Video Editing Software Selection for the Project?

Videomaker – Learn video production and editing, camera reviews Forums General Video and Film Discussion Video Editing Software Selection for the Project?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hi guys, I’m glad that I found this community.

Situation: I’m going to work on a video project for my school, where I have to edit the video lectures. Ultimately these video clips will be posted on the website in Flash format.(like youtube). I downloaded some software trials (ulead and cyberlink power director) and did some testing and found Ulead 11 plus good enough for my requirements. But non of these software has capability to transfer video clips directly to flash format. School wants to keep the budget low. So Adobe premier or Sony Vegas pro will be our last choice.

Editing involves splitting the long lectures into small chunks, adding school logo on the final cut, some subtitle showing the name of the speaker and date of the lecture, and raising the audio level (because some speakers don’t speak loud enough)

My Problem:
      To find a software that can directly convert video files to adjustable Flash (FLV) files.

My current solution is : edit the video, save as mpeg, and then convert the saved part to FLV using Riva encoder (free)

Question:

Which Video editing software will convert video files directly to FLV?

Which one is better: adobe premier elements, sony vegas basic or Ulead VideoStudio

What are the good above basic computer requirements for video editing?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks.

πŸ™‚

Participant

The version of Vegas 7 that I’ve got doesn’t support flash and as for Premiere, I don’t know.

Which one is better: adobe premier elements, sony vegas basic

I haven’t tried those versions but I do have experience with Premiere Pro CS3 and Vegas’s professional version.
      For the most part, I’d say that Vegas is slightly better but these two programs are actually quite similar to each other.
      Sony Vegas- very easy to use but just as professional as any other high end editing program. I really like its easy to use drag and drop timeline which allows you to adjust quite a few things right on it. It also offers automatic transitions which are applied when two consecutive video clips overlap which I find extremely logical since a transition is nothing more than going from one scene to another and the duration of the overlap is the duration of the transition (which by default is a crossfade but you can choose from a whole bunch of others). So far it is also the only software I’ve found that allows you to do very quick fade ins and fade outs, something you’ll use a lot, especially when working with multiple audio tracks at the same time. And Sony Vegas is also extremely flexible with formats whereby it doesn’t care about the codec, file extenstion, framerate or resolution but simply allows you to stick everything onto one timeline.
      Adobe Premiere is also pretty good. The timeline isn’t as flexible as that of Vegas (like how you have to go into trim mode instead of being in it all the time by default) and I haven’t found a way to create automatic transitions and fade ins/outs but instead have to drag and drop those one by one onto the timeline. It also offers some nice compositing possibilities by allowing you to adjust the size and position of your video right in the preview window but on the other hand, it doesn’t handle video playback very well or at least with the formats I’ve tried (.mov and .avi).

Participant

Thanks. But are there any other video editors under $200 export video to flv?

Inactive

I’ve used both Vegas and Abobe and I like Adobe better but that’s only because it’s easier to me.
      In the end go with the one you like best.

Adobe Elements 3 [which I use as a backup to CS3] will allow you to render flv files.
      They now have Elements 4 so I’m going to guess that you can do flv files with 4 as well.

I’ve worked with 1gig of ram all the way up to 4gigs. 1gig is good and unless you are working with HD or HDV then you would do well with 2gigs. I’d say 1gig is good but more never hurt.
      I think people should look more at their graphics card and memory. Again more is better but 256 of graphic memory is good unless you are working with HD.
      Hard drive space can become an issue so go with as much hard drive space as you can.
      More is better…..

Based on what you wrote, I don’t think you’ll need a mega-computer however.

Participant

hi hidef1080, you have solved most of my problems. Thanks a lot. I have two more questions. If I use Riva Encoder to convert a file to FLV, will it be inferior to a file converted by Adobe Elements? And what about processor requirements, do I need 3ghs or above?

Thanks again.

Inactive

I’ve never used Riva but if gives you the options of two pass and VBR [variable bit-rate encoding] with the On2 codec you will be good to go. [Equal to an Adobe encoder]

You do not need 3GHz for SD video and Flash. Standard Definition video and Flash don’t tax your system as hard as High Definition but there is nothing wrong with future proofing and going with a high end system IF you know you’ll be going down the road of HD in the future. If you know SD and Flash for web delivery is what you want and need then I would not build or buy a super system because you won’t need it. [My two cents]
      If you have Intel’s Core 2 duo or some processor in that class you are okay.

I used a Sony Vaio laptop with an Intel 1.83 single processor and a 128 video memory card and I never ran into any trouble until I tried working with HD.

Good luck to you.
      It sounds like a fun project for school. 8)

Participant

Thanks a lot. Finally, I’ve made up mind to go with Adobe Premiere Elements 4.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

The best video monitors β€” 2021

We rely on our video monitors to show us an accurate representation of our images throughout the production process. Here are some of the best video monitors currently on the market.
homicide-bootstrap