video editing/post production

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

I’m totally new to video so I’m not quite sure what the actual terms are. But, what software do the studios use to make the movies look the way they do. If you watch outtakes in the extras on a DVD it’s a totally different quality than the feature. What are they doing/using to make it look like a movie instead of the outtakes? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Inactive

For the most part, they use 35 to 70mm film to shoot the movies (although a lot of them are shooting digital now). Once that is done, the film is sent of and color corrected, edited, and all that good stuff.

The digital video cameras that will shoot "like the movies" shoot at 24 frames per second as opposed to 30 frames (video). In Episode II and III of Star Wars, they used 24 frame progressive high definition camera systems. Of course, these weren’t your run of the mill cameras…they cost about 100 times more than what your average pro-sumer camera costs. But again, like the film process, the video went through the same thing with color correction, editing, the addition of special effects, etc.

For a step-by-step process of how a movie is made, check out this site:
      http://www.learner.org/exhibits/cinema/index.html

Inactive

mgcchkn, I have to agree with elderban.

It all starts first with the camera and the format being used. THEN it goes to the editing systems. If you’re just a average Joe, you would need a boat load of money to pay for the gear needed to get the look that you’re looking for.

RAM

Inactive

I have worked in a VFX house, though not directly for this process, my understanding of it is:

The filmstock is Scanned in at an insane cineon Size (12 + megs per frame) It is then colour corrected inside of a compositing program such as fusion complete with FX, then it is transferred BACK to film.

Cheers.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

Best Canon lenses — 2021

There are a number of Canon lenses on the market for both their DSLR and mirrorless cameras, these are our picks for EF, EF-S and RF mounts.
homicide-bootstrap