free but quite crappy content they provide.

But as you stated times are a changing, which as I remind my brethren is the reason we need to provide top notch content without compromising price.

Then there’s Craig’s List and don’t even get me started on that digital rag. 

Wayne      

Participant

[quote=EarlC]

Don, do you REALLY think your post regarding "the future is written" is relevant to this thread?

[/quote]

It is relevant and I am willing to bet you would be suprised as to how robotic the process of editing video has become as well and why we are seeing a lowering of the bar in the quality of the subsquent content, it began in the music industry and is sadly now infecting the video industry.

Down here I have known of national network clusters to offer an editor $12.00 per and have an attitute they are doing the guy a favor by hiring him.

The industry is bleeding to death and managemant in the quest to cut OPEX continues to slash where ever they can.

Wayne

Participant

[quote=WSanford]I'm usually not that annoying guy who spouts about the glass being half full at the wrong moment but I do have hope this will all change. I do believe we will come out of this recession and companies will once again see the value of quality video. [/quote]

Personally I do not think that is going to happen outside of the small business market where the managers making the decisions have their finger on the pulse of the customer, all too often what I am seeing is mid level managers who run quarter to quarter making decisions that benefit their advertising budget and in turn their quarterly bonus who have little regard to the overall performance of the companies campaign long term.

They live day to day waiting to hit the Power Ball so they can take the job they hate and a company they have the same regard for and tell them to shove it.

It is a pervasive and mentally sick attitude that I had a lot of trouble understanding, as I have been, I guess spoiled, because for the most part I have always loved the various jobs I endured through but, I find this “I hate my stinking job” becoming more and more common in today’s corporate culture.

[quote]It a part of what makes them competitive. All they need to see is their competition looking better and the ball will be rolling. I've seen many companies go to the DSLR Kid the last two years myself. Their video's didn't just lack quality but the message the company is trying to get across falls flat on its face as well. Those companies will eventually see that in their end of quarter numbers and wake up.[/quote]

I do hope that will happen, but until then I will not be holding my breath.

Wayne 

Participant

[quote=cschultz314]One thing that gets me is my supervisor, being young enough to be my son, likes shaky camera work. To me unless circumstances demand it love a tripod or at least a stabilizer system. [/quote]

That began with Dick Wolf to provide a “live look” and was a very controlled to give the dramatic impression of a live shot and as been milked to death by those who either can not either control a camera or fail to understand it’s (movements) place within a production.

[quote]Our profession is being overtaken by those who grew up with YouTube and the lousy camera work on it. [/quote]

While part of that is true, I disagree with the comment “overtaken,” we as videographers and this will be nasty comment, must always stomp into the dirt, those who try to bring down to the gutter video to the level of pop culture.

[quote]We had a marketing guru come in about a year ago and stated that YouTube videos must be less than perfect; wait what![/quote]

Excuse me, if this was not a public forum I would call that person an nasty name for he or she is clueless, YouTube provides a excellent forum for presenting very good HD content and anyone who fails to take advantage (based on the clients needs) is failing to provide the client with a good value for the production funds spent.

[quote]I am a professional that has been a photographer for more than 25 years and would never hear a client tell me they want less than pro work. What gives with the less than perfect work from a videographer? [/quote]

Craig’s List losers who think they are videographers.

Wayne

• Viewing 48 reply threads

Best Products

The best new video tech at CES 2019

Every year, we head to CES to check out the latest innovations in consumer technology and look for the next big thing in video production. CES 2019 was no exception.
    homicide-bootstrap