Video Editing PC

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Inactive

Hi all,

I know this has been asked alot but I can’t seem to find any info for my specific situation.

I’d like to buy a PC to edit my videos. I can spend up to $1,400 on a PC. Here’s the computer that I found. Is this good enough? Overkill? To expensive?

HP Pavilion Elite m9200t customizable Desktop PC
      KL649AV#ABA

• Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q9300
      • 4GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (4×1024)
      • 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, TV-out, DVI-I, HDMI
      • 802.11 b/g USB Wireless LAN card
      • 750GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
      • LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
      • 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, video, audio
      • ATSC-NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote
      • Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
      • Norton Internet Security(TM) 2008 – 15 month
      • Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
      • HP keyboard and HP optical mouse
      • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

HP Deskjet D1560 Printer – FREE

Total: $1,139.98

Thanks

EDIT: Here’s some more specifics

• I plan on using Adobe Premerie 4
      • I’m not going to film in HD. (I’m using an old DV Camcorder (Sony DCR-TRV27)
      • I do not plan on going very heavy on any 3D digital effects
      • I will have 50+ hours of footage that will need to be edited
      • My PC will be dedicated to Video Editing only
      Inactive

For what you want to do, that computer would be more that enough. The processor and amound of RAMin that package leave the door open for HD eding in the future. I would, however recommend Windows XP Pro instead of Vista. Vista still has some bugs and security issues that need to be worked out. XP Pro is more stable, and requires less processing and memory power to run. Other than that, your setup sounds great. If you are definitely planning on not editing HD in the near future, then you could lower the RAM to two gigs. That would save a couple hundred bucks, and still be pleny of memory. Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Inactive

i would also recommend an additional hard drive, make a system drive and a data drive. you do not want to caputre to a drive that is processing system resources i.e. swap files, program executables.

John

Inactive

Thanks for the responses

HP doesn’t offer this package with XP πŸ™ ..

John: What type of Hard Drive should I get internal/external? If external what type of connection should it be USB or FireWire ( i think there is such a thing as a firewire connection for an external hard drive). What size Hard Drive do I need for project files, photos (70+), and video 50+ hours?

Also is the price for that package reasonable? Can I find a similar configuration for cheaper?

Inactive

i would just get a sata internal drive. as far as space, that’s up to you, keeping in mind that 1 hour of DV avi is approx. 13 gigabytes.

John

Inactive

i would just get a sata internal drive. you dont need a huge system drive, maybe 250 gig max. the 750 gig drive might be enough as far as space, that’s up to you, keeping in mind that 1 hour of DV avi is approx. 13 gigabytes.

John

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Best Products

homicide-bootstrap